Hikvision CCTV consuming a lot of data

afmb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all... Sorry if this question was asked before. I tried searching but couldn't find any info regarding it.

So I have 2 hikvision DVRs set up at the same time and being viewed remotely. Strangely the data consumption (within 2 weeks++) for one of it is 11GB while the other one is only around 2 GB. I tried checking the settings if there are any difference between those two. The only thing I could find was the access type in one of it is set as cloud P2P while the other one set as 'hik-connect'.

For the DVR with cloud P2P, the NIC type is set as 1000M full-dup while for the 'hik-connect' DVR the NIC type was set as self adaptive 10/100/1000...

Could it be these settings that are causing the high data consumption in one of the DVRs?

Thank you so much!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Need more information. Where and how are you measuring this "data consumption"? Are you saying the DVRs are uploading to the internet or downloading?

afmb

n3wb
Reaction score
Need more information. Where and how are you measuring this "data consumption"? Are you saying the DVRs are uploading to the internet or downloading?
Hi Biggen,

I have the apps from the service provider which shows how much broadband is being used in a billing cycle. That's how I checked the daily data usage for both DVR broadband connections. Just to add, the broadband connections are used solely for the CCTV. There are no other devices connected via LAN/wifi for both connections.

Thank you!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So are the DVRs pulling cameras over the internet for recordings? Or are the cameras local to the DVRs?

I'm trying to understand if its sending or receiving data usage that you are concerned about. Are you viewing your DVRs from a remote location (e.g. over the internet) frequently?

afmb

n3wb
Reaction score
So are the DVRs pulling cameras over the internet for recordings? Or are the cameras local to the DVRs?

I'm trying to understand if its sending or receiving data usage that you are concerned about. Are you viewing your DVRs from a remote location (e.g. over the internet) frequently?
Hi Biggen,

The cameras are local to the DVR. And I'm using hikvision apps to view the DVRs remotely, over the internet. So I guess it's sending data? Sorry I'm not a tech savvy person. Thanks so much for your help!