Hi All! How does this sound?

meddigo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just starting to look into home security for the first time. It's quickly becoming one of those subjects that the further I look into it, the deeper the rabbit hole goes!

Originally I was going to look at Arlo, but quickly ruled it out due to ridiculous costs, cloud reliance and monthly subscriptions.

Foscams soon took my attention, but after reading and posting on Reddit, I was dissuaded on them due to high cost and low quality.

So I began to look at Dahua cameras and soon found the problem with cheap Chinese Vs English versions! So, to get myself going and covering the important areas I'm looking at these:

Outdoor camera: IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
This will cover a small area where my garage is. If I don't have the space for a turret or I can't mount correctly I'll probably look at IPC-HFW4431R-Z (which I know is a dodgy FW one!)

Indoor camera: IPC-K35A
Love the POE aspect and seems like it would fit the bill to be tucked above a door facing my front door. I'm not too concerned about my backdoor as I'm sandwiched in the middle of a row of 4 houses and the outdoor camera would cover the path leading to my garden.

Video doorbell: VTO2111D-WP
Any have any experience with this doorbell? I don't want a battery/wifi one hence looking at POE again. I'd be interested to know if anyone has/knows of linking it up to zigbee/mqtt and a Yale smart lock so that it can be unlocked remotely.

I'm going to look at getting a Netgear FS728TP switch to run and power things so I have plenty of room to expand, if required. ~£280 all in seems like a sensible starting point that isn't bank breaking!

Apologies for the wall of text and thanks for taking a look!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A home security system starts with a good alarm system. The alarm system should be monitored or at least have outbound communication. The camera system is the second level of defense,