Hikvision Camera GUI record and capture not working but shows "success"

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but have been messing with IP cameras for the last 4 years or so. I've been reading a lot of posts and there seems to be a lot of great people involved here so I hoped someone might be able to help me out.

Currently I'm having a problem recording and capturing images through the hikvision web gui using IE. It's quite odd actually. If I click the little capture button, I get the green "captured succeeded" that shows up. But when I go to file location, there is no new file for the capture. The kicker is if I go to the web GUI settings and local configuration and open the browser to select a new location the new folder created during the capture process shows up, but if I use the normal windows explorer the folder does not exist. So it appears it's not actually storing the captured or recorded videos and I can't figure out why.

Has anyone else seen this or had this problem?

Thanks in advance for the support!

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never used this feature, so just tried it. It put files in the folders that are defined on the local configuration page.

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, i'ts actually weird, doing it from chrome works as expected but doing it from IE doesn't work.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It does work - but you need to blame Windows for putting the files into a hard-to-find virtualised location.
The apparent folder as defined in the camera configuration is translated into a virtualised location.
Once I figured this out, I added the location to the Windows 'Library' so I wouldn't have to find it again as it was quite hard.

For example, with the locations defined in the camera 'Picture and Clip Settings' as I:\Users\Alastair\Web\DownloadFiles where I: is my Windows folder - yours is probably C:
IE places the snapshot here: I:\Users\Alastair\Local Settings\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\I\Users\Alastair\Web
Go figure ...

techoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks alastairstevenson!
So Mine still does not show up there so that got me looking deeper into it. This is what I found out:

For Windows Vista and 7 they'll be located here:
C:\Users\<WinUN>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\<WinUN>\Web (assuming the folders in the camera GUI are still set to the default locations)

For Windows 8 and 8.1 they'll be located here:
C:\Users\<WinUN>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\<WinUN>\Web (assuming the folders in the camera GUI are still set to the default locations)

To see it in the explorer window of Win8, not only do you have to check "Show hidden files & folders" option in the Folder Options, but also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files/folders" option.
So either you have to type/paste the entire directory address manually or make the changes to the Folder Options.

Eric Coll

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for figuring that out. Note that if you change the configuration in the GUI where the files are stored, they show up in the directory you specify... in the "virtualized" branch of the file tree. Weird. Thanks for the tip on adding location to library as well.

Note: since they are in the Temporary Internet Files folder, they will be erased if you "clear your cache". Therefore, if there are any important ones, copy them to a real folder...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Add the IP address to 'Trusted Sites' and IE will store the files in the configured location instead of the virtualised configured location.

Eric Coll

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm. Tried "add the IP address to 'Trusted Sites'" but files still storing in the virtualized directory... plus gives a certificate error since trusted sites require https://. In any case, no worries, now that I know where the files are actually being stored.

Y-it-Earp

n3wb
Reaction score
Same happens here did you end up figuring how to store it locally?

M0RK2000

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently had this problem and when I looked it up I found out some solutions that fixed it for me. I hope it helps.

1631291627004.png

In general, you have to add your cam in your trusted websites. When you change these options, you have to refresh the internet explorer. Sometimes if it doesn't take effect, try to close IE and open it again. If still does not help, try to reboot the cameras. You can reboot them remotely in "maintenance" tab.

You can find the location where captures will be installed in "Configuration" tab in "local" section. Sometime they will be stored in:
C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\%Username%\Web

All of these settings can be different depend on what type or model of the cameras you have or how does the camera webserver look like.

All in all, try to look for the extensions or web components that you might need to install from the camera's official website or ask from their support team. But, in most cases, you add the camera IP address to your trusted websites and run IE as an admin then you should have successful captures and records.

If you are not able to play some records, you might need to use a different app which in most cases VLC player will be good or any video player app that your camera's official support may suggest.