Hi CPU usage after latest update

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on here...after the latest BI5 update, my CPU has been maxing out and the GUI has been closing down.

I'm running an i9-9900K and have about 10 cameras all recording direct to disc. Normal ops have been around 15-25% CPU usage. Something's definitely up. It's a dedicated BI machine, so there's no other programs running. Any ideas?

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on here...after the latest BI5 update, my CPU has been maxing out and the GUI has been closing down.

I'm running an i9-9900K and have about 10 cameras all recording direct to disc. Normal ops have been around 15-25% CPU usage. Something's definitely up. It's a dedicated BI machine, so there's no other programs running. Any ideas?
Check the version of your Intel Video/Graphics driver. They're known to have memory leaks. Check a few threads here on the forum for details.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check the version of your Intel Video/Graphics driver. They're known to have memory leaks. Check a few threads here on the forum for details.
Will do...you may be on to something. After monitoring CPU usage, it only seems to be maxing out when the GUI is up. I'll check it and post back. Thanks!

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Next time you see the CPU go high, check what is consuming those cycles with Task Manager (Processes sorted by CPU) or Resource Monitor (CPU tab, sorted by CPU).

Using Resource Monitor you can view CPU and Memory each task is consuming under "normal" and "aby normal" conditions. (Young Frankenstein reference)

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Next time you see the CPU go high, check what is consuming those cycles with Task Manager (Processes sorted by CPU) or Resource Monitor (CPU tab, sorted by CPU).

Using Resource Monitor you can view CPU and Memory each task is consuming under "normal" and "aby normal" conditions. (Young Frankenstein reference)
I have and it only lists "Blue Iris". Even though it was only doing it when the GUI was open, it doesn't point to a specific, only the program and it's CPU usage.

I've updated to the latest driver and restarted. It seems to work better and I'm able to keep the GUI open for much longer than I ever have in BI5.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe it's the way I'm (not) understanding your statement... "it only lists Blue Iris", but task manager should show a LOT more than just BI.

After starting Task Manager, you have selected More details... yes?

=====
I have the same processor and using the built-in UHD 630 graphics card; Intel's driver 26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019.

Haven't experienced a memory leak; though I do not enable Intel HA. I have only 5 cameras, two 8MP, two 4MP, and one 720K. The two 8MP and one 4MP are continuous record and others are trigger based.

I actually use less CPU with HA turned off than with it enabled.

Attachments

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

Task manager is showing that Blue Iris is using up to 100% CPU. It'll start in the 20%s then climb up to 100% where it will shut down. The task manager only lists Blue Iris as a whole program, not what in Blue Iris is causing the high CPU usage. But, it only seems to do it when the GUI is open.

I'm using 26.20.100.7262, which was the newest that it would update to in the Device Manager-> Update Driver. I too have the UHD 630, so I might go in and give 7463 a shot (which I believe would require me to download the driver, physically delete 7262 then install the 7463).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, maybe I didn't explain it correctly.

Task manager is showing that Blue Iris is using up to 100% CPU. It'll start in the 20%s then climb up to 100% where it will shut down. The task manager only lists Blue Iris as a whole program, not what in Blue Iris is causing the high CPU usage. But, it only seems to do it when the GUI is open.

I'm using 26.20.100.7262, which was the newest that it would update to in the Device Manager-> Update Driver. I too have the UHD 630, so I might go in and give 7463 a shot (which I believe would require me to download the driver, physically delete 7262 then install the 7463).
Yes, you will manually need to do it.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe it's the way I'm (not) understanding your statement... "it only lists Blue Iris", but task manager should show a LOT more than just BI.

After starting Task Manager, you have selected More details... yes?

=====
I have the same processor and using the built-in UHD 630 graphics card; Intel's driver 26.20.100.7463 from 11/6/2019.

Haven't experienced a memory leak; though I do not enable Intel HA. I have only 5 cameras, two 8MP, two 4MP, and one 720K. The two 8MP and one 4MP are continuous record and others are trigger based.

I actually use less CPU with HA turned off than with it enabled.
Thanks for the reply.

I had HA turned on and it seemed to work better with the old driver. I just updated to 7463 and left it on. Trying it out for now.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, it looks as though I spoke too soon. I'm going to turn off HA and see if that helps.

EDIT: Well, it looks like that was definitely NOT the answer...CPU usage shot up to 100% immediately. Looks like I even divided by zero...always wondered what would happen if you divided by zero. HA turned back on for now.

Blue Iris Error.jpg

Last edited:

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, now I can't seem to open the GUI. The logo pops up then disappears.

Maybe try another graphics driver?

Use a video card instead of the onboard VGA?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you start with a clean install of windows.
What is windows home of Pro ? If PRO is windows update turn off ?
As the CPU increases does the amount of memory used by BI increase ?

If it was me, instead of wasting time,
1) clean install of windows
2) clean install of BI
3) manual add the cameras one at a time, do not import the BI registry settings.
4) run it for a week without HA and see if you still have the problem.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you start with a clean install of windows.
What is windows home of Pro ? If PRO is windows update turn off ?
As the CPU increases does the amount of memory used by BI increase ?

If it was me, instead of wasting time,
1) clean install of windows
2) clean install of BI
3) manual add the cameras one at a time, do not import the BI registry settings.
4) run it for a week without HA and see if you still have the problem.
Thanks for the reply.

I started with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and BI5. As a matter of fact, I actually just built it about a month ago. There's nothing else running on the machine.
Updates are turned off. When the CPU increases, memory does increase a little bit. I have 32G of RAM installed, but I haven't notice it go over 10G. The CPU maxes out first.

Before, when the GUI would shut down, it seemed like BI was still recording clips. There were still new clips in the "New" file on my SSD where I have them saved. This time, when the GUI shut down, I was able to open the task manager and see that BI had actually quit too.

I went ahead and re-installed BI5 and it seems to be working normally for the past few hours with CPU usage under 20% (HA still turned on).

BI5 (2).jpg

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, that's this has been the longest it's gone before spiking up to 100% cpu usage...almost a week.

100 percent cpu (2).jpg

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide a two screen shot of the BI status
1) for clips
2) list of all your cameras.

What version of BI ?
What version on windows ?

I would recommend Turing off hardware acceleration.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Provide a two screen shot of the BI status
1) for clips
2) list of all your cameras.

What version of BI ?
What version on windows ?

I would recommend Turing off hardware acceleration.
It's BI Release 5.0.7.1 x64 running on Windows 10 Pro. I have had hardware acceleration turned on. It seems like the CPU percentage was higher with it off and the resets were more frequent.

I'm not sure what screen shots you're asking for. I currently have 9 cameras connected.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cpu will be higher with it off, but with it off it does not use the hardware acceleration driver. The driver can cause causes problems. Remove that as a possible cause. You may be having other problems but this will remove the driver from the list. There is not a lot of information on BI on a i9-9900K .

Please provide the requested screen shots.
What is the memory usage and cpu utilization after BI has been up and running for 10 to 15 minutes ?
Are you running BI as a service ?
Is there any information in the the windows event long on the crash? Provide screen shots of the detail event messages.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The cpu will be higher with it off, but with it off it does not use the hardware acceleration driver. The driver can cause causes problems. Remove that as a possible cause. You may be having other problems but this will remove the driver from the list. There is not a lot of information on BI on a i9-9900K .

Please provide the requested screen shots.
What is the memory usage and cpu utilization after BI has been up and running for 10 to 15 minutes ?
Are you running BI as a service ?
Is there any information in the the windows event long on the crash? Provide screen shots of the detail event messages.
I am running BI as a service.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in the event messages. Here's a couple screen shots of errors.

Event Viewer 2.jpg

Event Viewer 1.jpg

I'm unclear of what you're asking for on the other post with the requested screenshot. Here's a screenshot of my GUI.

screenshot (2).jpg