Hikvision cameras WDR

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way to check whether a Hikvision camera has 120dB WDR or DWDR without using the model number? Because apparently the specs listed on the website are quite often wrong

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WDR models is where WD appended to the model #. Basically anything new which is 4MP & 2MP that's listed here http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/products_159.html
I'm actually trying to figure it out for the Chinese cameras which would not be listed on that page (or anywhere on the "overseas" hikvision website). Basically, I need to find out if the DS-2CD2x45 cameras have 120dB WDR. I've been getting conflicting information from different sources: the Chinese Hikvision website and some sellers say they have 120dB WDR, while other sellers list DWDR. The reason I'm not sure if WD applies to the Chinese model names is that there are no Chinese cameras with "WD" as far as I can tell, which would mean 120dB does not exist in the Chinese market and I kinda doubt that is the case.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WDR labels Im seeing cconfuse me...What is the difference between WDR, DWDR, "True" WDR?

I see some posts saying it makes things worse...what circumstances would toy not want to use it?

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WDR labels Im seeing cconfuse me...What is the difference between WDR, DWDR, "True" WDR?

I see some posts saying it makes things worse...what circumstances would toy not want to use it?
As I understand it, DWDR is performed as a post-processing step by the processor chip after the image has been captured by the sensor. As with any image processing, you lose something from the image with DWDR (level of detail, noise, day vs. night etc.). The result can be something acceptable or completely unusable depending on the parameters you set, but typically you have to compromise. The Wide Dynamic Range in true 120dB WDR on the other hand is primarily the result of using a higher quality sensor. Obviously, that means better image quality in all scenarios with fewer compromises.

The following video shows the difference (the 4MP is true (120dB) WDR, the 3MP is DWDR):

DWDR looks acceptable in the video because it's daytime, but at night the difference between the two will be ... like day and night.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
i have a 2342, the exact model number is in my signature below along with my firmware version, i cannot speak for everyone but in my experience with this camera and firmware, WDR is not usable. At night with it on it degrades image quality at low settings ( 1,2,3 ) above that the image becomes broken with horizontal lines across the screen, everyone gets different results dependent on model and firmware but as stated from my experience it is not usable

During the day using WDR the image just washes out, it may be because of the cameras position outside which receives many different light changes, it may be the camera itself or even the firmware but whatever the reason i find it has no use or benifit

Last edited by a moderator:

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At night with it on it degrades image quality at low settings ( 1,2,3 ) above that the image becomes broken with horizontal lines across the screen, everyone gets different results dependent on model and firmware but as stated from my experience it is not usable

During the day using WDR the image just washes out, it may be because of the cameras position outside which receives many different light changes, it may be the camera itself or even the firmware but whatever the reason i find it has no use or benifit
Can you please show examples of these problems with true 120dB WDR?

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
didnt have chance to switch wdr on last night so tried this evening, no matter what setting i put the camera in day/night, exposure wdr levels i could not get the banding i had previously... which was before the NVR firmware update ??

I still do not use WDR as i find it does not improve the image in my situation, there is also a bug in the WDR slider control so when moving the slider for levels WDR does not change unless you switch it off and back on again, then and only then does WDR start to work but if you want to adjust it, you have to move the slider to your desired level, switch OFF WDR and then back on ... overall WDR for me is pointless and unusable

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No Alastair, thats why i didnt chip in on that thread, mine were pretty obviously software induced by switching on WDR at the top of the image the lines were black and white and obscured anything behind them, infact they were so bad i thought i could damage the camera so i dont usually touch WDR

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No Alastair, thats why i didnt chip in on that thread, mine were pretty obviously software induced by switching on WDR at the top of the image the lines were black and white and obscured anything behind them, infact they were so bad i thought i could damage the camera so i dont usually touch WDR
One of the issues with Digital WDR is that it is implemented in software and therefore is prone to bugs and artifacts. I'm pretty sure that 120dB cameras are designed with a different sensor and they add DWDR on top. So even if you turn off WDR you're still taking advantage of the sensor's inherent higher dynamic range and you're getting better night image quality than you would with DWDR cameras. The different sensor is actually what interests me in 120dB WDR cameras.