Hikvision custom Firmware

xmodpt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to you all

I have an Hikvision DS-7216HGHI-SH / A and i would like to add a feature to the firmware like VNC for example.

I has able to "slpit" the firmware using Hikvision_firmware_tool" and got allot of files and folders and here is where i get stuck.

I am unable to open any LZMA file as it says that the file is not recognized (yes i have tried with other models also).

One other thing i would like to do is to change the SPLASH screen to a custom one made by me. if i can't get in to the LZMA file... can't get the splash screen in.

Anyone knows a way to do one or both ?

PS - SSH/Telnet are not available on the newer firmware's (Europe)

Thank you all

Xmodpt

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hikvision started encrypting files

To decrypt the files do this on the NVR where you have shell access:
/bin/ded <encrypted_file> <decrypted_file> -d

If you modify any files, you will need to update new_10.bin as it contains MD5 checksums.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@montecrypto
Might be best not highlighting that - Hikvision pay attention to this forum, and others, and on multiple occasions have introduced further changes in reaction to what seems to get out in public.
That's why you don't see much of that nature out here.

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@montecrypto
Might be best not highlighting that - Hikvision pay attention to this forum, and others, and on multiple occasions have introduced further changes in reaction to what seems to get out in public. That's why you don't see much of that nature out here.
Splendid! I hope they read this then: HIKVision -- please stop bloating the kernel with unnecessary crypto IOCTLs. Your firmware is becoming hackier and less stable with each new release. A much wiser use for your resources would be fixing real security issues (such as buffer overflows), fixing typos, and adding new features.

And please kill the darn psh. You are complicating your own support processes with it. Now instead of typing a shell command directly, your users will have to call you, you will have to ask them to enter a hidden psh command "zhimakaimen", they will have to read back a base64 seed and type in a response you provide. That takes 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds. Why the masochistic tendencies??? Regular users could not care less about PSH, but it drives your advanced community of users nuts. Those advanced users are your best allies, they glorify and popularize your products and they can easily turn around and bury it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You clearly have not understood the dynamics of Hikvision's region-locking sales/marketing/distributor support strategy vs on-line resellers that drives all this protection.

montecrypto

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See my pm. They will kill their business if they continue doing it this way.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your PM had nothing from you - just the copy of what I had sent.

Plenty of folk on here do agree that the region-blocking that Hikvision do is self-defeating.
It's believed to be due to pressure from 'authorised distributors' to help them maintain their big margins, against the low-cost on-line resellers who provide the same products for end users at much more realistic prices.
But it's all sales whichever channel it goes down.
The resellers don't take long to get round the changes that get introduced - they have some smart 'engineers' who are in it for profit.
So is it a good thing to do - not really. Does it harm their brand reputation - yes it does. Hopefully someone up there will realise that and reverse the strategy.

xmodpt

n3wb
Reaction score
hello m8

on this box i don't have shell access and on the firmware, telnet/ssh option is not avaliable anywere and if you try to connect to it ... nothing.
i have scanned the dvr for open ports and the only ones are 80 + 8000 + 554 + 443

TY

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
psh='Busybox Protect Shell' - a shell with an apparently large but in practice very limited command set such that you can't mess with the device internals in any useful way.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I highly doubt your NVR is using anything other than the FrameBuffer for display.. so the chances of getting say VNC working is small to non existant.. there are some framebuffer vnc servers but in my experience they dont work well.. FB outputs dont like sharing with other processes.

if you wanted this level of control over your NVR and the software it runs, shoulda gone with something like BlueCherry or BluIris on a normal PC

Splash Screen? are you re-branding and reselling hardware? why spend any effort on something ideally you'll never see..

Last edited by a moderator:

xmodpt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello nayr

Thank you for the reply.

In regards to vnc, thank you for the heads-up. It would be great if it would. Work.

In regards to the splash screen... Not at all. I don't want to change anything. I just had a client that asked if we somehow could make the logo smaller becauae his nvr is connected to a 60" lcd.

Anyway thank you all for the advices.

Xmodpt

Reme

n3wb
Reaction score
AwAAALytKGk5Tji1fh8=
Password: [InitAFPar] devType unknown
Any suggestion?

dallasryan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to you all

I have an Hikvision DS-7216HGHI-SH / A and i would like to add a feature to the firmware like VNC for example.

I has able to "slpit" the firmware using Hikvision_firmware_tool" and got allot of files and folders and here is where i get stuck.

I am unable to open any LZMA file as it says that the file is not recognized (yes i have tried with other models also).

One other thing i would like to do is to change the SPLASH screen to a custom one made by me. if i can't get in to the LZMA file... can't get the splash screen in.

Anyone knows a way to do one or both ?

PS - SSH/Telnet are not available on the newer firmware's (Europe)

Thank you all

Xmodpt

Has anyone had any luck building firmware for older Dahua or Hikvision cameras? I would be interested in learning how to build a firmware that updates older systems to HTML5. I don't know where to start, but I have nothing but time on my hands right now...

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck building firmware for older Dahua or Hikvision cameras? I would be interested in learning how to build a firmware that updates older systems to HTML5. I don't know where to start, but I have nothing but time on my hands right now...
What exactly models of equipment and installed firmware are we talking about?

dallasryan

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, in this case, I have a camera I just picked up on eBay that does not support HTML5 and I wanted to see if I could upgrade it. It is a HD46F-5MP by DiySecurityCameraWorld but I suspect it is just a rebranded cam.

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok.
Make screenshot 1st from web menu with firmware version.
Try to get dump software or hardware.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im subbing to this thread. Most of my clients use Macs and they prefer to view their system via a web browser. Used to work until recent firmware updates, therefore, I may need to modify the firmware. Would be nice to use my company logo as well

Last edited: