Hikvision 5.4.4 features for older cameras?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was curious if anyone with experience watching Hikvision do firmware updates had any thoughts on if features in firmware only for newer cameras are likely to ever get incorporated in future updates for older cameras?

@simon247 mentioned that 5.4.4 (for the R6s) has some new parameters for tuning Intrusion Detection (below). I'm pretty interested in this, but all of my cameras are the 3MP R0s, so there is no 5.4.4 for them.

Was curious if there was a chance those features would show up in a future firmware update for the R0s, or if the 3MP R0s are EOL when it comes to getting new stuff like that?

Firmware 5.4.4 should help with this. You can set a max size area for a "moving object" before it triggers an intrusion alarm. Just make sure your max size area is smaller than the area of the "moving object" when the lights go out/come back on but larger than a moving person. Enabling rules in your config should help you determine the exact size to go for.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
those features require additional processing power; your older hardware unlikely meets the minimum requirements..

also dont expect new features to ever be backported to older hardware; almost never happens.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"No new features" is what I expected, but after Hikvision did that UI change to the firmware (between what I saw in the reviews from 2015 vs. what todays firmware looks like), I wasn't sure what their past history actually was in this regard.

Grrr that the processors on their new 4MP cameras are that much faster, but the sensors aren't any bigger. So if you buy a 4MP camera, you get new features, but not-as-good night photos. But if you buy a 3MP camera, you don't get new features, but you do get better night photos.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed with @nayr Dahua is fast becoming the new choice for installer at the lower end and also diy'ers with original English models at lower prices than hacked Chinese Hikvision camera's. no silly games either.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That camera causes me a lot of second-guessing. lol

I'm not working in a super low-light area, so I'm not sure if the 2MP+huge sensor is going to be a hinderance in my case or not.

IPVM is showing that I need 3MP/4MP cameras (4mm) to get a decent PPF. I'm worried that with this Dahua Varifocal Current (at 2MP), I'd have to zoom in so much to get the same PPF that the field of view would be narrow enough I'd need more of these cameras to cover the same area?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can rarely get both id and overview out of same camera.. if your goal is id then blind spot s are accepted.

It's not a big sensor camera, and even in good light it gives more detail and can even be left in color.. more megapixels with less detail is not any benefit.. don't chase pixels when photons are the game

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
don't trust IPVM totally use a basic lens calculator for you distance and field of view, resolution is over come with zoom, meaning you focus to what you want to look at 2mp is so much better also in low light.
if you after general view then a higher MP model would be OK but never better than a direct field of view.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Grrr that the processors on their new 4MP cameras are that much faster, but the sensors aren't any bigger. So if you buy a 4MP camera, you get new features, but not-as-good night photos. But if you buy a 3MP camera, you don't get new features, but you do get better night photos.
The 4mp produced better night images than the 3mp cams...the 2mp even better...but as others have said, the dahua starlight is so much better that its worth spending the extra cash on it.
Also consider that you almost never need to 4mm or 6mm lenses, so by zooming in to 5mm or 7mm you effectively increase your ppf count making the 1080p equal to the 3mp or 4mp camera...remember that 4mp is not double the ppf of a 2mp...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, read theDahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)thread from start-to-finish. Photons FTW, I guess -- the pictures/videos in that thread were impressive (both daylight and at night).

Just PM'ed Andy to get on the wait list for one.

In the meantime, I've got three Hikivision turrets on order. Two have been shipped -- I'll return those as soon as they arrive, and one is still processing, .. I should be able to cancel that... Fun times. :)