Hi All, N00b Learning about Cameras

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was looking at all the BF sales on security systems and saw a lot of mixed reviews on everything from Ring to Costco kits. I realized I didn't know what made a good camera system and started researching, which led me here. Wow, talk about an education! The last few weeks have been spent reading through the forum, especially the camera reviews.

Fortunately I didn't buy any systems on BF. I'm starting with an IP camera and NVR to build my knowledge. I plan to use a vari-focal as a test to determine what cameras I need to provide good coverage around the house.

Thanks for reading and for the knowledge. I hope I can contribute in the near future.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks drunkpenguin. Good point about the varifocals, they would be a good investment for any future changes. Did you change the cams because they didn't give you the view you wanted or to get better cams?

My rough draft plan is to have full/overlapping coverage around the property (detect & observe) and then add cameras for specific areas (house doors, fence gates, driveway/street etc. to recognize/identify). Thoughts or comments?

Question - We'll likely move in 2-3 years, so would it be worth pulling cameras and re-using them or just buying new cameras for the new house? Leaving the system may be a possible selling point.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think I saw them in the classifieds, right?

Ok, so I was planning my install backwards. I was afraid putting a couple cams up to identify people would push them to the unmonitored areas. I'm still playing with the ipvm calculator too.

Most of the neighborhood issues are the POS porch pirates and kids/zombies stealing from unlocked vehicles, but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks again for the advice.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think I saw them in the classifieds, right?

Ok, so I was planning my install backwards. I was afraid putting a couple cams up to identify people would push them to the unmonitored areas. I'm still playing with the ipvm calculator too.

Most of the neighborhood issues are the POS porch pirates and kids/zombies stealing from unlocked vehicles, but who knows what the future holds.

Thanks again for the advice.
Welcome Snapper30,

Please let me know if the notes I've assembled are missing anything critical.

If you're planning to sell the house in a few years, then a solid well done cabling job would certainly be a good add on imho. This would require more attention to detail as others will judge your work ( or whomever you contract ).

After watching tons of security video captures, try to plan that anyone coming to your front door must pass at least 2 security cameras, and maybe a video intercom doorbell. Ideally you want also to see what type of car they maybe driving. Also I recommend 2+ cameras covering your driveway - one on each side of a 2 car garage seems to work well.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks mat200. Your notes were the first page I bookmarked here!

Good points. We had a neighbor post a doorbell cam video of a package theft with a decent look at the face, but I realize now the view didn't show how the POS arrived/left or any other helpful info. I like the Skybell setup but I think there are better cam options for $199.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR, I had read that thread a few days ago and I'm glad to see an update.

I'll clarify my comment- My impression is that one of the highly regarded mini wedge or small turret cams will provide a better image than most doorbell cams, for the same or less money.