Hi from Sugar Land, TX

sksahai

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have been browsing the forum for a while now, and decided to join b/c I have some questions.

I have a basic understanding of networking (set up my own home wifi, guest wifi, and port forwarding for the DLinks 930 + 932 that I have). I want to take the next step and move to a true security cam system.

I have a very basic question.
My house is wired for 4 camera's right now (2 outside 2 inside) which I did during the build process 3 years ago. I am sure that I have 1 coax, 1 ethernet, plus another line for power from each camera drop. These terminate into a closet which is already crowded with internal ethernet to each room, and coax lines to each room.

I now realize that I should have put in more drops outside.

My basic question is that if I purchase a 8 channel NVR + 4 cam combo from costco, or build my own, can I add wifi Cameras to the NVR? OR do the camera's have to be hard wired? Basically, can 8 Channel NVR with 4 wired cams handle 4 or more wifi cameras? Does the numebr of channels apply when talking about wifi cameras?

If I run additional drops using a PoE system, and get an 8 channel NVR, do I max out at 8 Cameras, regardless of wired/wifi connection?

Also, to avoid dealing with new drops, can I put a PoE router in the attic (Gulf coast summer temps) and then run a ethernet wire to the NVR in the closet?

Thanks!

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

1) Don't know
2) From what I've read, stay away from Wifi if at all possible.
3) I think you need to size the NVR by the total resolution of the camera's. In other words you may only be able to use 6 cams, if the cams are running at 3MP's for some NVR's. (Just as an Example)
4) It's possible, but you need to keep the POE switch's temp. under the max manufactures rated temp. (I was going to do this myself, but decided not to because if the equipment somehow started a fire, it would not end well.