Hi all. Been lurking a while but is the rabbit hole too deep?

KingKitega

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been browsing these forums for a while now (read cliff notes, read reviews, watched YouTube videos of these cameras) and from what I gather, Dahua starlight cams are the ones to go for, and connect these to a poe switch and PC that's running dedicated serveillance software (Blue Iris), but it sounds like an awful lot of time to optimise the system, and before you know it, you're sucked into that world of tweaking cameras, updating firmware, testing notifications etc.

So question is... Is it really worth the effort and outlay when one can just pick up a wire free solution with easier user software experience such as Arlo Ultra, Nest IQ Outdoor, or any lower res 1080p system? Bit caveat of course is - wire free cameras are at the mercy of your wifi!

I'm quite torn atm as the whole point of security cameras for me is to act as a deterrent and also to get intruder alerts when out of the house. I'd also love to get a system that can manually trigger an outdoor siren and also incorporate a camera doorbell too.

I don't think it can be 'easily' done via the wired+NVR/BI without quite a bit of hacking, but these are available out of the box (or very soon with Arlo) with the wire-free systems.

Maybe the answer is to wait...

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
While it does take more effort initially, the BI, PC, wired POE system ends up being far more flexible, expandable, and secure.

The main problem with the "off the shelf" systems is the spooky breach they introduce into your network.

You must give the cameras or the NVR full unrestricted access to the INSIDE of your network, as well as unrestricted access to the internet for many of the features to work.

The cameras are not secure. You're not able to run any antivirus or firewall software on them. You don't really know what their software is doing, and they usually link up by default to servers in China to give you (and who knows who else) remote access.

And since the system is on the inside of your network, it's not just the video from the cameras that can be spied upon. Any traffic on your network is now potentially "visible" to the cameras, NVR, and anyone who has hacked them or who already has the access that you've granted to the system.

So regardless, you need to secure the cameras and NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Also, just say "NO" to wireless cams, cloud-based and p2p deals (in which you scan a QR code with your phone).

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any one with half a brain, and a few buck can jam any wireless system.

My alarm system and camera systems are all hardwired.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been browsing these forums for a while now (read cliff notes, read reviews, watched YouTube videos of these cameras) and from what I gather, Dahua starlight cams are the ones to go for, and connect these to a poe switch and PC that's running dedicated serveillance software (Blue Iris), but it sounds like an awful lot of time to optimise the system, and before you know it, you're sucked into that world of tweaking cameras, updating firmware, testing notifications etc.

So question is... Is it really worth the effort and outlay when one can just pick up a wire free solution with easier user software experience such as Arlo Ultra, Nest IQ Outdoor, or any lower res 1080p system? Bit caveat of course is - wire free cameras are at the mercy of your wifi!

I'm quite torn atm as the whole point of security cameras for me is to act as a deterrent and also to get intruder alerts when out of the house. I'd also love to get a system that can manually trigger an outdoor siren and also incorporate a camera doorbell too.

I don't think it can be 'easily' done via the wired+NVR/BI without quite a bit of hacking, but these are available out of the box (or very soon with Arlo) with the wire-free systems.

Maybe the answer is to wait...
Yes, it is definitely worth it. Will you get it all setup in one afternoon? No, but you can do it as you have the funds and time.
Again, it is worth it to do it right the first time.

KingKitega

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. I really want to get it done properly so will keep reading and learning.

What I really like about the Arlo system is that they will launch an outdoor siren for me to ward off any suspect intruders when away. But is there a way to connect an outdoor siren to BI? Ideally I'd like to know from the outset so I can pre-wire it in if so.

I'd also like to know if there a good alternative to a ring doorbell, and that can also be integrated into BI?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all. I really want to get it done properly so will keep reading and learning.

What I really like about the Arlo system is that they will launch an outdoor siren for me to ward off any suspect intruders when away. But is there a way to connect an outdoor siren to BI? Ideally I'd like to know from the outset so I can pre-wire it in if so.

I'd also like to know if there a good alternative to a ring doorbell, and that can also be integrated into BI?
Unless you enjoy grief and agravation, avoid Ring, Arlo, Nest, etc. Avoid anything that depends on Wifi.
Dahua has a whole line of products that will do much more than the Arlo, siren's and all.
One example: Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam | IP Cam Talk