High CPU usage on VM using BlueIris 4.8.5.5

crosamond

n3wb
Reaction score
We have 13 cameras at different locations streaming to a VM with a quad core processor and 16GB of RAM however the CPU usage continues to stay on average at 90%. I have gone through some forums plus BI support suggestions and adjusted the following however the issue still remains with no change in the high usage (we are using a licensed copy of BlueIris v 4.8.5.5 x64 bit):

* Hardware accelerated decode option on the service - any accelerator option has no change
* Limit decoding unless required on all cameras - no change
* Direct to disc recording - no change after the adjustment
* Limit FPS - adjustments on cameras and on BlueIris at 15FPS; no change
* Comment from support about Firewall/Antivirus acceptance - not applicable
* When looking at the task manager, BlueIris service alone is using all CPU usage; no other service is running on the VM
* Free space is not an issue on the vHDD
* This problem appeared to begin after recent update from 4.3.x but we did a vCPU upgrade which helped functionality; it is just showing on the camera web page that the CPU usage is staying at 90% most of the time.

We are looking to add more cameras but waiting to see about fixing the setup/configuration (on BI or on the cameras) before any other additions are made.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have 13 cameras at different locations streaming to a VM with a quad core processor and 16GB of RAM however the CPU usage continues to stay on average at 90%. I have gone through some forums plus BI support suggestions and adjusted the following however the issue still remains with no change in the high usage (we are using a licensed copy of BlueIris v 4.8.5.5 x64 bit):

* Hardware accelerated decode option on the service - any accelerator option has no change
* Limit decoding unless required on all cameras - no change
* Direct to disc recording - no change after the adjustment
* Limit FPS - adjustments on cameras and on BlueIris at 15FPS; no change
* Comment from support about Firewall/Antivirus acceptance - not applicable
* When looking at the task manager, BlueIris service alone is using all CPU usage; no other service is running on the VM
* Free space is not an issue on the vHDD
* This problem appeared to begin after recent update from 4.3.x but we did a vCPU upgrade which helped functionality; it is just showing on the camera web page that the CPU usage is staying at 90% most of the time.

We are looking to add more cameras but waiting to see about fixing the setup/configuration (on BI or on the cameras) before any other additions are made.
You need to state the exact model of processor you are referring to. Quad Core doesn't mean much.
Best to use bare metal dedicated to BI. Not a VM.
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

crosamond

n3wb
Reaction score
Shown in vmware as 4CPUs, 6097MHZ used (pic attached); I have gone through the settings suggested in the link above and no changes in performance usage. Changing to BM is a bit of a challenge but can if that is the only way to resolve.
One thing that I did try (another post I saw) was a decreased FPS and dropping from 15FPS to 10FPS has helped a little but worried of losing needed video if dropped any lower.

Attachments

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shown in vmware as 4CPUs, 6097MHZ used (pic attached); I have gone through the settings suggested in the link above and no changes in performance usage. Changing to BM is a bit of a challenge but can if that is the only way to resolve.
One thing that I did try (another post I saw) was a decreased FPS and dropping from 15FPS to 10FPS has helped a little but worried of losing needed video if dropped any lower.
Hopefully you're on Windows 10, it'll show what I'm asking for. Take a screen shot of the task manager with the "Performace tab selected and then the CPU tab selected. This should show what processor you have and if you have IGD passthrough helping your processor which you probably don't. Like the one below.
upload_2019-3-19_11-25-54.png