Hidden Cameras

PMargis

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a project at work were we would like to install some hidden cameras. The ones that appear to be a clock or smoke detector, something other than a camera. Has anyone used something like this or have suggestion on a good brand to use. I would like a POE IP camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
1. Make sure your legal department is on board with this. If hidden video and or audio monitoring is not covered in an employee handbook or open statement you could be opening yourself up to legal matters depending on your state, as well as where these cameras are being placed. If it is in anyway placed in an area where an employee believes he/she has a reasonable assumption of privacy you could have major problems on your hands.
2. These items are typcically a dime a dozen. They are mainly imported from over seas and inexpensive.
3. Enterprise/Name brand hardware. Axis makes some smoke detector cameras.
4. I've used this and was happy with it. Platinum HD IP Pinhole Camera 1.3MP, CMIP183

PMargis

n3wb
Reaction score
Zero-degrees, Thanks for the answer. We are aware of the legal concerns, have legal consul in office. Plan on putting the cameras in office areas, we believe people congregate and spend way too much time talking and not working. Production is being affected mainly the night crew.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud but why hide them? If visible and they know management is watching, wouldnt that tend to motivate them to self-correct? Hidden just tells me that management (which I am so dont get the idea I'm a snowflake) just wants to make an example out of someone...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did this once several years ago. Added a web cam on my shelf pointed at my desk drawer, (no privacy concerns there) once I noticed loose change disappearing and many others noticed it too.
Sure enough in a few days caught a long time coworker "friend" had been cleaning everyone's drawers...also some laptops had gone missing go bridging that assumption gap.
Anyway, went to boss who said get a few more captures. Then we went to H.R. who eventually fired the guy...But then I was called in and written up too! Boss then claimed no knowledge of it.
I had pre-read ALL co. manuals and handbooks and it had no discussion about video recording being prohibited...Next year it was in the handbook and and guess who did not get a raise...So basically got punished for saving the company $$.
So, bottom line CMA only and not the company was my lesson.

Reaction score
Its real simple: Go to work, do your job, go home. Employee, Manager, doesn't matter. It SHOULD be that simple....believe me, I understand all to well how some managers do not do their job. But maybe they just want more proof to back up the managers.