Hi from a newbie from Austin, TX

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been reading the Wiki and Cliff Notes over and over for the last couple of weeks... My goal is to learn from the resources and you all great folks within this forum to ultimately install 4-8 cameras around the house.

Right now, as a totally rookie to networking and IoT, it seems I just get more confused after each time I read the Wiki or Cliff Notes... Mostly on the configuration sections. I'm sure this is somewhat common, but how long does it take for most noobs to figure this IP Cam stuff out?

I'm trying to stay as patient as possible to learn, but it's becoming difficult as a house a couple of blocks over just got broken into... And what's really stressing me is that I'm a firefighter gone 24 hours at a time leaving my wife and 2 y/o by themselves.

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, and thanks for having gone through the Wiki and Cliff Notes!

Reply back with which configuration sections are giving you a problem and we can see what we can do to help clarify.

Regarding your wife and 2 y/o being home alone, ... if you don't already have one, consider a security system as well. IP cameras don't replace security systems in regards to sounding an alarm (or calling the police) if someone tries to break in while you're away <which will hopefully never happen>.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Appreciate it very much, aristobrat. I totally understand IP cameras do not replace security systems... We do have firearms within our home which my wife is very capable of using... She can shoot with the best of them. But looking into the cameras with alert/notifications to at least hopefully, give her a heads up. All the security systems we looked at have a minute or two delays before calling the police so she and I know whatever is going to happen (hopefully it will NEVER happen), more than likely she'll be by herself.

What I know so far:

1. I'll need one of these two routers for open VPN: AC1900 or AC2900. Quick question: should I buy another modem or just connect one of these two routers that I decide on to the modem Spectrum provided?

2. PoE switch to power the cameras

3. Ethernet and wiring I understand

4. If I figure this out, hoping to start with six cameras and possibly add more. Right now, the cameras I would buy would be the Dahua 2 MP, Starlights, for their low light performance. I've also been keeping an eye on eBay for a refurbished all-in-one system that would run BI and also be future proof for camera growth and BI software updates/upgrades.

What's really giving me fits and is like reading Greek to me within Cliff Notes is the following:

- Dahua Best Practices... Malware, enter IP outside the DHCP, router firewall rules, etc... Sorry, this stuff makes no sense to me

- Disable Internet connection... Subnet, changing IP address, Subnet mask... I've been doing a lot of reading, but it's still not clear to me yet.

- Changing Network Setting... Same thing, just not comfortable with the information provided

Thanks again for your time in responding and suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Appreciate it very much, aristobrat. I totally understand IP cameras do not replace security systems... We do have firearms within our home which my wife is very capable of using... She can shoot with the best of them. But looking into the cameras with alert/notifications to at least hopefully, give her a heads up. All the security systems we looked at have a minute or two delays before calling the police so she and I know whatever is going to happen (hopefully it will NEVER happen), more than likely she'll be by herself.

What I know so far:

1. I'll need one of these two routers for open VPN: AC1900 or AC2900. Quick question: should I buy another modem or just connect one of these two routers that I decide on to the modem Spectrum provided?

4. If I figure this out, hoping to start with six cameras and possibly add more. Right now, the cameras I would buy would be the Dahua 2 MP, Starlights, for their low light performance. I've also been keeping an eye on eBay for a refurbished all-in-one system that would run BI and also be future proof for camera growth and BI software updates/upgrades.

What's really giving me fits and is like reading Greek to me within Cliff Notes is the following:

- Dahua Best Practices... Malware, enter IP outside the DHCP, router firewall rules, etc... Sorry, this stuff makes no sense to me

- Disable Internet connection... Subnet, changing IP address, Subnet mask... I've been doing a lot of reading, but it's still not clear to me yet.

- Changing Network Setting... Same thing, just not comfortable with the information provided

The security systems primary objective is to scare off intruders. Not having one is foolish. See thread on the ring 199 alarm. It also notifies you via the app. The should be installed before any camera system.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What I know so far:

Study this: Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs