Hiding/Running Ethernet Outside Suggestion

Cher14

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
New member here. I read and read the posts and with the help of this forum and one of my buddies, I was able to install my first camera on front of the house, see picture. But for backyard and sideyard, I am still thinking what would be the best route to run ethernet. See picture 2: wanted to install cameras in two "Star" locations for backyard and sideyard view. Its two-story house with crawlspace and limited attic access. This part of the house doesn't have attic access, only crawlspace. For now, I ran wire through "vent?" space, see in picture. My network rack is in the middle of the house and i ran ethernet through a hole into crawlspace.
Anyone could you please advice how to hide wire in this location?
1) through walls- may have fire blocks
2) outside- conduit(emt or pvc)
3) other?
Thanks

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would do it the easy way, and run the wire just like you did, and if I was feeling ambitious, mount it to the wall in a few places to keep it from moving around in the wind. But hey, I'm lazy.

If that vent goes directly into the crawlspace then I don't see the harm in leaving it as it is, and just nailing it up neatly along the wall with some small mounting clips. I've done the same at my house, minus the nailing. If you are worried about someone cutting the wire, you could drill a hole big enough for a piece of conduit to fit inside, and run conduit all the way to a junction box near your red stars.

I'd just use PVC conduit. No reason I see to deal with metal.

Cher14

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, bp2008. Yes, I did it easy way, wanted to hear expert review of my job.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Running your wire in pipe will also keep the weather and rodents from eating your wire. If you don't run it in pipe, put a nice thick coat of paint over it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
New member here. I read and read the posts and with the help of this forum and one of my buddies, I was able to install my first camera on front of the house, see picture. But for backyard and sideyard, I am still thinking what would be the best route to run ethernet. See picture 2: wanted to install cameras in two "Star" locations for backyard and sideyard view. Its two-story house with crawlspace and limited attic access. This part of the house doesn't have attic access, only crawlspace. For now, I ran wire through "vent?" space, see in picture. My network rack is in the middle of the house and i ran ethernet through a hole into crawlspace.
Anyone could you please advice how to hide wire in this location?
1) through walls- may have fire blocks
2) outside- conduit(emt or pvc)
3) other?
Thanks
I actually prefer in wall or EMT metal conduit (1/2") if outside on the wall if you have concerns of someone cutting it.

If you are going through a section of attic which is difficult to access due to limited attic space, I like to push a grey PVC pipe to the corners I would need to get the cable to. (3/4"+ )

Cher14

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for suggestions. For now, I am inclined to outside run and thick paint. I will post pictures later.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I used EMT conduit for external wiring for my cams.
More work and cost, but wire is not exposed to elements or bad guys.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Down here in Florida we usually use grey pvc outside because its UV resistant and it does not rust. I believe the code for indoors is EMT, especially in areas where there may be fire. We put cameras on a condo near the beach and one of the runs was through a large room where the building's dumpster was and where the trash chute from each floor emptied into it. The inspector had us change the conduit to EMT from PVC in that room because in the case of a fire the pvc may add fuel to the fire and EMT would not.