Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I VS Dahua IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE

Brenning

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Wasn't too sure where to post this topic so hope in here is the best. The spec of these two cameras seems pretty much the same apart from the hik can do 20fps @ 8mp whereas the Dahua can only do 15. The other big difference I can see is that the dahua has a built in mic where the hik doesn't. This is a biggie for me as I've been wanting audio for some time, though I appreciate the mic probably isn't the best quality.

What is everyone elses thoughts on how these two cameras compare?

I've not used Dahua firmware before, any of the gurus on here reckon that flashing the hik firmware onto Dahua hardware would work?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why do you want 8mp?

The Audio on a Dahua is very good.

No you can't use firmware on a camera that it wasn't designed for. At worst, it could brick the cam.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am also very interested in the 8MP from the hik and dahua. Yes, I discovered that the dahua is only 15fps as well and the hik can do 20fps. That 5fps makes a difference imho. I don't really need audio, in fact, in the US, recording audio sometimes constitutes violating wiretapping laws. A picture speaks a thousand words anyways.

Do let me know what you decide

Brenning

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Why do I want 8mp? Well I guess why would I want any less, the area around our property is pretty well lit from street lighting so I doubt the darkfighter style cams will offer any benefit. I'm from the UK and I spoke to local authorities about residential CCTV and they said as long as its not pointing directly at someone elses property they aren't bothered what you do. The audio would be highly useful for recording conversations at the front door etc.

A side by side comparison / review would be great, I'm struggling to even find any reviews on the Dahua IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE though

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Why do I want 8mp? Well I guess why would I want any less, the area around our property is pretty well lit from street lighting so I doubt the darkfighter style cams will offer any benefit. I'm from the UK and I spoke to local authorities about residential CCTV and they said as long as its not pointing directly at someone elses property they aren't bothered what you do. The audio would be highly useful for recording conversations at the front door etc.

A side by side comparison / review would be great, I'm struggling to even find any reviews on the Dahua IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE though
That's a brand new cam, no one has stock on it as yet. Let alone any reviews.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There are youtube videos on the Hikvision 2385 and it is quite impressive @ 8MP. What I like about it is that you can choose 4mm or 6mm and even 12mm. I think I only have application for the 4mm and 6mm at home. 4mm for my backyard and 6mm on the side yard, front door, and garage area.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It would be very useful to know what sensors they use exactly. I guess it's a Sony IMX. But which model exactly?

Inviato dal mio LG-H850 utilizzando Tapatalk

Brenning

n3wb
Reaction score
So I went and ordered a 4mm DS-2CD2385FWD-I turret. It arrived the other day and I initially set it up pointing out of a window to test / compare (which admittedly isn't the best test). I'm comparing against my 2CD-2032-I's (6mm) which are externally mounted, 1 is directly above the window I'm testing from so gives a very similar view. Overall there is a marginal improvement in readability of reg plates / street signs on the DS-2CD2385FWD-I, of which you also have to factor in the lens size difference (4mm vs 6mm). The aspect ratio is different on the cameras with the DS-2CD2385FWD-I offering a wider angle (ignoring lens size). Storage (file size) is significantly improved on the DS-2CD2385FWD-I with 64GB offering around 15 days of footage using H265+, vs the circa 48 hours from 128GB on the 2CD-2032-Is (h264). So far though I've not been blown away by the difference in quality like I was when I moved from analog cameras to the 2CD-2032-I's, but my mind might change once I have this camera externally mounted later today. Here's some quick pics comparing the unit sizes between the two models, my 2CD-2032-I is black as I sprayed it that colour. The DS-2CD2385FWD-I is in my opinion quite a large camera vs the bullet however most of that size is taken up by the turret housing and the ball the iris / electronics sit in is actually quite small if removed:
IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3399.JPG

I may try a Dahua IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE since it offers built in audio too which is something I've been wanting for quite a while.