High CPU overnight

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys - I am running the latest version 5.2.5.9 x64 (4/19/20) in service mode with 8 2MP cameras, 15fps, all CPU optimization implemented from the help and this forum. During the day, if I have the console up or closed, the CPU stays manageable in the 30's or 40's. However, overnight the CPU goes high and when I log into the computer in the morning, it responds very slowly and I have to kill Blue iris from taskbar and restart the service. I changed Compact/Repair DB function to 11am every morning to see if that was causing it but it made no difference

What else could I do to troubleshoot this? Does BI have any kind of external syslog to show what processes within it are getting stuck etc and causing high CPU

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) turn off the disk defragmentor on the BI video disk drive.
2) Disable virus scanner on all BI folders.

Where are your video files stored ? separate Local harddrive, The C: drive, NAS, USB drive .....

The BI database is rebuilt at 2:00 AM on most configurations.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
guys - I am running the latest version 5.2.5.9 x64 (4/19/20) in service mode with 8 2MP cameras, 15fps, all CPU optimization implemented from the help and this forum. During the day, if I have the console up or closed, the CPU stays manageable in the 30's or 40's. However, overnight the CPU goes high and when I log into the computer in the morning, it responds very slowly and I have to kill Blue iris from taskbar and restart the service. I changed Compact/Repair DB function to 11am every morning to see if that was causing it but it made no difference

What else could I do to troubleshoot this? Does BI have any kind of external syslog to show what processes within it are getting stuck etc and causing high CPU
Remember that during the dB compact nothing is recorded so set it to a time that is not crucial or disable the auto compact.
What processor and what Intel driver are you using ?
.9 is stable for me

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did disable the BI folders from AV a week ago. All BI folders except stored at on SSD C: drive and looks like automatic disk fragmentation was turned off too (it shows Never Run). I have Core i5-6500 with 16gb RAM on a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower with a 256gb SSD

1) How long does the db compact take - I wasn't aware that there was no recording taking place at that time, thanks for bringing that to my attention
2) I checked my C:\BlueIris\log\202004.txt file and at 11am, it doesn't have an event for compact DB and all my camera recordings have something for 11am (before and after). So this is a separate issue I have to troubleshoot as it doesn't look like BI is doing any compact DB
3) what do you mean by Intel driver and where do I check that
4) Any place to increase the level of BI logging to debug in detail any BI processes that are getting stuck, etc or what I have in C:\BlueIris\log\202004.txt is the best I can get

Thanks guys

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did disable the BI folders from AV a week ago. All BI folders except stored at on SSD C: drive and looks like automatic disk fragmentation was turned off too (it shows Never Run). I have Core i5-6500 with 16gb RAM on a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 Tower with a 256gb SSD

1) How long does the db compact take - I wasn't aware that there was no recording taking place at that time, thanks for bringing that to my attention
2) I checked my C:\BlueIris\log\202004.txt file and at 11am, it doesn't have an event for compact DB and all my camera recordings have something for 11am (before and after). So this is a separate issue I have to troubleshoot as it doesn't look like BI is doing any compact DB
3) what do you mean by Intel driver and where do I check that
4) Any place to increase the level of BI logging to debug in detail any BI processes that are getting stuck, etc or what I have in C:\BlueIris\log\202004.txt is the best I can get

Thanks guys
Something is not right here. That system and that load should be under 20%.
1) it varies by the size of the DB and the speed of your system. You can test it yourself buy manually running it.
3) You must run the latest intel graphics driver. If you running hp oem windows it may not let you. There are workarounds but you should always always install a clean version of windows using the media creation tools. Intel has the drivers on their website.
4) that is the best you can get

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) windows task manager performance, GPU

3) Blue Iris Setting about tab
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage
5) blue Iris status cameras

6) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
7) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

Put is a screen shot of the BI log file, a few hours.

Are you using Wifi cameras ?
Does the memory for BI increase as the the run time increases.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate the continued support !!!

