Hikvision chinese firmware

Karel

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two hikvision mini ptz cameras in the r7 series type DS-2DE3204W-DE ; one genuine EN version and one CH.
I do not mind the chinese gui on the CH one because it is running the same firmware as the EN one. And placing the right parameters in the right boxes is not actually very hard if you have the two side by side. Until yesterday .....

I had to upgrade firmware because of serious activation loss and stability issues in both cameras. This worked fine for the EN camera which is now on firmware v5.5.0 build 170724. Stability issues have disappeared.
I would like to get to the same firmware version for my CH camera.

So I am looking for a chinese version of the v5.5.0 revision for the r7 platform. To avoid risk of bricking it, I do not want or need to hack the camera or the firmware in order to have an English GUI.
I have of course tried the Chinese support site of Hikvision, but I cannot locate the right file for download since I cannot actually read Chinese and the login process is fairly involved.
I am hoping that one of the forum members has the file and would be willing to share it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not very helpful - but the Hikvision CN site doesn't seem to publish firmware for that camera : 海康威视是以视频为核心的物联网解决方案提供商
I had to upgrade firmware because of serious activation loss and stability issues in both cameras.
I'd speculate that there is some port forwarding and the cameras have been amongst the huge numbers being messed with via the Hikvision 'backdoor' high-severity vulnerability.
If so - you could probably stabilise your CN camera by preventing inbound access from the internet.
If you haven't already done so - check that UPnP isn't enabled on your router, and also on the cameras.
This will open ports without you being aware of it.
Check if any ports are open with ShieldsUp! (scan all ports) : GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  

Karel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, that is very helpful.
Odd that they are not posting firmware for R7 cameras, isn't it?

I have turned upnp off and it does appear to help ...

Karel

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t check shieldsup before closing down UPnP. I took your word for it...

I did it in two stages though: first I turned off upnp in the CH camera, it was stable for 24 hrs. Then lost activation again. That was an improvement. Then I turned off upnp in the router and things have been quiet for 48 hrs now.

It certainly appears that your diagnose was right. Fingers crossed, that this is a complete solution.

Shieldsup does not find any unexpected open ports now.

Karel

n3wb
Reaction score
A whole week without problems!

It seems in my case that turning off UPnP to the cameras in the router (‘independent port forwarding’ for Fritzbox owners - UPnP for other devices is still on) does the trick. Software upgrade for my EU camera may have helped, but I can’t be sure of that.