High CPU usage lately even when stoplight off

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I was able to get my system to 14-17% consistently but the past day or two I've noticed it is 50-60% with 25-30% GPU (task manager says video decode). RAM usages used to be 3.2GB now its 4-4.1GB.

I haven't changed anything and can't figure out why it's doing this.

I even turned the stoplight to red and it's still 57% right now with no writing to disk.

Anyone have ideas? I've restarted BI, restarted the process, restarted the entire server. Never gets back to less than 20%.

System is Optiplex i7-7700, 16GB RAM, Intel GPU, 128GB SSD, 8TB WD purple, 9 4MP cams.

Thanks,

Jack

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was able to get my system to 14-17% consistently but the past day or two I've noticed it is 50-60% with 25-30% GPU (task manager says video decode). RAM usages used to be 3.2GB now its 4-4.1GB.

I haven't changed anything and can't figure out why it's doing this.

I even turned the stoplight to red and it's still 57% right now with no writing to disk.

Anyone have ideas? I've restarted BI, restarted the process, restarted the entire server. Never gets back to less than 20%.

System is Optiplex i7-7700, 16GB RAM, Intel GPU, 128GB SSD, 8TB WD purple, 9 4MP cams.

Thanks,

Jack
search memory leak

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fender, I searched it but my issue is CPU usage increasing, not memory.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fender, I searched it but my issue is CPU usage increasing, not memory.
they are related IF you slowly see the memory rising over the day...also are you logging in remotely or on a local monitor?

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The memory after a day goes from 3.5 GB or so to 3.8GB since last night when I restarted it. The CPU usage went from 18-20% to 45-50%. GPU usage looks about the same between 32-36%. This is via the task manager. If they are related, why does the CPU usage go up as memory usage goes up? I have 16GB and the total memory used is 6.5GB.

I am logging in on a local monitor. I've also done Remote Desktop as well as just looking at the stats from the iOS app. I'm now starting to look at the Resource Manager app which show BlueIris.exe using 18-20%, while the Task manager Processes tab is showing 25% for the BlueIris background process, while the task manager Details tab showing 18-20%.

This is weird. The Task manager Processes tab used to consistently show less than 20%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The memory after a day goes from 3.5 GB or so to 3.8GB since last night when I restarted it. The CPU usage went from 18-20% to 45-50%. GPU usage looks about the same between 32-36%. This is via the task manager. If they are related, why does the CPU usage go up as memory usage goes up? I have 16GB and the total memory used is 6.5GB.

I am logging in on a local monitor. I've also done Remote Desktop as well as just looking at the stats from the iOS app. I'm now starting to look at the Resource Manager app which show BlueIris.exe using 18-20%, while the Task manager Processes tab is showing 25% for the BlueIris background process, while the task manager Details tab showing 18-20%.

This is weird. The Task manager Processes tab used to consistently show less than 20%.
that is exactly why they are related, if memory goes up causing cpu to go up..but it doesnt seem like that is your issue..

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it's been 14 hours since I rebooted the machine and it was about 88% CPU and 4.7GB RAM usage via the iOS app, up from 16% and 3.4GB usage on boot. (16GB physical RAM). So I logged in locally to the computer.

Luckily I was able to find BI Tools on here and set it to restart BI when CPU usage gets to 90%. I checked the BIT log and it shows it detected BlueIris around 02:00. And around 16:00, CPU reached 99%, probably because I logged in locally and CPU spiked.

What is the difference between using 40-50% CPU and 0% GPU without hardware decoding vs 16% CPU and 30% GPU with hardware decoding? You think there is a big energy difference? I can't find my Kill-a-Watt meter. I also don't like the system having to restart because it reaches a critical CPU usage. I suppose I will try those older video drivers in the links to see if it's related. I really like BI for the better control than my old NVR, but the NVR was just plug and play. Hopefully, I can get it to be rock steady. NVR never had to be rebooted by me unless it did so on it's own that I didn't know about.

Thanks,

Jack

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So it's been 14 hours since I rebooted the machine and it was about 88% CPU and 4.7GB RAM usage via the iOS app, up from 16% and 3.4GB usage on boot. (16GB physical RAM). So I logged in locally to the computer.

Luckily I was able to find BI Tools on here and set it to restart BI when CPU usage gets to 90%. I checked the BIT log and it shows it detected BlueIris around 02:00. And around 16:00, CPU reached 99%, probably because I logged in locally and CPU spiked.

What is the difference between using 40-50% CPU and 0% GPU without hardware decoding vs 16% CPU and 30% GPU with hardware decoding? You think there is a big energy difference? I can't find my Kill-a-Watt meter. I also don't like the system having to restart because it reaches a critical CPU usage. I suppose I will try those older video drivers in the links to see if it's related. I really like BI for the better control than my old NVR, but the NVR was just plug and play. Hopefully, I can get it to be rock steady. NVR never had to be rebooted by me unless it did so on it's own that I didn't know about.

Thanks,

Jack
Blue iris is rock steady I have over 20 machines with no problem...this is an intel driver issue..if you think NVR's dont have issues search the threads..install the proper driver