Hi everyone!

mikka1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, a new member here trying to better structure what I already know and have (preferably without breaking a bank lol)

I got my first Amcrest IP2M-841B a few years ago to try watching nocturnal fish in one of my fish tanks, and it worked so well that I got another IP2M-841B shortly after. Didn't bother with hack-proofing it, didn't even record anything, but rather just used it to watch fish on my cellphone via Amcrest app.

Fast forward several years - got in an unpleasant family situation and figured I need to eventually beef up on home security a little. I then got two Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW turret cameras on a deal @ Sl**Deals (thanks to @mat200 and his explanations there!) and a cheap used PoE switch off ebay - I recently installed the cameras overseeing the driveway / porch and the backyard. I am also trying to use an old laptop with i5 as a dedicated BI server, but even with these 2 cameras at 15fps it hovers at 80-90% CPU util with all other settings seemingly optimal.

Lots of mistakes have been made already (like using cheap CCA ethernet cable, however distances are quite short).

Some future plans:
1) Getting a better dedicated BI server (something like i5-6500 / 8Gb RAM workstation from Dell Refurbished or better)
2) Network security - setting up proper OpenVPN for the home network and eventually closing P2P access to all cameras from the outside
3) Putting 2 more cameras outside (ideally cheaper ones) to capture faces of whoever approaches either of doors.
4) Possibly getting motion activated flood lights

Anyway, looks like I have a lot to read/learn/test :) Thanks for all that knowledge you share here!

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
-----------------------------
Welcome to the forum.

Motion activated white flood lights will blind the cameras for a few seconds, you may miss what you are looking for. Use good quality night cameras, if really dark add IR lights.

On cameras, you get what you pay for. Cheap will cost you more in time, then they will save you. I started with cheap (under $60) cameras, they all are in the trash
-----------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------