High Speed Pursuit - Police Shoot Thru Windshield

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for how the Las Vegas Police handle shootings. All officers are required to have body cams and they release the footage within a few days.

Here is a recent high speed pursuit where a couple of murders try to flee (60+ shots fired):

And here is the full debrief:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wow that was crazy impressive driving .. thought he was gonna hit something when he only had one hand on the wheel...

gotta get them a hand free radio kit

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The risks are a trade off. He was being shot at before he opened fire. Eliminating that threat to the public, and him, would seem to take precedence, at least to me. Then there's the old adrenalin pump that happens no matter how well trained someone is. All too often we forget that cops are people, too, and react "normally" when threatened. Expecting them to repress that reaction every time just isn't reasonable in my mind. The "piling on" that happens isn't reasonable though. I'll guarantee he has tinitus, ringing in the ears, for the rest of his life from that incident.

Now a hood mounted gun with eyeball targeting would come in handy in a situation like that. Not very practical though. Where's RoboCop when you need him?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
He got the job done... Is very easy to critique someone after the fact... The animals were driving down the street shooting... A+ work.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It IS loud! I can attest from training classes and shooting from inside vehicles now and then in IDPA matches. Yeah there was certainly some risk, always is, but the officer was very good i thought about placing his rounds. He even used two hands and hesitated to make sure he was on target multiple times. We've all seen many videos of exchanged gunfire in much more enclosed spaces with civilians in close proximity with lesser trained officers "spraying and praying".

Judgement call to be sure, but you have a BG popping off 30 some rounds driving along public streets, the lead chase officer is taking rounds, BG isnt giving up, clearly an ongoing imminent threat.

It would have been nicer to have been able call in a Hellfire via drone, but alas....

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some of his tactics I didn't agree with but he had heart and courage. Some.officers wouldn't have even pursued the suspect or found reasons not to shoot or engage. Typical officer involved shootings are pretty crazy and this one isn't even on the scales.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks to me like it was the officer shooting from his vehicle that caused them to stop. The car was still functioning.

You can also see the officer was extremely concerned about being shot at, even instructing the other police car to not get too close. So when he closed in to take those shots, he knew he was closing on someone shooting at him. Heart and courage - I'd say yeah definitely.

Crazy vid, got my heart pumping just watching it. Animals shooting at cops after murdering someone. Just no regard. Glad to see it ended well, surprised the policy doesn't call for shooting at the car to disable it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with the above praise, I really should engage brain before typing sometimes. ;)

I've shot from inside vehicles at IDPA as well. And I can't imagine doing so without hearing protection.

We indeed are lucky to have folks willing to risk their lives like that for us.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Besides a hands free radio, a GPS loction feed from the PD car to dispatch would help. Multiple times the PO reports what street he's on, and the cross streets their passing.
Some technology would allow the PO to concentrate on driving, two hands on wheel. And having pursuit primary in his mind, reducing the distraction of updating dispatch....

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Besides a hands free radio, a GPS loction feed from the PD car to dispatch would help. Multiple times the PO reports what street he's on, and the cross streets their passing.
Some technology would allow the PO to concentrate on driving, two hands on wheel. And having pursuit primary in his mind, reducing the distraction of updating dispatch....
On the technical side with the siren and other ambient noise, it's understandable why they might use a radio you have to hold. Hands free is possible but this isn't the easiest environment. I was thinking something like lane keep assist could have some in handy.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recall a time when there always was 2 officers in a car... good old Adam 12 days...

( well, maybe not always - but very frequently )

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They do have GPS on the cruisers BUT.... its not real time its delayed 5,10 or 15 even more seconds depending on what they have it set at for the ping. What i dont understand is why he didn't he the emergency button on his radio which then Opens the mic up and allows for him to be heard without keying up.

Props to the officer but i dont see this one going very well even when being fired at from a moving car i dont know any department that would allow a case to go on while return firing back from a moving police car. In chicago you would be fried for that and a payout to the family would be instant even tho he was in the right to shoot

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They do have GPS on the cruisers BUT.... its not real time its delayed 5,10 or 15 even more seconds depending on what they have it set at for the ping. What i dont understand is why he didn't he the emergency button on his radio which then Opens the mic up and allows for him to be heard without keying up.

Props to the officer but i dont see this one going very well even when being fired at from a moving car i dont know any department that would allow a case to go on while return firing back from a moving police car. In chicago you would be fried for that and a payout to the family would be instant even tho he was in the right to shoot
You have no idea how or why he operated the radio the way he did...stick with driving your ambulance, you are a wannabe cop.
Stop making shit up .. on what basis would there be a payout to the murderers family? You don't know a department that would allow that? Well then all a suspect needs to do is fire a weapon and Chase over? Listen to the briefing, that department allowed it.

Last edited: