Hikvision Bullet Install

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently got my Hik installed. Thanks goes out to @Lebeter for the post about custom mount solution that I used. I placed the Cat5e into the water tight flex pipe to ensure the sun doesn't damage the cable over time. I will end up painting the house soon and will paint the tube with house colors to match. Should blend in nicely when all is done. :D

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mean to be critical - but in my opinion - the problem with you using the 'liquid tite" conduit is it really attracts attention to it versus just having a lot smaller diameter cable that would have been a lot less noticeable.... sorry, my honest .02 cents

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't mean to be critical - but in my opinion - the problem with you using the 'liquid tite" conduit is it really attracts attention to it versus just having a lot smaller diameter cable that would have been a lot less noticeable.... sorry, my honest .02 cents
I have to agree. Cat5/6 is easy to tuck into crevices and becomes almost invisible.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sure, it looks awful noticeable right now, but I know a lot of things go unnoticed by majority of people once it is painted the same color as the house. Like I said too, the cable is not outdoor rated cable and it was a pain to run through the house to this location. To avoid having to run it again down the road, it went into conduit.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty cool! Any more cameras planned?
I have others already, but I don't think I have anything more planned for outside installs for a good while. I would love to go all out, but I have budget constraints :(

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bueno chob mon!

I'm of the opinion that which is difficult to reach is less likely to be tampered with. Although I understand that it may have been extremely difficult, I would have tried to have the cable enter the house up high, near where the top of the brick meets the house...that looks to me to be approximately 7 or 8 feet high. Pulls such as I'm suggesting can certainly be difficult, but once effected are virtually tamper-proof to all but the most determined individuals. Then again, it wasn't me who would have to get all sweaty and dirty making that pull! :numbness:

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice job! I used some flex on my installation, it's great stuff and a smart way to conceal/protect cables from the elements. I opted for LFMC Liquidtight Flexible Metal Conduit instead of the NM Liquidtight so it's more cut/squash resistant.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could have used outdoor cat5e and tucked it behind that white corner piece. Also, if your leaving what you did as is, see if you can pick up some security screws at least to keep the cover
on the elbow entering the basement closed from any bad guys easily opening it and cutting the wire. Otherwise, looks good.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For not knowing how to bend emt it will work. If you can afford to and have the chance, grab a emt bender and try to learn how to bend emt. It will look much better.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks nice and sturdy. If you're worried about tampering it's worth the trade-off in looks. A little paint will help things blend in if you're concerned about that in the future. I think I would've run the conduit uphill into the junction where it enters the house though. Less chance of water following the conduit downhill and into some present or future crack into the house. Always think "drip loop" when installing things outside. Your install looks to be immune from the following, but also remember that if water gets inside cat 5 it can run a long way through and even UP the wires into your switches, NVR, etc.

gswimfrk

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, I love using silicone. I don't trust those listings saying "rain-tight/weatherproof", add some silicone to every connector for good measure. Also, duct seal in the electrical aisle is super useful for sealing holes behind boxes.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, duct seal in the electrical aisle is super useful for sealing holes behind boxes.
Thanks for the duct seal tip! I did not even know that product existed and was wondering how to seal up the fairly large hole behind my cameras, since I made the hole large enough to fit all the connectors through. Just stopped by my local big box store and picked some up this morning.