Hi from the UK

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've already posted a couple of times, so thought I should introduce myself.

I'm in the UK and first set-up Blue Iris with just one camera a few years ago, to keep an eye on our heating oil tank after we had some oil stolen. BI was running on a modest 2 core Windows Home Server box, doing backups and network storage and music streaming (to "squeezeboxes"), so there was no power left for any more cameras.

After a recent house burglary, I thought it was finally time to get a bit more serious about monitoring. Following advice here I got myself a secondhand desktop PC (HP ProDesk - 4th gen i5, 4GB), and put in a small SSD and a WD Purple. I purchased a new 5MP Hikvision turret for the front drive (not sure if that was the best choice now). I've got both cameras recording continuously, with alerts on motion detection.

I'll be getting another camera or two in the near future - just can't decide what to get yet! Also, I feel that I've still not got motion detection working as well as I'd like (the zones crossing thing has removed most false alerts, but now I'm missing some movement - that's a topic for a dedicated thread!)

Anyway, thanks for the help I've had so far, and I look forward to gaining the knowledge to be able to help others.

Cheers,
Richard