High CPU usage after upgrade to 4.0

Mvlawn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to BI 4.0 after 5 years of reliable use. After upgrading to 4.0 my CPU is running in the upper 80's to 99%. Do I have a setting skewed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to BI 4.0 after 5 years of reliable use. After upgrading to 4.0 my CPU is running in the upper 80's to 99%. Do I have a setting skewed?
Welcome to the forum..are you running the latest version of 4? Are you cameras set to record direct to disk? did you actually enter the license key or are you running in demo mode?

Mvlawn

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running the latest version and it has been activated with a valid key. I am not recording directly to disk, should I be?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why your usage went up after upgrading, assuming all the old settings imported correctly. It shouldn't have.

Yes, direct to disk for each camera yields big CPU usage savings. You need to be aware that when you use direct to disk, you need to make the cameras embed their own timestamps, as the timestamp Blue Iris can add for you will not be part of recorded video.

Also if your CPU supports Intel Quick Sync Video, you should enable hardware accelerated video decoding in Blue Iris options on the Cameras tab (h264 decoding only, do not use the "VPP" option), then restart Blue Iris to make it take effect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also ensure that BI is excluded from your antivirus

Mvlawn

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure why your usage went up after upgrading, assuming all the old settings imported correctly. It shouldn't have.

Yes, direct to disk for each camera yields big CPU usage savings. You need to be aware that when you use direct to disk, you need to make the cameras embed their own timestamps, as the timestamp Blue Iris can add for you will not be part of recorded video.

Also if your CPU supports Intel Quick Sync Video, you should enable hardware accelerated video decoding in Blue Iris options on the Cameras tab (h264 decoding only, do not use the "VPP" option), then restart Blue Iris to make it take effect.

The direct to disk worked. Thank you for the help, it knocked 10% of the processor. I tried the Intel Quick sync as my processor supports it "i5 2320" but that knocked out 2 of my cameras. They are both Amcrest IP4M-1025E

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The direct to disk worked. Thank you for the help, it knocked 10% of the processor. I tried the Intel Quick sync as my processor supports it "i5 2320" but that knocked out 2 of my cameras. They are both Amcrest IP4M-1025E
It should lower the cpu usage by more than 10 percent, did you set it for each camera individually?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder which CPU usage number we are hearing about here. Blue Iris reports the total system CPU usage, including usage by other processes. Windows 8 and 10's task manager has different tabs with conflicting CPU usage numbers, and you have to look at the Details tab to get the true number for any given process. To this day I don't know how they come up with the number in the Processes tab because it is always a great deal higher than in the Details tab. I'm beginning to suspect there is something else running, consuming a lot of CPU. Like the windows update service has been known to max out a core without actually installing any updates (this manifests in one of the svchost.exe processes).

FYI, you can disable hardware accelerated decoding for specific cameras and let it run on others, by going to the camera properties, Video tab.