My Intel graphics 530 card had a driver from 2017 so updated it to the latest - 26.20.100.7985, release date 3/9/2020. CPU remains unaffected and in the 30's with console shut down and in 40's/50's with console up. I am using two wifi cameras, disabled them to test if the CPU % was lower and it went down by 8% so not much. Also, worth noting that all cameras are configured for BI motion sensor except FrontNorth which is configured for ONVIF alerts and BI is configured to accept these alerts

All screenshots taken with BI in service mode and console window up. One thing to note that GPU is at 0% or 1% when the console is closed

Yes, Memory does tend to increase with CPU usage

In the log file, I do see this error - HW VA not compatible

I also booted into my BIOS and saw there was a section for Video memory and it was set to 32mb. It allows me to change to 64, 128, 256, 512 and on HP's site seems to indicate I can reserve this refers to the reserved video card memory and it takes from the general system memory. I left it untouched at 32mb which I assume is the default

Thanks

Attachments

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Either after I upgraded the intel graphics card or upgraded to BI 5.2.5.9 this morning, each camera setting changed from default to None for Hardware Accelerated decode in Video settings. I changed it back to default and the general settings is set to Intel. When I hit ok and go back to the setting, it again seems to be marked as None and tried doing this 2-3 times so seems like a new bug in BI

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Either after I upgraded the intel graphics card or upgraded to BI 5.2.5.9 this morning, each camera setting changed from default to None for Hardware Accelerated decode in Video settings. I changed it back to default and the general settings is set to Intel. When I hit ok and go back to the setting, it again seems to be marked as None and tried doing this 2-3 times so seems like a new bug in BI
Are the cams set to 264 or 265? are you using a + or smart codec? Also go to your power and sleep settings make sure its set to high performance and double check the intel graphics in those settings are set to high performance. is this a clean windows install?

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Clean windows install. H264 because I read that 265 is smaller files but higher CPU. I changed it to high performance. Intel graphics power plan also showing maximum performance. CPU% remains the same.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Clean windows install. H264 because I read that 265 is smaller files but higher CPU. I changed it to high performance. Intel graphics power plan also showing maximum performance. CPU% remains the same.
clean using ms media creation tool? are you using + or smart codec?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
are you logging in remotely or local monitor?
is the monitor 1080p or 4k?

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes media creation tool. Logging in locally with a 8 year old Acer 21 inch monitor at 1920x1080. Smart codec on my dahua & amcrest wifi cameras set to Off

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
does this matter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
does this matter?
its not a bug, blue iris is not detecting your intel HA so it reverts.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At the same time with the console up, task manager GPU shows about 10 to 15% so doesn't that show it's working

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At the same time with the console up, task manager GPU shows about 10 to 15% so doesn't that show it's working
Double check each cam is set to d2d. Remember that’s it’s profile specific.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running headless , without a monitor ?

This may not be the cause of your problem but.

I am surprised that your system has not crashed. Your stored is allocated to 6000GB on an SSD with the stored folder (C:\BI\STORED ). You have all your video on the C: drive.

Your windows task manager process needs to show the GPU, GPU engine, network, disk, select these for display and re screen shot.

Is your GPU part of the CPU or a separate card ?

Have you tried a power down reboot.

------------------------------------------

My standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives. Do not run virus scanners on BI folders

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Last edited:

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, does blue iris have a history of updates changing settings automatically? Just curious

I am running BI connected to a monitor, keyboard & mouse

Storage - C:\Blueiris is the SSD (New and Alerts are on this). Stored folder is on C:\BI\Stored which is a 8TB spinning HDD. C:\BI is actually a different HDD (NTFS link). I unchecked the limit age clip as you suggest. Is there anything else you suggest I do with these new facts I have provided. I set combine & cut video to 1 hour/4gb in each camera's settings. Should I move the new and Alerts to the spinning HDD too?

GPU is part of the CPU - it's an Intel graphics 530

I can't find how to display these things you ask for in performance monitor - GPU engine, network, disk. Can you advise?

Thx