HFW4431R - adding a MicroSD card?

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was getting ready to mount this camera from XinRay and thought to open it up- check the desiccant, etc. On the top of the PCB though there is the familiar Micro-SD shape and pinout, and it got me wondering if I could add one.

Most of the components necessary are present (some caps aren't, but that's not a big deal).

Are there any other sources of PCBs or familiar product lines that I could steal specs from in order to add in the rest? It would be pretty slick to write up a tutorial to adding one. They're not that hard to solder in place and for the most part they're right on the surface.

When I get the digital camera working I'll get some photos of the PCB to share.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Purduephotog

I recall seeing someone chat about doing this add-on to a Chinese model camera earlier here. I recall there was no success - don't recall if that was because they attempted to and failed, or decided not to attempt.

I think it would be very interesting to see if it can be done.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Then you'd also need to flash a customized firmware to make that microSD work, I think, lol :lol:

Hi Purduephotog

I recall seeing someone chat about doing this add-on to a Chinese model camera earlier here. I recall there was no success - don't recall if that was because they attempted to and failed, or decided not to attempt.

I think it would be very interesting to see if it can be done.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Then you'd also need to flash a customized firmware to make that microSD work, I think, lol :lol:
Or alternatively, figure out how to change how the camera hardware IDs itself to the firmware, so the firmware thinks it's a model with an SD card. Possibly just a bit in a ROM somewhere.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually it's this simple .It takes a lot of effort to compile out code as it's much easier to see a resistor as a bit.

What other cameras are based on this board?

That will tell me where to search.

As it is the camera doesn't have the reach I needed to do lpr on the entryway to the circle.
Or alternatively, figure out how to change how the camera hardware IDs itself to the firmware, so the firmware thinks it's a model with an SD card. Possibly just a bit in a ROM somewhere.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
easy enough to swap out the lens for longer focal length, assuming you can find one to fit the housing. As for the board, onvif device manager may be able to retrieve the firmware ID and you could then search based on that...

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Soldered up the card. Firmware doesn't have the code to look for it so I think I'll be having to find another firmware version