Hikvision cameras too old for SADP?

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm moving a set of old cameras to a new NVR. It's a mix of many different models and I've so far successfully just connected the cameras to the new switch, found them in SADP and then reconfigured them.
I have now, however, ended up with four cameras that I can't reach via SADP. From the looks of them they seem older, but I can't easily access them physically. I haven't got access to the old NVR either, for now.

What would be the smartest way to address these four cameras and reconfigure them for the new NVR?
My only guess is that their firmware is so old that SADP can't find them. Will it help if I struggle my way up to them and hit the hard-reset button? I don't know the specific model of the old NVR som I'm unsure if it is able to configure the cameras
The new NVR is not from Hikvision but that haven't been a problem for any of the others. I have successfully connected them through ONVIF.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

I assume the following:

The old cameras are POE,
are using the same subnet as they ones that you could find on SADP
are connected via the same switch and
you are able to ping each camera with a response.

If so, then you may need to reset it as very last resort but it doesnt mean that it will solve your problem.

What is the make/model of the new nvr?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a mix of many different models
ended up with four cameras that I can't reach via SADP
My only guess is that their firmware is so old that SADP can't find them
SADP is Hikvision-specific.
Could it be that those cameras are not Hikvsion models?

I have successfully connected them through ONVIF.
On the assumption that the cameras are not connected to NVR PoE ports on the new NVR, and were not either on the old NVR, they will be connected to your LAN via the switch you mentioned.
And if the cameras are ONVIF compliant, ONVIF Device Manager will find them automatically.

Give ODM some valid logon credentials, and it should show you lots of useful info about the cameras.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
I assume the following:

The old cameras are POE,
are using the same subnet as they ones that you could find on SADP
are connected via the same switch and
you are able to ping each camera with a response.
You are mostly correct. I cannot, however, ping the four troublesome cameras because i don't know their IP. I tried running an Nmap scan on the subnet I expected to find them on (192.168.0.x) but with no luck.

What is the make/model of the new nvr?
It's a Vivotek ND9424P
But the problem has not been concerning the NVR as such. I have successfully been adding 10 other Hikvision cameras to it that I did find through SADP tool.

Do you think there's a chance for me to find them in SADP after a hard-reset or will it be the same?

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
SADP is Hikvision-specific.
Could it be that those cameras are not Hikvsion models?

On the assumption that the cameras are not connected to NVR PoE ports on the new NVR, and were not either on the old NVR, they will be connected to your LAN via the switch you mentioned.
And if the cameras are ONVIF compliant, ONVIF Device Manager will find them automatically.

Give ODM some valid logon credentials, and it should show you lots of useful info about the cameras.
It COULD be that they're not Hikvision but I don't think so. They're from a company that sells Hikvision OEM product (custom stickers and a skin on top of Hikvision firmware). But since I haven't yet had physical access to them I don't know for sure.

The cameras were all connected to a PoE-switch on the same network as the new NVR (old NVR was disconnected). I just connected my laptop to the same network and ran SADP-tool. Successfully found 10 of the cameras but four remain.

ODM is a good hint! I will try that and see if it sees more than the SADP tool did

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

From what you have said, I think that the old cameras used the internal DHCP of the old HikVision NVR.

I use a tool called Advanced IP Scanner - Download Free Network Scanner. or Wireshark on a Windows machine, Use the subnet of the cameras that are working (old subnet that was on the Hik NVR)

I am not sure that if you default the camera, it could solve your problem, I would do that on one camera and as a last resort.

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!
I managed to find the IP-addresses of the four cameras through the old NVR and log in to them. It seems they were not Hikvision!
Their webpage didn't disclose much information about the brand or model number, but by googling the firmware version I discovered that they were some old AVS-cameras.
Another google search told me that the RTSP-stream of AVS cameras are in the format rtsp:/xx.xx.xx.xx:554/mjpeg
So now I have successfully added these four cameras to the new NVR via their RTSP-feed