Hikvision DS-2CD2342 - No image in Live View

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just picked up a DS-2CD2342WD-I with FW V5.4.1 build 160525 and got it activated using SADP. I was able to access it with a browser at 192.168.1.64, but I'm unable to see anything in the Live View tab. So far I've tried the following:

- Installed the latest WebComponents plug-in

- Tried reducing the resolution to 1280*720p, tried Live view with main stream as well as the sub stream

- Tried all the settings under Local.Live View Parameters.Protocol

- Restored all parameters to default settings, rebooted

- Tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome

So far, all I see is a blank screen with Live View. I know my setup is good, since I have several other Hikvision NVR and IP cams installed that are working perfectly.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Installed the latest WebComponents plug-in
The current version is 3.0.6.8
Does this show up in 'Manage add-ons' in IE, and is it 'enabled'?
Current Chrome won't allow NPAPI plugins - unless IEtab is installed.
Definitely IE and not Edge-that-looks-like-IE in Win10? Edge does not allow plugins.

To validate that the camera is generating a video stream, you could check out Live Video using the Windows open-source tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid credentials (top left of the window) and it will find your camera automatically and tell you loads about it that you didn't know.
Also, the RTSP URL at the bottom of the Live Video page could be used in VLC Media Player.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, Alastair.

In Win 7, IE11, I went to Manage Add-ons, and found this:

Name: WebVideoActiveX Control
Publisher: HANGZHOU HIKVISION DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD.
Type: ActiveX Control
Architecture: 32-bit
Version: 3. 0. 6. 1
File date: ‎Tuesday, ‎May ‎17, ‎2016, ‏‎3:47 PM
Date last accessed: ‎Today, ‎March ‎01, ‎2017, ‏‎8 hours ago
Class ID: {E7EF736D-B4E6-4A5A-BA94-732D71107808}
Use count: 223
Block count: 21
File: WebVideoActiveX.ocx
Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Web Components

How do I get 3.0.6.8?

Also, in Live View, with no image showing, if I hit the Capture or Start Recording icon, I get a failure.

Will try out the rest of your suggestions later. Have to go to work :(

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still no image in Live View. Tried the following:
1. WebComponents 3.0.6.8
2. IE, adding camera to Trusted Sites, also tried Compatibility View

ONVIF Device Manager - wow, what a great tool, Thanks Alastair!
1. Live video -> NO SIGNAL
2. Video streaming -> NO SIGNAL

Can I conclude that I have a defective unit?

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Finally received a replacement DS-2CD2342WD-I with FW V5.4.3 build 160902. Live View works over a web browser, so finally have a functioning camera:)

My next challenge is when I connected it to my DS-7608NI-SE/8P, the NVR will not recognize the DS-2CD2342 via Plug and Play. Using SADP, I changed the IP to 192.168.254.2 to match the address of the PoE port the camera was plugged into. Also changed the gateway to 192.168.254.1 as suggested in this post from alastair.

At this point, the NVR is actually showing the Version of the camera's FW, but the Status is still "Offline" in the Camera Management.IP Camera page.

The FW for the DS-7608 is V2.3.10 build 141128, which I had obtained from the US Hikvision site almost 2 years ago. I have a DS-2CD2132 that is working fine on one of the other ports. I'm thinking that the NVR FW is a bit outdated for this newer camera, but I can't find a source for newer FW for the DS-7608.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JaneM

n3wb
Reaction score
I had success with getting live view working in IE after turning our computer's anti-virus off (the latest web components plugin wasn't installing properly). Sadly all the images disappeared once our anti-virus program was enabled. I thought I'd throw that in, incase it helps someone.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
m thinking that the NVR FW is a bit outdated for this newer camera, but I can't find a source for newer FW for the DS-7608.
With the warning that firmware updates can and do have unexpected consequences, there is a selection of newer firmware for the DS-7608NI-SE/8P here :
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

Generally a web GUI update attempt is safer than a tftp updater attempt when there is a risk that the firmware does not properly match the model.