Hikvision 8mp Bullet

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey guys,

I'm seriously thinking about buying this camera for the front yard. I have other hikvision cameras and the pictures are great. I like this one in particular, not because it is eight megapixels, but because it is a bullet that has onboard storage. Does anyone have any experience with these cameras?

Attachments

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got DS-2CD2032-I (same style just lower resolution) along with a few (6) other Hikvision cameras. I've been happy with the 2032 performance. But I would look at the Hikvision turret camera the DS-2CD2385FWD-I . Easy to keep clean and has a flat lens like the 2085 so you'll get the same clear and sharp picture quality.

Hikvision cameras that have a "F" in the model number denotes it has on board storage.

I've found the bullet style camera are prone to spiders setting up home around them. It seems to be a common problem reading some of the posts in this forum.

I paid $154.00 usd delived for camera DS-2CD2385FWD-I Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision 8MP IP Camera DS 2CD2385FWD I Network Turret Camera H.265 Updatable CCTV Security Camera With SD Card Slot from Reliable turret camera suppliers on XinRay Store
plus a POE power supply @ $6.88 usd. http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2NRJ2fA
plus 2 x Cat6 Ethernet patch cables http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qJaiQFQ They are high quality.
Everthing took about 10 days with standard shipping.
The picture quality from 2385 is really good and much better than my 3 or 4mp Hik cameras. Nice and easy to mount too.

Any future Hiks will be turret style cameras for me.

Attachments

fvhjof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before buying bullet 8mp camera see this video:

There is a good comparison of 5mp turret 2355 and 5mp bullet 2055. Turret has better EXIR light and performs much better at night.

Last edited:

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys for all of the responses. I have turrets and love them. They are 4mp but still look fantastic. My problem is that a turret or dome will be difficult to mount in the front yard because my roof line has a steep slope. I've seen the angled mount for the dome/turret style cameras but it doesn't appear to have enough of an angle. Do you know of a better solution? I'm totally on board with the turret style camera.

fvhjof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can mount turret camera on the wall without any mount or use inclined ceiling mount

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd worry about the future firmware upgradeability of these cameras, coming from a chinese reseller.

Are they US firmware, or hacked english firmware?
I have not had a problem with this Ali store. XinRay have been around for awhile (5 years) and have over 23300 sales with 97.1% postive feedback (as at 10 July 2017) to there name. Every camera I and friends have ordered has been delivered as described. It states in the product page that the camera is upgradable and is English. The retailer will be fined by Aliexpress if this is not the case.

Upgrading the software is just a case of downloading it from the Hikvision web portal. All the cameras I have received have been english. I haven't had a problem with upgrades.

If you are buying from other resellers located locally you are just paying for another link in the supply chain for the same product.

I would agree with you that there are some very dodgy sellers on most online sales channels. That is why now I will only deal with a very select few Aliexpress retailers. I also find I can get the latest model product for the same price as one that is two years old if I purchase from a local supplier.

The links I have put on here are for companies I have personally purchased from. Hikvision offer a good product. The risk to you I would say is very low for a good dollar saving.

Stephen Drake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMG_0531.JPG I haven't had a problem with any of the 4mp cameras. All of them took firmware updates correctly. I did buy one from B&H photo. Apparently they are an authorized dealer. So far that's been my least favorite camera though. Picture sucks and night vision is worse.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 19949 I haven't had a problem with any of the 4mp cameras. All of them took firmware updates correctly. I did buy one from B&H photo. Apparently they are an authorized dealer. So far that's been my least favorite camera though. Picture sucks and night vision is worse.
The daytime image will be virtually the same as a 4mp camera...nighttime sux because of weak IR and or improper installation leading to ir reflection...

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 19949 I haven't had a problem with any of the 4mp cameras. All of them took firmware updates correctly. I did buy one from B&H photo. Apparently they are an authorized dealer. So far that's been my least favorite camera though. Picture sucks and night vision is worse.
In a new thread. Could you post a photo of both daytime and night time images. I might have a easy fix for the problem.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any brand of camera that is improperly installed or has the incorrect specification for the enviroment it is being installed in will perform poorly.
From personal experance, their is a noticeable difference between Hikvision 4mp and 8mp cameras.

Did you watch the video of the review / demo for the DS-2CD2385FWD-I that I posted a link to above?

What did you think?

From the photos that you have post in other threads here. If it were me I would be installing a 2385 on the front of your garage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From personal experance, their is a noticeable difference between Hikvision 4mp and 8mp cameras.

Did you watch the video of the review / demo for the DS-2CD2385FWD-I that I posted a link to above?

What did you think?

From the photos that you have post in other threads here. If it were me I would be installing a 2385 on the front of your garage.
It is important to note that the video is misleading when it comes to night vision (and personally i think its deliberate)...The scene contains a light gray concrete floor which reflects IR..the vegetation is also very close to the camera...put that camera over a black asphalt driveway and that mediocre night vision will be poor.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is important to note that the video is misleading when it comes to night vision (and personally i think its deliberate)...The scene contains a light gray concrete floor which reflects IR..the vegetation is also very close to the camera...put that camera over a black asphalt driveway and that mediocre night vision will be poor.
Hey Fenderman, I don't think the video is misleading in anyway and would consider it a very fair representation of the 2385 performance. I get a very simlar video and pictures out of my 2385 and I have an asphalt driveway.

I also note Stephen has a concrete driveway with exterior lighting (if needed).

Have you got a 2385 or is this just a gut feeling?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fenderman, I don't think the video is misleading in anyway and would consider it a very fair representation of the 2385 performance. I get a very simlar video and pictures out of my 2385 and I have an asphalt driveway.

I also note Stephen has a concrete driveway with exterior lighting (if needed).

Have you got a 2385 or is this just a gut feeling?
I dont have the camera...there is no way you have similar performance with that camera (and it should be noted that the night performance is mediocre at best) unless you are adding additional ir or lighting or you have your car near the cam, could be many reasons but until you post a video its hard to know....my point was to inform others, whether or not he has a concrete driveway is irrelevant....What most folks miss is that these cameras are for surveillance, not making a home movie, so detail is important in all lighting conditions...more importantly the test should be, how much greater range does a 4k camera provide with respect to ID during the day and do I need that distance vs how much worse will it be at night and can i give up that distance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't tried a Hikvision camera since the 3MP series was the hot new thing, but I have an 8 MP Dahua that is really quite poor at night and it probably uses the same or a similar sensor. It does quite nicely during the day and is a definite upgrade from 4MP but only during the day.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
What would be a good test for this camera at night i still have mine on the bench and on order the zoom model of this coming soon
i have tested this in the garage but as you said the car is near and ir reflection off the car,but i cant see the shelves across the room standing next to the camera it can read the boxes too and when zooming in on vms its clear, the only thing i could think is put it into a black
box and see if i get an image