Hikvision 4K IP Turret playback

Pablo777

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 4 4K ip turret cameras hooked up to a 4GB nvr. My NIC on the nvr is 10/100. Live view in HD/SD works fine. Issue is when i playback it lags or skips. Ive been trying to play with some settings, but having no luck. Curious what others have for settings wise (would like playback to be in HD) thanks in advance

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Issue is when i playback it lags or skips.
Presumably that's on the web GUI.
What's the PC specs? Does it have a good graphics capability?
It may be worth experimenting with the 'Play performance' settings in the web GUI 'Local' menu.

What do you see using Playback via the VGA/HDMI interface?

Pablo777

n3wb
Reaction score
The computer is an iMac 2017 27” fully spec’d out. It doesn’t matter app, iPhone, pc or tv connected directed to the nvr via hdmi. I have had 4 4mp cameras before and never an issue with playback. I run different settings but am curious to see how others are setup.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 4 4K ip turret cameras hooked up to a 4GB nvr. My NIC on the nvr is 10/100. Live view in HD/SD works fine. Issue is when i playback it lags or skips. Ive been trying to play with some settings, but having no luck. Curious what others have for settings wise (would like playback to be in HD) thanks in advance
Hi @Pablo777

What NVR did you get?
Have you tried to download clips to the MAC and play them?

Remember NVRs are optimized to prioritize recording, so sometimes you will have issues with 4K play back if the NVRs processing power is less than needed to preform all the tasks. ( I do not know if this is the issue you are encountering - just that often the most affordable NVRs with a full load of "4K" cameras is often short of processing power for display purposes also from what I have seen )

genesant

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently upgraded the NVR firmware from V3.4.3 build 161217 to V3.4.92 build 170518 on my Hik DS-7716NI-14/16P. After that the 4K cameras had the issue you are talking about but the 2MP and 4MP cameras did not have the playback issue. What fixed the issue for me was to match the I Frame Interval to the Frame Rate instead of using the default of 50.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently upgraded the NVR firmware from V3.4.3 build 161217 to V3.4.92 build 170518 on my Hik DS-7716NI-14/16P. After that the 4K cameras had the issue you are talking about but the 2MP and 4MP cameras did not have the playback issue. What fixed the issue for me was to match the I Frame Interval to the Frame Rate instead of using the default of 50.
The latest firmware for I series NVRs is 4.0.21.008 which changes the onboard GUI interface, a completely retooled PC plugin (it’s no longer called web components) and other general improvements. (Compared to what you have now)

Maybe worth a try:
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/portal/Technical Materials/02 NVR/00 Product Firmware/04 I-series/[76 77 96 NI-I]/V4.21.008 build190625 /NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.21.008_190625.zip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genesant

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pablo777 - Did you try changing I Frame yet to see if it fixed your problem like it did for me?

CoreyX64 - The 4.21.005 was not showing on the USA Hik site when I did my upgrade (maybe they had issues with it) but it is back now. Do you like the Version 4 changes?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven’t bothered with the USA firmware site in years. The versions were inconsistent with the other region sites and I started receiving devices running firmware newer than what they even offered, so I canned it. UK is my go-to now and it is the same exact firmware.

As far as the V4 changes it took a minute to get used to but the NVRs now run plugin-free in chrome and any current version browser. That was enough of a selling point for me. There’s a bunch of other smaller things changed, too much to list here but for the better.

The onboard GUI is the only thing that took a minute to get used to. I don’t mind it now.

Pablo777

n3wb
Reaction score
so if I have full frame rate setup. I think that means 30fps from what I read online. I set the iframe the same

Pablo777

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. So if I put it at 30fps and there only 20fps, do that create an issue at 4K?

genesant

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For what it is worth mine are the 2385 and yes they are 20FPS. I had also tried 15FPS with similar poor results on playback when the iframe was still set at the default of 50. Either frame rate works fine when set with the identical iframe rate. The Frame Rate setting on my NVR, at the high end of the scale, is 15-16-18-20-Full Frame so it seems unlikely it allows 30FPS but if 30 is what you set the iframe at then I would change it to15FPS/15iframe or 20/20 and see how it works for you. Another thing to check is that when I change Main Stream(Continuous) Frame Rates the NVR recommends setting the Main Stream(Event) to the same setting.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes. So if I put it at 30fps and there only 20fps, do that create an issue at 4K?
I’ve found the NVRs to still report FPS rates higher than what a camera supports. It’s a phantom option. If you select it, it should kick back with a parameter error. “Full frame rate” will give you the highest rate supported by the camera. You can’t extract a higher frame rate than what the camera supports, naturally.

I’ve never Tampered with the I frames so I can’t comment on that.