Hik turret install pics

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I moved one of my 2.8mm turrets. There is conduit running about 2' behind the camera in the ceiling and will have an flush mount access door when the ceiling is finished.

I would have tilted it more, but the seam on the turret ball would have been exposed. That could be an issue if rain hits it, and will hit it.. So the seam is just behind the cover about 1/16".

If this doesn't work with the first rain fall, I will relocated it under the porch to allow more flexibility in the tilting.

Patio.20140615_115254.jpg

20140615_115238.jpg

20140615_115247.jpg

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My wife just walked out and saw where I mounted it.. "What the hell were you thinking? That looks fugly" is the first thing that she said. I guess I will be moving it after all. :mad-new:

I might just put a mini-dome DS-2CD2532F above the double door on the porch and use this somewhere else.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes the best researched solutions / locations / ... all become totally moot when the female veto is introduced ;) and it wouldn't be the first time either that a previously approved solution / implementation of whatever is suddenly deep sixed either. And if there's one thing I hate, it is fixing somethign that isn't broken, that I just put in, ...

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Night shot

An old Foscam 8905 is being used for IR only and it the primary light source you see to the fence in the back. The tree in the middle top area is about 175' from the cam.

Patio.20140615_231515.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should mount it under the deck and have the connections above the camera. Water does not travel upward and the camera itself should be submersible.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought this was a great location originally. My wife was on my case to get it installed so we could finish the ceiling in the porch.

I will move it back to under the porch to see if it meets her visual approval, if not then I will get the DS-2CD2532F. Our front door will probably need the DS-2CD2532F above to not be too large.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I moved it this weekend to make the wife happy (read happier)

Patio.20140621_132937.jpg

20140621_131959.jpg

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would mount to bottom of deck, in the corner near the brick

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
they start to be more agreeable once some scumbag breaks into the house, or leaves a bike in the car port leaned up against the wall..... I now have a much easier time putting cameras where I want.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have had our share of theft while building the house. Luckily, we have super fast response from the local PD. I had 10 cops at my house within 5 minutes when I called them the last time. This pic was taken less than 3 minutes from when I "dialed". The one on the left was the 3rd to show up, he was less than .5 miles from my house on the same road and coming my direction when the call came in.

FPR.20130205_114154_2.jpg

6 more arrived very soon after. I am sure that guy needed new underwear. I nearly needed it watching them arrive from 2 houses away via the video feed.

The best part, the cops turned to me and asked if I had video of the theft. I said sure, will this work and pulled out my phone and showed the evidence I had. They asked for a copy and I handed it over a few minutes later and it was added to the arrest file in the driveway. They said it makes life easy for them with hard evidence.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent !

Can't get any better response time than that!

So you were at home when this fellow broke in into your house, car or garage? Plain daylight. Heard something. Guy didn't think anybody was home ...

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We were still building the house and renting 2 houses away. I had a wireless link between the 2 houses sending the video to my desktop. I saw the guy walking up and kept an eye on him. He tried to enter the basement area and I called the PD, he only walked about 75' from when I called to his prone position in the pic. I walked up once I saw the police arrive as I was telling them where he was on the phone. I do have a couple signs in the front stating the property was under surveillance and violators would be prosecuted.

The local PD has an FB page and were talking about some break-ins in the area and what to do to prevent them. I mentioned cameras and the person that maintains the FB page replied "trust what he says", so I posted that same pic on their page for proof.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That worked out great!

Though in your case the perp actually ignored the signs & cameras! Pretty bold, if you ask me. But it worked out to apprehend him.

I like live monitoring when I'm near the computer, on a second screen. Another thing that can help with early detection, versus 99% false motion detection alerts due to rain/snow/wind/cloud shadows/... is a little driveway alert system. I got one after seeing unknown vehicles leave my property, one too many times. It is pretty good at detecting animals, people and cars. If you have a bit of a long driveway, it gives a fair heads up to look out the window or get near the computer. As long as people follow the driveway of course, and don't walk through the woods, jump over the fence with the neighbors, etc.

Anyhow. Hopefully your vigilance and quick action followed by fast police response, can tie him to other local crimes and/or break-ins. Otherwise he'll just get off with a slap on the wrist, which is what happened to the guy trying to get into some of my neighbors' houses while they were home. Guy got charged with criminal mischief for damaging a window.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the first POS scumbag we caught, I had just installed a couple foscams after we had about half the copper stolen. This moron came back a couple weeks after the initial theft and we caught him. I had the eval version BI at the time to see if it worked.

first scumbag.png

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Paarlberg

You've rubbed off on me and my hysteria. :) As we're planning on moving out for approximately 6 months in order to add an extension and renovation to the existing house, I may throw in more cameras so that I can have a complete view of the entire external areas surrounding the house. I may only be 5 minutes away down the road but theft from building sites is an epidemic down here in Australia as well.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran a wireless link between the houses. If you have line of sight, I can suggest a couple good wireless radios.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm going to be 3km down the road. The upbeat is that both places have decent cable so I can just vpn into one from the other.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3km isn't bad, if you have LOS, you can easy connect with a pair of the Engenius ENH500 for about $160.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately still not that easy :( You see there's the issue of a big hill inbetween. From my place I can see the top of the hill but the other place sits quite a bit lower and I don't think I'll get the go ahead to suspend a super high mast. I appreciate the suggestions though.