Hi, IP talk forum.

Reaction score
Hi,

A Swedish guy living in mid-Sweden and I’m a bit of an addict of home automation. Found this forum for my next step in my task to add useful equipment to my home. My current set-up. Z-wave system controlled by a Telldus Znet v2, Philips Hue and an alarm system from Ajax. So my next steps are, adding Dahua up cameras. In this jungle I will start with 1 camera inside my home which will be triggered by the alarm arm and disarm. 1-2 cameras outside looking at my house from about 15-20m distance and an NVR. So I need some help to find the cameras and NVR for my setup. I have looked at following.

Indoor as I want a small.
2MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Network camera IPC-HDBW4231F-AS

Outdoor: have no clue

NVR:
NVR4108-8P-4KS2 8ch Smart 1U NVR 8ch 1080P NVR support 1HDD and mobile surveillance NVR4108-8P-4KS2

Thank you!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess