Hikvision doorbell cam causing chime to buzz

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed a Hikvision Doorbell cam A few days ago. It's a nice unit and a straight forward installation. I noticed however that my chime now has a minor buzz. I've read that this can be the case with all Doorbell cams, something about power draw. Some like ring have a power kit to fix it. Has anybody else experienced this and have a recommendation on how to fix it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it buzzing constantly, even when nobody has just pushed the button? That is a well-known problem with speakers in general, often caused by a ground loop. I don't really understand it though so I can't suggest a solution. Indeed I am only guessing at the cause.

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it buzzing constantly, even when nobody has just pushed the button? That is a well-known problem with speakers in general, often caused by a ground loop. I don't really understand it though so I can't suggest a solution. Indeed I am only guessing at the cause.
It's a constant buzzing(similar in sound to a ground loop) because a very slight voltage is still getting through the electronic switch on the doorbell, this is causing it to vibrate very slightly. It seems some of these other video doorbells can have this same problem, but they have offered up fixes for them. None such that I can find for the hikvision unit. The others have figured out a way to shunt the couple volts away from the chime until the switch is pressed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a constant buzzing(similar in sound to a ground loop) because a very slight voltage is still getting through the electronic switch on the doorbell, this is causing it to vibrate very slightly. It seems some of these other video doorbells can have this same problem, but they have offered up fixes for them. None such that I can find for the hikvision unit. The others have figured out a way to shunt the couple volts away from the chime until the switch is pressed.
There are two types of doorbell, the mechanical solenoid type ones and digital chimes with a circuit board and speaker. The digital one's usually require a diode added to a doorbell camera.

You could swap for another mechanical doorbell or a digital one, you could try changing out the transformer (possibly one with slightly lower or slightly higher voltage). You could try adding a tiny neon light across the bell terminals You might also be able to use a relay to stop the buzz.

Last edited:

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tangent, I'm going to try a new transformer with higher VA and see if that fixes the problem, if not I'll think about other options.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Tangent, I'm going to try a new transformer with higher VA and see if that fixes the problem, if not I'll think about other options.
Higher VA (watts effectively) shouldn't matter. The problem is effectively the amount of current that flows through the doorbell cam.

Last edited:

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You haven’t told us yet what type of chime it is. Is it a mechanical type with a coil, or an electronic type? The electronic type are NOT compatible. The wattage of your transformer won’t change anything. However, what is the voltage of your transformer? Is it within the range supported by the doorbell?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what's happening:
upload_2018-1-19_21-22-3.png

The doorbell button is no longer an on / off switch. A certain amount of current is flowing through the solenoid because of the load imposed by the doorbell camera.

Resistor is the power used by the door bell camera.

Edited for clarity

Attachments

Last edited:

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a mechanical chime, with a 16v transformer, So Tangent, your drawing shows a resistor across the camera/doorbell terminals. The doorbell came with a resistor, 1/2w 100k I think.... I'd have to check the box to confirm the value. But in the install guide it said to use as a load it in place of a chime. So are you saying I should put the resistor across the terminals of the doorbell (R1)? Or would a higher voltage transformer, i.e. 24v solve the problem....or is it just going to leak a slight amo power to the chime?

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like you said, the resistor that was supplied is used in place of a chime. Not both. You have the correct voltage transformer, and the correct type of chime. The resistor in the diagram could possibly represent the doorbell camera it’s self. It leaks power through the circuit to power it’s self. It’s the same way a lit light switch works. Which is why a mechanical chime is necessary and not an electronic type. If I were in your position, I would try replacing the chime. Your chime doesn’t like the small amount of power going through it. They are cheap and easy to replace

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, I believe that the required voltage range of the camera is 14-18V. So do not get a 24V transformer!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a mechanical chime, with a 16v transformer, So Tangent, your drawing shows a resistor across the camera/doorbell terminals. The doorbell came with a resistor, 1/2w 100k I think.... I'd have to check the box to confirm the value. But in the install guide it said to use as a load it in place of a chime. So are you saying I should put the resistor across the terminals of the doorbell (R1)? Or would a higher voltage transformer, i.e. 24v solve the problem....or is it just going to leak a slight amo power to the chime?
No. Sorry I was trying to show that the doorbell cam acts like a switch and resistor in parallel. Put another way it's a 'switch' with some leakage current. The resistor in my drawing represents the power consumed by the doorbell camera. This current is causing the noise.

hank rizzo

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a solution to the constant humm or buzz coming out of the bell, I disconnected the doorbell camera, I didn't know if it was safe to let that bell sit there and buzz 24-7

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately I never found one. My bell has been buzzing slightly for the last year. Whenever I hear it I’m reminded I need to figure something out, but I think I’ve just gotten used to the buzz. The bell is still alive and kicking though. If anybody else has a fix please post it here.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the resistor provided is supposed to be installed across the wired terminals at the bell. Did you try that?

skylab001

n3wb
Reaction score
The manual says the resistor is only used with a digital chime. I have a mechanical one. I do think I tried it and it didn’t have any affect. I’m just surprised more people haven’t had this problem and somebody hasn’t figured it out, or maybe it’s that not many are using this doorbell cam?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The manual says the resistor is only used with a digital chime. I have a mechanical one. I do think I tried it and it didn’t have any affect. I’m just surprised more people haven’t had this problem and somebody hasn’t figured it out, or maybe it’s that not many are using this doorbell cam?
I visit a number of forums and can assure you it's not just this unit. Doesn't seem to be any better solution(s) though, at least from what I've seen.

It depends on the specific bell/chime too. The less power it takes to operate the bell/chime, the more prone it is to exhibit an issue.

What value resistor did you use/get?

Error418

n3wb
Reaction score
If it helps, I have had this doorbell working perfectly for around six months now without any buzzing using a 16V transformer and this Freidland D117 mechanical chime:
Door Bell - 2 Note Ding Dong Chime - D117 - Made by Friedland 705353375194 | eBay

IIRC Lots of documentation for the chime I read stated its 8V but as per the photos on the ebay link, they can cope with 8-16VAC or 6VDC (the sum of four 1.5v cells)

Kind Regards

Martin

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had this exact same problem with a Hikvision OEM (Nellys Security branded) WiFi doorbell. I ended up going thru 3 different mechanical chimes as well as 2 16v power supplies.. still same buzzing humming problem... Said screw it, upgraded to a 24v doorbell chime, and the problem instantly went away. Also my doorbell would "crash" multiple times a night whenever the NightVision IR would turn on and off. Total pain in the butt... so upgrade your power supply to 24v and you should be golden