Hikvision 2DC-2120 won't power on

noct

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a brand new Hikvision 2CD-2120 IP camera but it won't power on. Tried powering it via AC/DC adapter (According to the user's manual, it's best to use 12V/2A adapter, I used 12V/1A.) bypassing PoE, then connecting it through CAT5E cable directly to PC. Ethernet LED icon on my PC does not light up and network's setting show that no device is connected. Camera LEDs won't light up, DC adapter works just fine.

Alternatively, I also bought a passive PoE injector and tried connecting it directly without using the DC jack in the camera.

Since I am not well versed in electronics, I'm gueesing I'm doing something wrong.

Or is it likely that the camera is faulty? Don't know much about this particular brand of cameras.

Thanks for help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Or is it likely that the camera is faulty?
From what you have described, this seems likely.

But a couple of additional things:
Try a different ethernet cable, and connect both camera and the PC to your router/switch. Check the port lights on the router/switch.
Also - SADP is a good tool to find any Hikvision devices - though I am assuming it still works with that model : SADP Tool

noct

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So I finally managed to get it running. Just connected the cam to 12V/2A DC adapter (instead of 12V/1A that I used previously) and it works. In a way it's quite interesting since many people claimed that they use only 1A without any problems.