Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I 5.2 Firmware update goes all Chinese, utilities (ftp) removed

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I had begun this inquiry on a thread started by user CBX for another purpose, and he rightly (and kindly, I might add) asked me to start a new thread for this issue. The issue: I purchased a HIkvision DS-2cd2132-I dome camera on Amazon.com, from a vendor that sells on Amazon, but Amazon warehouses the items and ships them. The camera works great daytime, less so at night because it dims the IR (and/or closes the iris) to the point that the scene is not sufficiently illuminated. Also, large parts of the web gui were not functional, not saving changes to various settings, etc. The camera came with firmware 5.1.6. I found out about the Hikvision USA ftp site, and they had a firmware update to 5.2.0. I installed the new firmware.

To my surprise, all the web gui menus are now in Chinese, with no other options! Apparently, this is something that happens to a lot of other Hikvision users.

There are instructions for patching the "davinci" file that involve copying the file off the camera to your PC, patching the file, then copying it back. See here: http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/forum/thread-73.html for one such.

The problem now is that on the camera, it seems that all the goodies that might be used to copy files back and forth in a telnet or ssh session have been removed, such as ftp, rcp, scp, etc. Also, in the web gui, under Storage (translating various Chinese phrases via Google Translate as I do not use Chrome), I am unable to connect to any shared resources on my network, whether the shared resource is on a Linux box (NFS) or a Windows box (CIFS). Everyone else on the network can connect to these resources with no problem.

See further below for prior discussion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I 5.2 Firmware update goes all Chinese, utilities (ftp) remo

There is a thread here with a youtube video on how to fix this issue
Also, you initial problem with the interface was most likely caused by the instation of an older plugin from a different version of the firmware (either hikvision or swann) you need to uninstall the plugins and reinstall...

Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I 5.2 Firmware update goes all Chinese, utilities (ftp) remo

My first post:
I have a DS-2CD2132-I. I made the mistake of "updating" to the 5.2.0 firmware from the USA web site. Of course, all my menus are now in Chinese. As I look through the camera's storage via either telnet or ssh, I note the absolute absence of anything that might allow transfer of a file onto the camera. no scp, no ftp, can't mount it as a nfs share, nothing that I can find. What am I missing? Thanks to any who reply.

Reply by user networkcameracritic:
You can easily transfer files, but I'm afraid to tell you how because you are going to f-up your camera. They put in checksums on the davinci file in 5.2, so if you edit it, put it back it's going to brick your camera. You're best bet is to find a 5.1.0 firmware (U.S. or China, doesn't matter) and load that using TFTP method. Or it's just for occasional use (I rarely watch my cameras from the camera's web interface), then use Chrome and right click and translate to English.

Subsequent back and forth. Me:
Thanks for the info, that is good to know about the checksums. It seems that HIkvision has laid out a lot of traps, and turned very nastily anti-end user. In theory, if one calculates a checksum (md5, sha1 or whatever they are using) on the modified davinci file and replaces the checksum file (that holds the checksum for the davinci file)on the camera with the newly calculated checksum, all should be good. Would require a lot of testing etc.

I am still curious how one can transfer a file onto the camera when ther is no ftp, scp, rcp, etc. Please tell me how to do this.

N:
Yes, would require a lot of experimenting. It's easy to copy files in/out of the camera, just define a share on Windows, then go into Storage and set a CIFS mount to your PC's IP address, username, password, share name and save it (don't format it). Then you'll have that share available in Linux as /mnt/nfs00. So you can use copy, move from Windows or from Linux.

Me:
Thanks for your further reply.

Hmmm... I am still missing something.

Note, all machines/devices on same network. I shared a folder on a windows box, /Users/michael/fshare. On my Linux box, I can mount that share with the command:
mount.cifs -o user=michael //192.168.1.xxx/Users/michael/fshare /home/michael/Desktop/ws
which then asks for the password of michael on the Windows box.
The same command executed in a telnet session on the camera (using /mnt/nfs00 as the directory to mount on) fails with "-sh: mount.cifs: not found
The command executed with just mount (not mount.cifs) fails with "Permission denied" I have all permissions set as loosly as possible.

You also mentioned going through the camera web interface, going into Storage. I see four tabs, I select the one marked "NAS". Yes, oddly enough, this one is in English. I enter,in slot number 1, the IP address, the path, the user name, the password, same as the command line that was successful on my Linux box. I click the button to the right of the password box, which I think is "Test Connection". I get a dialog box with an error message that Google Translate renders as "NAS srver fails to mount a directory, the directory is invalid, the user name or password is incorrect."

Any further feedback will be appreciated. You will probably tell me something I should not have overlooked then I will face-palm.

Thanks.

Me:
BTW, busybox has been greatly stripped down, this is all that is left:

[, [[, ash, awk, bash, cat, chmod, cp, date, dd, df, dmesg, du, echo,
env, false, fdisk, free, fsync, gunzip, gzip, halt, hwclock, ifconfig,
inetd, init, insmod, iostat, kill, linuxrc, ln, login, ls, lsmod,
lzcat, lzma, mdev, mkdir, mkdosfs, mkfs.vfat, mknod, modprobe, mount,
mpstat, mv, nanddump, nandwrite, netstat, ping, ping6, poweroff, ps,
pwd, reboot, rm, rmmod, route, sed, sh, sleep, sync, tail, tar,
telnetd, test, top, touch, true, umount, unlzma, unxz, xz, xzcat, zcat

Nothing here to allow file transfer off the device.

Me:
dmesg shows "CIFS: Mount option noac not supported. Instead set /proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled to 0"

the file is r/o, even for root. I change the permissions to r/w, then cat >/proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled and changed the file to 0. No joy

This is the output of dmesg:

[13757.803745] CIFS: Mount option noac not supported. Instead set /proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled to 0
[13763.608675] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
[13763.609049] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
[13763.656561] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
[13763.656663] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13

Just to make sure, this is firmware 5.2.0

Reaction score

Thank you fenderman, I will look at the video. This is my very first camera, so any prior/older firmware or plugins are unlikely but I will check that out. I think the plugins get installed on the Windows box when you access the camera on the network. The camera asks you to download (is it?) "Webcomponents"

The web gui issues appeared on any box used to view the camera, whether Windows or Linux. I think Webcomponents are Windows only? Text overwriting other text on the Maintenance page, changes to settings not saving on the Image page (translation from Chinese, I don't remember what the original English was). 5.2.0 is a great improvement, I just can't read Chinese.

Reaction score

Part of my problem solved. My difficulty in mounting a Windows share on the camera (camera is the client) was due to not understanding how Windows 8 exposes a share, and how the camera recognizes it. I'll give a detailed walk-through if anyone wants one.

Reaction score

Part of my problem solved. My difficulty in mounting a Windows share on the camera (camera is the client) was due to not understanding how Windows 8 exposes a share, and how the camera recognizes it. I'll give a detailed walk-through if anyone wants one.

LittleBrother, thanks for the link. I will see if that works. I am not sure it will, as the link to the web site in the "TFTP Automatice Update Tool User Manual", namely ftp://hikvisioneurope.com/portal/Technical Materials/Special Tools/ is no longer reachable. There is a site, ftp://ftp.hikvisioneurope.com, but the folder TFTP-Auto-Update is not on there. The manual shows a couple of DLLs such as tftprc_en.dll that do not seem to be available from Hikvision. The dll is available here, which is not a Hikvision site: http://www.zhaodll.com/dll/t/201207/175391.html but Iam not sure this is the right one or if it is safe.

Git

Banned
Reaction score

Just for info, I purchased one of my 2032 bullets From Amazon and picked through the vendors. I found "CCTVOne" selling one and the description said "Hikvision USA original Sealed, color Retail package! Buy with Confidence!"

No problems updating the firmware to the latest version. I also see that "HD Security Store" has "Retail 2YR WARRANTY ENGLISH FIRMWARE VERSION UNLIMITED FIRMWARE FROM USA OR EUROPE. BEWARE OF BROWN BOX HACK OR FAKE OEM" so you just need to be a little picky

can you return it?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Just get CBX to convert the camera to English forever, problem solved.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

LittleBrother, thanks for the link. I will see if that works. I am not sure it will, as the link to the web site in the "TFTP Automatice Update Tool User Manual", namely ftp://hikvisioneurope.com/portal/Technical Materials/Special Tools/ is no longer reachable. There is a site, ftp://ftp.hikvisioneurope.com, but the folder TFTP-Auto-Update is not on there. The manual shows a couple of DLLs such as tftprc_en.dll that do not seem to be available from Hikvision. The dll is available here, which is not a Hikvision site: http://www.zhaodll.com/dll/t/201207/175391.html but Iam not sure this is the right one or if it is safe.
I haven't checked the thread in detail in a few weeks and my memory is trash. However, I kept all the stuff locally, so if you're still unable to find what you need and you think that TFTP of the 5.2 firmware is what you want, i can give you a link later. I have the TFTP utility, the 5.2 firmware that will work on a chinese region cam, and the instructions i've used. PM if you can't find the stuff in the thread :)