HIKVISION downgrade from 5.4

blabladk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I accidently upgrade min hikvision 2132 to version 5.4 got the files mixed together

Is it in any way possible to downgrade from 5.4 to an earlyer version.

according to Hikvision its not possible, but hopefully someone can tell me its possible to do that and how to do that

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you try TFTP?

On same cameras that should work, on others it won't. Depends on the model and when it was made.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
All my cameras are genuine world region units, so not hacked.

... edit to remove technical detail because apparently we're all terrified that someone from Hikvision might learn from it and make things harder. Apparently posting details on how to actually achieve things is frowned upon because we all hold our "hard won" technical knowledge close to our chests so we can look smarter when we say "yes you can do it, but I'm not going to tell you how" ... Best of luck with that.

Oh look. We can downgrade from 5.4.0 back to 5.2.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Brad,
I'm in same case than blabladk with my DS-2CD2632F-IS... When you say we can downgrade, how to do that because with TFTP, camera remained still blocked on reboot ...

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why you want to downgrade? Is it ML or CN camera?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh look. We can downgrade from 5.4.0 back to 5.2.0.
Lol! You may have just broken their 'unrollback' method.
What did the serial console show when booting 5.2.5 after having had 5.4.0 running?
I wonder what the equivalent is for the NVR's 'unrollback'?

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Lol! You may have just broken their 'unrollback' method.
What did the serial console show when booting 5.2.5 after having had 5.4.0 running?
I wonder what the equivalent is for the NVR's 'unrollback'?
Yeah, apparently it's a well known hack and my describing how I did it broke some unwritten "boast but don't tell anyone how to do it" code or something..

As for the serial console, it showed exactly the same as it did before upgrading. There was no trace of 5.4. To be sure I backed up all 16 mtd partitions and binary diffed them with the pre-install state. There are a couple of changes in 5 & 6, but they might have gone away if I'd factory defaulted the camera before and after.

I'm sure those clever people who roll firmware can hack copies of 5.4 to make the required changes which will allow downgrading.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on what Brad_C originally posted I plan to put up a 2xx2 firmware that should put the camera back to 5.3.0 bypassing this problem. Should be up later today and full credit to him for finding this solution!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, apparently it's a well known hack and my describing how I did it broke some unwritten "boast but don't tell anyone how to do it" code or something..
There is a bit more of this exposure happening now - I suppose the thinking was that it's best not to give Hikvision too many pointers as to what to change next in their attempts to trip up customers who in reality are just trying to get their quite good products at more reasonable prices.
But maybe that thinking is passing a bit now.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Who wants to test Downgrade for R0 from 5.4.0 to 5.2.3? PM Me. Only original, not Chinesse.

blabladk

n3wb
Reaction score
access error.pngmine are in cn and im not able to connect to the camera language mismatch

Last edited by a moderator:

matyja

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to downgrade R6 series to fimware version 5.3.8?
I tried tftp method with unmodified firmware with no luck...
I have cams (model DS-2CD2142FWD-I with diffrent lens ) from official european distribution.
I am going crazy with firmware v5.4.0... :mad-new:

matyja

n3wb
Reaction score
I suppose the cameras are EU versions. I bought them from official distributor

arkoko

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also interested to downgrade EU R6 version from current 5.4.1 to 5.3.8.