Hikvision 7616NI-E2/P8 and uninterruptible power supply (UPS)

voltron81

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just bought from China the NVR Hikvision 7616NI-E2/P8 with 8 PoE cameras and I am about to start the installation.
I would like to connect the NVR to an UPS, so that if somebody will cut the energy cable to the house, cameras are still running for a bit. ADSL modem will be connected with UPS as well, so that internet is still on.

The point that I would like to ask is: there is any way to connect via USB the UPS with NVR, so that the NVR can realize when he is getting energy from UPS and not from the electrical line?

I would like to receive perhaps an alert via email from the NVR when the UPS is acting as source for it.

Do you know how to do it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You need UPS-aware client support on a device in order to initiate a controlled shutdown or other activity in the event of a power failure.
To the best of my knowledge the 7616NI-E2/8P has no such support.

voltron81

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need UPS-aware client support on a device in order to initiate a controlled shutdown or other activity in the event of a power failure.
To the best of my knowledge the 7616NI-E2/8P has no such support.
I was thinking that unfortunately this was the case :(

I am just wondering if there is any tricky way to create some homemade external device that can recognize that UPS is active and maybe pass the message to the NVR via an alarm input port.

Suggestions are more than wellcome :)

voltron81

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking on something to be putted before that the electric cable go to the UPS, with an hardware that would realize when the electricity is not passing on the cable, and then can send an impulse to the Alarm IN port of the NVR, so to trigger an alarm...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wire a 120vac relay to an outlet without battery power (or 12vdc relay hooked to a wall-wart), hook the normally closed ports of the relay to your alarm input... when the power goes out the relay will close and your NVR will be aware.

your home alarm system might also have such monitoring built in, in which case you could hook an output from your security system into the input on your NVR and any time your home security system is in alarm your NVR will be aware.. I prefer this option because you can set-up your cameras to take snapshots and email you if your home security system is triggered.

Last edited by a moderator:

voltron81

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sound good. Can you give me more info about this 120vac ralay? Pictures? Scheme?
Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well a relay is like an electronic switch... you give it power and it activates.

120VAC is so you can plug it right into the wall, so when its plugged in its active and when its without power its in the 'normal' state.

It will have two inputs, to power the coil.. you will hook these to an AC power cord, dont matter what wire goes where, disregard the ground wire if you have one.

A SPDT relay will have three outputs, COM, NC, NO.. NC is Normally Closed and NO is Normally Open.. COM is Common.. you will hook the alarm ground to COM and the alarm input to NC.. when there is no power the ground and the input will be connected and you should detect this as closed within your NVR, and you give it power the alarm will be OPEN

This relay would be a bit overkill, but I like using them when dealing with 120v power because they attach to an electrical junction box from the local hardware store.
http://www.amazon.com/Functional-Devices-Ribu1C-Relay-Enclosed/dp/B000LESCI2

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

intz

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if Hikvision has provided support for controlled shutdown on their NVRs yet? Unable to find any information on it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if Hikvision has provided support for controlled shutdown on their NVRs yet? Unable to find any information on it.
The nvr will be just fine without controlled shutdown. Dont over think it.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not get a Raspberry Pi and run Linux or FreeBSD with apcupsd or nut (?) Or use a low-power computer you can leave on 24x7. A laptop you never use would work well.

apcupsd: apcupsd | A daemon for controlling APC UPSes

Nut: Network UPS Tools - Documentation

Use the RPi or PC to communicate with the UPS using USB and write a script to log onto the Hikvision in the event of a power failure using SSH and initiate the shutdown process

There's lots of boiler plate examples of scripts that do that sort of thing all over. You just plug in your variables (IP/domain name of NVR, shutdown command for Hikvision, etc.).

Shell Script for logging into a ssh server

You can turn on SSH or telnet using the Hikvision SDK for Windows or Linux. Google it for more in-depth info.

How to enable SSH or telnet on your Hikvision device: Is SSH or telnet available in 5.4.5?

Be sure you use a strong password and change the port from default 22 to something else (up to 49151) if the NVR is exposed to the internet (change all your ports while you're at it if it's exposed).

Good luck!