High-End IP Cam for Live View

Reaction score
Hi folks,

We are looking to provide HD Live View video from outside on the top of our building to some TV's (65" 4K TVs) to enhance guest experience. A vendor recommended the following model: IC Realtime ICIP-P2400-L. This is quite pricey at around 6000 US and I have never heard of IC Rt (maybe they are specialized). In any case I am wondering if there are better options out there if we intend to spend this much.

The requirements would be something that handles very bright conditions, has some kind of HDR to spice up the image, very good night image quality, POE, decent optical zoom, weather-rated. Not needed: PTZ (though it might be convenient as these will be 350m high). The specs for the camera mentioned before are attached if anyone is interested

I know this is a little out of the consumer IP cam spectrum, but any insights would be appreciated!

View attachment ICIPP2400L.pdf

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
>>350m high

Is this for the eye of sauron?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IC real-time is rebranded Dahua... that price and camera are insane for your needs...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your going to spend that money, at least get the Starlight model over the 1/2.8 sensor: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/pro_details.php?pid=990

but I think one of the black face models will work fine, you can get em in 4MP which will look better than 1080p on a 4k TV.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-4Mp-PTZ-Full-HD-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-SD59430U-HN-free-DHL-shipping/32620131719.html

out of the consumer cam spectrum? dont tell my wife that, I have one bolted to the side of my house.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want HDR or similar effects/filters, you're going to need to apply those using a computer.
The number of clients viewing the camera is significant too, you'll likely need to use a computer/server of some kind to facilitate that and would probably have to use multicast.

I'm not saying this is the best option for your application (it certainly wouldn't be a bad one), but that same camera can be had for $1300
Dahua 2Mp Full HD 30x Star Light Network Laser PTZ Dome Camera SD6AL230F HNI,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

It may have a wiper, but it doesn't take wiper fluid :p
@ENiGMA lol 350m is pretty high, but the tallest building in the world is 828m

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I guess at that height a wiper blade would be very handy.. I can reach mine with a pole out a 2nd story bedroom window.. and even that sux.

Reaction score
Good info everyone, thanks! Right now, the plan is for viewing on the TV's only. Wow, re-branded Dauha. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, will look into the units you linked. I run Dahua at my farm but didn't even think to check their more expensive models for comparison. The higher ups (I am just the IT guy!) were probably wooed by a fancy sales pitch from this AV vendor.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would put that sucker on auto patrol and watch the show. If you want to entertain your guests, then PTZ and auto patrol is definitely the way to do it

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the type of "auto-patrol" video which, I believe, would be very entertaining for your guests to watch...

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
^ that's like 6 stories high though, the view from a skyscraper would be amazing

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your going to spend that money, at least get the Starlight model over the 1/2.8 sensor: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/en/us/pro_details.php?pid=990

but I think one of the black face models will work fine, you can get em in 4MP which will look better than 1080p on a 4k TV.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-4Mp-PTZ-Full-HD-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-SD59430U-HN-free-DHL-shipping/32620131719.html

out of the consumer cam spectrum? dont tell my wife that, I have one bolted to the side of my house.

What do you think of the 5mp dahua compared to the one you suggest above? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DAHUA-5MP-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-Network-High-speed-Dome-Camera-Vandalproof-PTZ-Dome/32666525684.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.29.QGZ2lm&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_4_10017_507_401,searchweb201603_1&btsid=67c1e860-3c5f-481b-b777-77375e4764fd
It's a few hundred more I know, but if I'm gonna spend the money I'd rather get a really nice camera. I'd like to clearly see a face from 60m at least. Will be on the second floor of my two story house looking down a cul-de-sac, into a cross street.

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2MP PTZ Tangent Linked: Color: 0.002Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.0002Lux@F1.6; 0Lux (IR on)
5MP PTZ You Linked: Color: 0.01Lux/F1.5; B/W: 0.001Lux/F1.5; 0Lux (IR on)

Thats not very good low light capabilities, id rather pay more for the wiper and low light personally.

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2MP PTZ Tangent Linked: Color: 0.002Lux@F1.6; B/W: 0.0002Lux@F1.6; 0Lux (IR on)
5MP PTZ You Linked: Color: 0.01Lux/F1.5; B/W: 0.001Lux/F1.5; 0Lux (IR on)

Thats not very good low light capabilities, id rather pay more for the wiper and low light personally.

But the low light capability is better than the "black face" model http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-4Mp-PTZ-Full-HD-30x-Network-IR-PTZ-Dome-Camera-SD59430U-HN-free-DHL-shipping/32620131719.html
correct?

And given that it's 5mp instead of 2, wouldnt that be beneficial for clarity at a distance? Or is there something Im missing?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, its basically the same: Color: 0.05Lux F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux F1.6

one is using F1.5 and the other is using F1.6 for the spec, so that accounts for the minor difference as F1.5 is a larger aperture than F1.6

the black face Dahua is 4MP, but a 2MP Starlight will kick the shit out of clarity at a distance at night out of a 5MP..

if you increase pixel density without increasing sensor size, the low light performance gets worse.

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no, its basically the same: Color: 0.05Lux F1.6; B/W: 0.005Lux F1.6

one is using F1.5 and the other is using F1.6 for the spec, so that accounts for the minor difference as F1.5 is a larger aperture than F1.6

the black face Dahua is 4MP, but a 2MP Starlight will kick the shit out of clarity at a distance at night out of a 5MP..

if you increase pixel density without increasing sensor size, the low light performance gets worse.
Thanks for your help. Realizing this question is more complex than I originally thought, and in an effort to not hijack someone elses thread, I created my own.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/11645-Help-narrowing-my-choice-Too-many-to-choose-from!!!?p=105289#post105289

Reaction score
The real benefit of buying with IC Realtime would be their insane 10 year warranty. Even after those 10 years are up, if your machine is still running you can always call tech support for life to help with setup or access questions.

If you are someone who likes to open and modify your camera then by all means buy cheap, but remember 10 years is a LONG time to be sure your product will remain working. IC Realtime also customizes the firmware so support for special features or options increases.

Additionally if you are integrating they have a team of people that can help make custom firmware to fit your needs and techs that respond pretty damn fast.

I know all that extra service comes at a cost but 8 years down the line when it stops working, where do you want to stand?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The real benefit of buying with IC R**ltime would be their insane 10 year warranty.
If you're over paying by so much you can replace the camera several times over it better have a long warranty. But I'm still not convinced it's a good deal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know all that extra service comes at a cost but 8 years down the line when it stops working, where do you want to stand?
8 years from now if a camera takes a shit; I'll replace it with a new model thats an order of magnitude better performing for a fraction of the cost when I originally installed it.. video surveillance tech dont move that fast; but its not so slow you should be taking a decades long approach.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The real benefit of buying with IC Realtime would be their insane 10 year warranty. Even after those 10 years are up, if your machine is still running you can always call tech support for life to help with setup or access questions.

If you are someone who likes to open and modify your camera then by all means buy cheap, but remember 10 years is a LONG time to be sure your product will remain working. IC Realtime also customizes the firmware so support for special features or options increases.

Additionally if you are integrating they have a team of people that can help make custom firmware to fit your needs and techs that respond pretty damn fast.

Lol, have you seen their terms. Particularly numbers 7, 9 and 10? I would not buy from them simply based on this deceptive advertising.
IC Realtime Security Solutions
Ten (10) Year Warranty Conditions & Exceptions:
1. Dated proof of purchase with covered unit serial numbers is required for warranty service. Please include a copy of your receipt or invoice with your return.

2. All goods requiring warranty repair require acquiring a valid TICKET NUMBER (TKT). TKT numbers can only be issued by IC Realtime technical representatives via email (tech@ICRealtime.com) or by calling the support line at (954) 772-5327.

3 .Service returns must have the issued RMA number displayed on the return shipment carton or label. Returns received without an RMA number visible will be refused and returned to the sender unopened.

4. IC Realtime assumes no risk and shall be subject to no liability for damages or loss resulting from the specific use or application made of the Products. IC Realtimes’s liability for any claim, whether based on breach of contract, negligence, infringement of any rights of any party or product liability, relating to the Products shall not exceed the price paid to IC Realtime for such Products or the published (Dealer price at the time of sale ), whichever is less.

5. In no event will IC Realtime be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages (including loss of use, loss of profit and claims of third parties) however caused, whether by the negligence of IC Realtime or otherwise.

6. For warranty repaired or replaced products, IC Realtime will warrant all replacement parts and repairs for the remainder of the original warranty, or 90 days from the date of IC Realtime repair/replacement return shipment, whichever is longer.

7. Service and warranty repairs are prorated from the end user date of purchase. For Four (4) years (48 months) after purchase IC Realtime covers 100% of replacement or repair costs. After 4 years (48 months), replacement or repair value will prorate for normal wear & by .83 % per month from date of purchase through the end of warranty period. Replacement, upgrade or repair charges are calculated at standard dealer or MSRP pricing whichever is applicable . Warranty is non-transferrable.

8. Repairs made necessary by reason of misuse, alteration, or accident, or cosmetic damage such as finish fading or scratches & scuffs are not covered under this warranty.

9. Exceptions, IR Rings (the illumination ring circuit board, LEDs and Components mounted on the board) Hard Drives. Both these components are covered for three (3) years.

10. After 36 months there is no warranty of any kind on these components. Any product sold by IC Realtime but not manufactured by IC Realtime is warranted only by the original manufactures warranty, no other warranty of any kind is offered or implied.

11. Customers seeking warranty for products not manufactured by IC Realtime need to deal directly with the original equipment manufacturer.

Last edited: