Henlo. Don't know where I was in my head when I bought this system...

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
But I didn't check this forum... apparently. Or the choices or lack of a 1,2,3 guide overwhelmed me.

I got a Reolink RLN8-410-E, and it sat in a box (mostly) for months, until I could get the power system up to the capability to provide the estimated 80 watts of power to run the NVR + 4 cameras.

I unboxed it more fully in the last few days, hooked it up to a monitor, and it seems to work. I upgraded the NVR to the latest firmware, but when trying to upgrade a D400 IPC_5128M camera running 18092104 to 20041561, I get an error (see attached). Whether I try to use the IPC upgrade through USB option on the NVR, or connect directly to the camera through my laptop port. I wondered if there was an in-between firmware Reolink had posted, which is a prerequisite to uploading 20041561, as that newer firmware seems like quite a jump in version numbers.

Next lifetime I'll get some of the other cameras you recommend. For now, let's see if this one can get working.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But I didn't check this forum... apparently. Or the choices or lack of a 1,2,3 guide overwhelmed me.

I got a Reolink RLN8-410-E, and it sat in a box (mostly) for months, until I could get the power system up to the capability to provide the estimated 80 watts of power to run the NVR + 4 cameras.

I unboxed it more fully in the last few days, hooked it up to a monitor, and it seems to work. I upgraded the NVR to the latest firmware, but when trying to upgrade a D400 IPC_5128M camera running 18092104 to 20041561, I get an error (see attached). Whether I try to use the IPC upgrade through USB option on the NVR, or connect directly to the camera through my laptop port. I wondered if there was an in-between firmware Reolink had posted, which is a prerequisite to uploading 20041561, as that newer firmware seems like quite a jump in version numbers.

Next lifetime I'll get some of the other cameras you recommend. For now, let's see if this one can get working.
Welcome @Dno

Drop their tech support a line, they should be able to assist hopefully.

Reactions: Dno

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @Dno

Drop their tech support a line, they should be able to assist hopefully.
I've been talking w their technical support. They ask questions like 'what is the link you are using to download the firmware?'.

After answering them 3 times, I figured I'd post here. It seems Engrish is their second language.

Video of the issue:

Play it back at 1.25x

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been talking w their technical support. They ask questions like 'what is the link you are using to download the firmware?'.

After answering them 3 times, I figured I'd post here. It seems Engrish is their second language.

Video of the issue:

Play it back at 1.25x
Hi @Dno

Reolink is a Chinese ( PRC ) company.

From the error message you posted, it looks like the wrong file - or wrong file extension. Check that you're extracting it properly if it is zipped. Check that it is in the proper target file folder.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
Shirley you jest. With names like 'Jenni' and 'Sheri'?

yeah - i would buy taiwan any day over degenerate chicoms.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
It's the .PAK file. It's in the video. It comes in this ZIP file: D400_16_20041561.ZIP, and the specific name is:
IPC_5128M.16_20041561.D400.ov4689.4MP.REOLINK.PAK

Someone said:
"I'm Japanese. Recently, Chinese con-artists tried to contact us with Japanese texting app (like whatsapp) But Japanese know how to handle Chinese thugs. Just texting em back "june 4th Tiananmen Square massacre" in Chinese languge(六四天安門事件). Then BOOM! That poor Chinese guy's internet access is cut out by CCP. You can try this when Chinese harass you online."

;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's the .PAK file. It's in the video. It comes in this ZIP file: D400_16_20041561.ZIP, and the specific name is:
IPC_5128M.16_20041561.D400.ov4689.4MP.REOLINK.PAK

Someone said:
"I'm Japanese. Recently, Chinese con-artists tried to contact us with Japanese texting app (like whatsapp) But Japanese know how to handle Chinese thugs. Just texting em back "june 4th Tiananmen Square massacre" in Chinese languge(六四天安門事件). Then BOOM! That poor Chinese guy's internet access is cut out by CCP. You can try this when Chinese harass you online."

;)
did you unpack the .PAK file?

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
Haha.

You can't 'unpack' the PAK file. It comes in a ZIP: it's unzipped, and then, in the case of the NVR, uploaded through the interface, using any of the clients that can access the NVR over the network. Or with a USB stick.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haha.

You can't 'unpack' the PAK file. It comes in a ZIP: it's unzipped, and then, in the case of the NVR, uploaded through the interface, using any of the clients that can access the NVR over the network. Or with a USB stick.
hmmm... so why then are we seeing the error "Failed to recognize the file format"?

would be nice if the error confirmed the file folder it is looking at.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have any more information than that, Mr. Matt.

Other than I can replicate it, by doing the procedure over again. It seems to properly upload the firmware to the camera, and then give that error. The IPC upload via USB through the NVR is less informative. It does not upgrade, without giving a specific error.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any more information than that, Mr. Matt.

Other than I can replicate it, by doing the procedure over again. It seems to properly upload the firmware to the camera, and then give that error. The IPC upload via USB through the NVR is less informative. It does not upgrade, without giving a specific error.
Ok I guess time to Send Reolink tech a write up w/screen shots and see if you get a decent reply.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
Done. Been waiting until it's 'the next day' there to get a reply to the ticket. I included the same images and youtube video link.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you reset the cam to factory defaults, then tried to update.
The best solution is to list the entire kit on ebay and cut your loss's. ;)
Then study the Wiki and Cliff Notes
Some people are made of money. To me, $250 is a tremendous sum. I'll grab a second virgin camera out of the box, and try the same scenario.

Dno

n3wb
Reaction score
I got this last night:
"Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

With the video you sent, we have let our engineers to test the firmware. And sorry that it's something wrong at our ends.

I have attached the correct firmware file for your D400 cameras. Please upgrade it to see if it can succeed or not.

After you try that, please kindly let us know the result."

been busy so I have not tested it yet. I've attached it below in case someone else is finding this thread.

Attachments