HFW5431E-Z5 4MP for LPR and HDW5231R-Z 2MP Turret Setup

LaneK

n3wb
Reaction score
I am from Australia and have been following this forum for a couple of months now. Thanks to nayr and many others for the camera reviews and tests, it has been very informative.

We had 2 incidents late last year where eggs were thrown at our house late at night. Both times I believe the people drove past in a car, stopped and then threw the eggs. This could simply be a case of mistaken identity or we have a few guesses on who it could be. Either way, I am determined to catch these people, especially before things possibly get worse.

I am keen to setup a dedicated LPR camera and general surveillance camera. I eventually plan to run the openalpr software. Based on recommendations in this forum, the two cameras I am looking at getting are the Dahua HFW5431E-Z5 4MP Bullet Network Camera (soon to be released) with up to 35mm zoom for LPR and the HDW5231R-Z 2MP Eyeball/Turret Network Camera with Starlight (currently available) for surveillance.

I have a few questions regarding my NVR/NAS, POE and mounting setup:

Please refer to images attached. Thanks!

Attachments

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would recommend model ITC217 that is designed for LPR, and use turrets for surveillance.
Forget qnap, add one NVR5000-4KS2 with poe switch build in and you have complete and stable system with automatic licence plate recognition and you will be able to search video using plate numbers.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how much are those ICT217's? was having trouble locating em..

for most residential needs it'd be cheaper to get the 35mm 4MP Varifocal and record h265 w/intrusion zone flagging when vehicles going by and doing a manual read when plate info is needed.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
True, it's cheaper. ITC217 with 4.7-47mm lens cost 2x HFW5231

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any API Docs for how the LPR cameras talk to the NVR? I'd love to write an app to take output from OpenALPRD and pipe its output to my NVR.

LaneK

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't know Dahua make ALPR cameras. The ITC217 could be a good option but as nayr said, I can't find where to buy them and the cost is probably too high.

The NVR5000-4KS2 could be a good option. I found one on eBay for $399 but it was without POE. Not sure where to buy these from either.

LaneK

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I have been in contact with Andy and plan to order the cameras soon. I will check out the Dahua NVR too.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have any API Docs for how the LPR cameras talk to the NVR? I'd love to write an app to take output from OpenALPRD and pipe its output to my NVR.
I'm preparing lots of conferences now, but please write me an email. I will send you api and sdk for lpr :)
Cctvnerd@gmail.com

LaneK

n3wb
Reaction score
I've contacted Andy and it seems he cannot source the ITC217 which is a shame. The HFW5431E-Z5 is looking like the best option (probably much cheaper too) and he is getting some of these in stock soon.

How should I best go about mounting the HDW5231R-Z?
Will the PFA137 junction box allow me to mount it to the ceiling/eaves as shown in the 2_turrent_position.jpg or would it be better for me to get the PFB203W wall mount bracket? Both accessories are shown on this page: IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

Similar situation with the HFW5431E-Z5. Not sure if the junction box will allow me to mount it easily to the eaves. Might require a bit of trial and error.

Last edited:

LaneK

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I don't think that is what Korgoth meant. It is the ITC217 camera that has LPR built in. See this website ITC217-PW1B-IRLZ10 | Dahua Technology
Andy said he cannot order the ITC217 as there is a MOQ. I have asked how high the MOQ is because if it is low then possibly a group of people could buy it.