Hi From Los Angeles

jayyp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to the forum here. I am looking for a new security system as my existing one, Amcrest 960H, is beginning to age and has never worked well. Any recommendations? I am currently looking at the Dahua N51BD22. Thank you all for any recommendations in advance!

jayyp

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is one without the car driving by. :) Notice how well it sees into the shadows.

View attachment 43310
Wow, that is 1000x clearer than my existing system. I was actually looking at this model as well. Based on many members comments from my initial research, many have said Dahua's starlight sensors have the slight edge. Will the 5MP affect the video quality in any way even if the Dahua I mentioned above has the 1/2.7" Starlight Sensor?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the 5mp will affect the quality of the video at night. I would drop down to 2MP for good day and night video. I just do not think that the technology is there yet for the higher megapixels.

I have both Dahua and Hikvision cameras so I am just giving you my opinion. Maybe someone can produce a night picture of the camera you are looking at for comparison.

Edit: I just noticed that I need to clean that lens. ;)

jayyp

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the 5mp will affect the quality of the video at night. I would drop down to 2MP for good day and night video. I just do not think that the technology is there yet for the higher megapixels.

I have both Dahua and Hikvision cameras so I am just giving you my opinion. Maybe someone can produce a night picture of the camera you are looking at for comparison.

Edit: I just noticed that I need to clean that lens. ;)

Thank you for the opinion! Based on your experience, you prefer the Hikvision over Dahua? :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the opinion! Based on your experience, you prefer the Hikvision over Dahua? :)
It depends. Dahua cameras are usually cheaper and provide a good bang for the buck. That is why I still have Dahua cameras in certain locations and I do not intend to change them out unless technology catches up to the high megapixel cameras. However you have to decide for yourself if the little extra advantage the Hikvision cameras give is worth the extra money. In this case though the Hikvision is a very good value.

jayyp

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
Thank you for the warm welcome and quick start guide for newbies! :)

jayyp

n3wb
Reaction score
It depends. Dahua cameras are usually cheaper and provide a good bang for the buck. That is why I still have Dahua cameras in certain locations and I do not intend to change them out unless technology catches up to the high megapixel cameras. However you have to decide for yourself if the little extra advantage the Hikvision cameras give is worth the extra money. In this case though the Hikvision is a very good value.
Thank you :). The two cameras from either Company I am looking at are roughly the same price more or less. Did you install the cameras yourself or do you know a guy ? :cool:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
When I first started out I hired someone as I did not know a lot. :) Now that I have been at this for a few years I do the installations. In fact I just helped a neighbor with an 8 camera system. Hikvision NVR with 8 channels, 5 Hikvision cameras and 3 Dahua cameras. All have 1/2.8" sensors with good night vision. We ran Cat 6 cable with solid core 23 gauge copper wire.

With my system I have two 8 channel Hikvision NVR's, with 9 Hikvision cameras and 7 Dahua cameras. I also run Cat 6 cable with solid core 23 gauge copper wire. The cameras are setup so that we compliment each other. ;) Also in my experience with installing my cameras I was able to select good locations to mount his cameras.

Edit: I will also say being a member of this forum has been a huge help.

Last edited: