Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW - lowers resolution by itself?

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a weird problem with a recently purchased Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW

Once a few hours / days, it changes the recording resolution from 4MP to something like 640x480 or even lower...see the attached images.

I can't figure out what triggers this, and I can't revert it back unless i do a factory reset and load the configurations file again.

After this...it's obedient again, I can change resolutions back and forth, switch between streams, etc. But once it does it again after a few hours / days...I cannot switch back to a better quality video until I do the factory reset.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't figure out what triggers this, and I can't revert it back unless i do a factory reset and load the configurations file again.
What version of firmware is on it?
Is it accessible from the internet?
Is UPnP enabled on your router?
Is UPnP enabled on the camera?
Have you configured any port forwarding rules on your router?

These questions aimed at figuring if intrusion from the internet could be the cause of the problem.

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
What version of firmware is on it?
Is it accessible from the internet?
Is UPnP enabled on your router?
Is UPnP enabled on the camera?
Have you configured any port forwarding rules on your router?

These questions aimed at figuring if intrusion from the internet could be the cause of the problem.
In the Hik-Connect app this is the version...also shows no updates available.

The camera is accesible via internet using the Hik-Connect app, or using Synology's DS Cam to access the recordings (the camera stores video on a Synology DS214)

UPnP is enabled on the router...and I am pretty sure also on the camera, since I haven't manually created any port forwarding rules.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
UPnP is enabled on the router...and I am pretty sure also on the camera, since I haven't manually created any port forwarding rules.
In which case it would be prudent to determine what inbound access from the internet is available, using for example the full port scan from ShieldsUp! : GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  
UPnP is best turned off all round - you don't have any control over what it does to your firewall settings.

Daaaaan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

I'll try creating manual port forwarding rules, maybe even change the default port for accesing the camera...see what happens.