Hikvision 4K NVR Problem

Sparkysdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice regarding my new Hikvision system. The system is made of the following:
DS-7608NI-I2/8P-NVR-DS-7608NI-I2/8P 2 x 3TB WD Purple.
1 x DS-2CD2185FWD-I-4MM
1 x DS-2CD2185FWD-I-2.8MM
2 x DS-2CD2785FWD-IZS

This is a replacement for my pervious Hikvision DS-7716NI-E4/16P that had four 2/3 MP IP cameras connected to it. I had this system running without a problem for a couple of years. We’ve had a few incidents during the night recently, so I decided it’s time for higher res cameras and recorder.

Following the swap out I had some problems however they seemed to resolve themselves and the system has been running ok for a couple of weeks.
Today the old problem has reoccurred; I’ll try and explain as best as I can.

All four cameras are showing as being connected to the NVR and the NVR is running the latest software V4.1.10 Build 171107
When viewing the cameras using a monitor only one/two of the cameras are showing with main stream selected, when I switch to sub stream they are all showing. I can view the cameras using my android phone.
I’ve looked back over the last 24 hours recording and it seems the system has randomly stopped recording on one or two channels. When I turned the monitor on this morning one of the cameras was showing only part of the view and another had the time frozen.
I’m at a bit of a loss to know the cause, have any of you experienced the same problem, I’m wondering if it’s a hardware problem with the NVR.

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When viewing the cameras using a monitor only one/two of the cameras are showing with main stream selected, when I switch to sub stream they are all showing. I can view the cameras using my android phone.
I’ve looked back over the last 24 hours recording and it seems the system has randomly stopped recording on one or two channels. When I turned the monitor on this morning one of the cameras was showing only part of the view and another had the time frozen.
I’m at a bit of a loss to know the cause, have any of you experienced the same problem, I’m wondering if it’s a hardware problem with the NVR.

Thanks
Hi Sparkydog,

Do double check that the streams are not being recorded,

Sometimes with 4K cameras the 4K NVRs are unable to decode all the connected 4K cameras at full res for live view.
Typically though the NVR gives priority to recording, so while your live view may not show all camera streams at 4K - the streams are being recorded.

Sparkysdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Sparkydog,

Do double check that the streams are not being recorded,

Sometimes with 4K cameras the 4K NVRs are unable to decode all the connected 4K cameras at full res for live view.
Typically though the NVR gives priority to recording, so while your live view may not show all camera streams at 4K - the streams are being recorded.
Hi Mat200, many thanks for the reply.
I understand what your saying about the NVR's capability to record 4K and stream it at the same time, I guess it's asking a lot of the NVR, although I've only got the HDMI output set to 1080p not 4K
As my system is installed in a domestic setting I want it to record all streams all the time, rather than just view them. My previous system has helped to identify someone up to no good during the early hours , I'm sure you understand I want to ensure I'm covered all the time.

What I can't understand is why the NVR seemed to stop recording some of the channels during the early hours, as the NVR is capable of recording 8 channels I would of thought only using 4 channels the NVR would be more than capable.

Cheers

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200, many thanks for the reply.
I understand what your saying about the NVR's capability to record 4K and stream it at the same time, I guess it's asking a lot of the NVR, although I've only got the HDMI output set to 1080p not 4K
As my system is installed in a domestic setting I want it to record all streams all the time, rather than just view them. My previous system has helped to identify someone up to no good during the early hours , I'm sure you understand I want to ensure I'm covered all the time.

What I can't understand is why the NVR seemed to stop recording some of the channels during the early hours, as the NVR is capable of recording 8 channels I would of thought only using 4 channels the NVR would be more than capable.

Cheers
Hi Sparkysdog,

Did the recordings in question stop at the same time?

Sparkysdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Sparkysdog,

Did the recordings in question stop at the same time?
Hi mat200

They all stopped at various times, the first one stopped at around 07.45, then the next one about an hour later and one just after that. It wouldn't be anything to do with incoming power as I'm running the supply through a UPS. The system has now been up and running since Sunday lunchtime without dropout (touch wood) It seems to run ok for a while and after a few days/week it seems to fall over.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sparkysdog,

I had some ideas if they all stopped at the same time... not certain now as I see you noted that you've got the latest firmware running.

Do you know if the cameras remain functional after the NVR stops recording the stream?

Sparkysdog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Sparkysdog,

I had some ideas if they all stopped at the same time... not certain now as I see you noted that you've got the latest firmware running.

Do you know if the cameras remain functional after the NVR stops recording the stream?
Hi mat200

I've just come home and reviewed all four cameras since midnight last night, until 14.09 this afternoon they were all recording ok. Just before 14.09 the time on one of the cameras appears to start breaking up, then the camera froze, it's strange because if I enable the sub stream the camera shows live video but will not record. Now it's decided at 17.46 to start recording and will display main stream on all channels.

I'm at a bit of a loss, you would assume as they are all to same brand, the NVR is a 4K NVR and the cameras are 4K 8MP they are all compatible. After all the NVR is supposed to be capable of using 8 x 12MP cameras

Hikvision quote:
Live view / Playback: | 12MP/8MP/6MP/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720p/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF
Capability: | 4-ch@8MP,16-ch@1080P​

The only thing I can think of is a hardware issue or possibly a software issue. You would have thought Hikvision would have sorted these out prior to launch.

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have all the cameras on 265+ this can help with band width
Problems I’ve set all mine up on 265+ seems to have ironed out the 4K cameras and the plus is the storage time is incredibly longer

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a hardware issue or possibly a software issue. You would have thought Hikvision would have sorted these out prior to launch.
HI Sparkysdog,

Are your cameras on an isolated network? ( sometimes cyberattacks may cause the issues you note - so I would try to disconnect them from the internet and your PCs and see if there is a change )

Also note, it is difficult to fully test any product for the numerous error conditions they may experience once deployed.

Sparkysdog

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Sparkysdog,

Are your cameras on an isolated network? ( sometimes cyberattacks may cause the issues you note - so I would try to disconnect them from the internet and your PCs and see if there is a change )

Also note, it is difficult to fully test any product for the numerous error conditions they may experience once deployed.
Hi mat200
The NVR is in a different IP range to the main home network. As you've suggested I will disconnect it for a test period, of course the only problem would then be remote monitoring. I guess anything is worth a try. I turned the monitor on this morning and one cameras has frozen about three hours before I viewed it, the strange thing is if I switch to sub stream it is showing in real time. This makes me think the cameras must be ok at the problem is random but maybe there is a problem with the NVR.

Thanks