Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD Reboot failed at night

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
I´ve been using this cam for nearly 2 years. With one of the last firmware updates (currently runs with fw v5.5.5) this cam runs into a boot loop whenever there is a cold boot at night. Webinterface is displayed, but no login prompt is available. Synology SW marks this cam as down. As this night time mode is switched to day time mode (e.g. in the morning) everything is ok again. I´ve already checked all possible settings in the webinterface and reset it to default as well. Still no change. Any useful hints ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I´ve been using this cam for nearly 2 years. With one of the last firmware updates (currently runs with fw v5.5.5) this cam runs into a boot loop whenever there is a cold boot at night. Webinterface is displayed, but no login prompt is available. Synology SW marks this cam as down. As this night time mode is switched to day time mode (e.g. in the morning) everything is ok again. I´ve already checked all possible settings in the webinterface and reset it to default as well. Still no change. Any useful hints ?
This points to a power issue as there is insufficient power when the ir is on. How are your powering this camera? what type of cable?

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
This cam is directly connected to a power supply, so no POE. I´ve already tested it with a onother power supply. So to be honest I doubt that this could be the root cause of this issue. I´ve figured out that I can outsmart the cam´s behaviour with a smal torch light at the time it reboots again (throw the lights for approx. 30sec on the cam) . After it has temporarily switched off its IR lights everything is ok again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This cam is directly connected to a power supply, so no POE. I´ve already tested it with a onother power supply. So to be honest I doubt that this could be the root cause of this issue. I´ve figured out that I can outsmart the cam´s behaviour with a smal torch light at the time it reboots again (throw the lights for approx. 30sec on the cam) . After it has temporarily switched off its IR lights everything is ok again.
how is it connected to the power supply? how long is the run from the power supply to the camera. This is 100 percent a power issue. Try poe, it will work.

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
My current transformer has 1A/12V
Do you think I should upgrade to at least 2A ?

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess it is 1m to the connector of the cam, which is additionally approx. 0,5m long.

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a short update on this issue:
I´ve purchased another more powerful transformer in the meantime. Unfortunately I didn´t get better. Still these annoying reboots at nighttime.
Eventually I was successful with a config change: The shutter time was set to 1/12 sec which apparently was wrong for video recordings at 20 fps. So setting this to 1/25 helped to solved this issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a short update on this issue:
I´ve purchased another more powerful transformer in the meantime. Unfortunately I didn´t get better. Still these annoying reboots at nighttime.
Eventually I was successful with a config change: The shutter time was set to 1/12 sec which apparently was wrong for video recordings at 20 fps. So setting this to 1/25 helped to solved this issue.
This would not put the camera in bootloop at night...it's unrelated..

schk

n3wb
Reaction score
I´ve checked the cam´s power consumption at different light conditions, so I can state that this wasn´t a problem at all. With the change of the shutter time it worked again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I´ve checked the cam´s power consumption at different light conditions, so I can state that this wasn´t a problem at all. With the change of the shutter time it worked again.
What does that mean? It is obvious that a camera with IR uses more power when the IR is on. That is fact.
You didnt take the camera down to test properly, just relied on some trial and error estimates with respect to power supplies and how much loss they would suffer under longer runs.

Reaction score
Hello, Im a new member and I signed up because 2 cameras are giving this same issue and I wanted to share my experience as well as see if there was a fix.

This issue has been happening to me for a while and I was able to resolve one camera and not the other. I have a flood light about 10 ft next one of the cameras, that light blew out and since then that camera would continuously freeze and reboot. I changed the bulb and that problem went away completely. Next to my other camera there is also a light there but I dont have control over that and when that light gets turned off the camera freezes and starts rebooting itself as well. Im going to buy a solar led light and install it in from of the camera to see if that fixes the problem that only occurs at night and when the lights in from of the cameras get turned off.

Im not an expert maybe a novice, installed my own system for my shop where I work on phones. But my guess is it has something to do the cameras and the light changing. I have 8 different cameras on the 7608nvr and only these 2 outdoor cameras has this issue.

Could there something wrong with whatever it is that says theres light outside, either by fixture or natural?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, Im a new member and I signed up because 2 cameras are giving this same issue and I wanted to share my experience as well as see if there was a fix.

This issue has been happening to me for a while and I was able to resolve one camera and not the other. I have a flood light about 10 ft next one of the cameras, that light blew out and since then that camera would continuously freeze and reboot. I changed the bulb and that problem went away completely. Next to my other camera there is also a light there but I dont have control over that and when that light gets turned off the camera freezes and starts rebooting itself as well. Im going to buy a solar led light and install it in from of the camera to see if that fixes the problem that only occurs at night and when the lights in from of the cameras get turned off.

Im not an expert maybe a novice, installed my own system for my shop where I work on phones. But my guess is it has something to do the cameras and the light changing. I have 8 different cameras on the 7608nvr and only these 2 outdoor cameras has this issue.

Could there something wrong with whatever it is that says theres light outside, either by fixture or natural?
It is a power related issue. Check your crimps. Ensure the cable is wired to the 568b standard.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the problem that only occurs at night and when the lights in from of the cameras get turned off.
I agree with @fenderman as to likely cause.
It does depend on how you are powering the cameras.
You could get this with a passive PoE splitter due to voltage drop along the cable.
When the light level drops, the camera IR comes on, the power required almost doubles, if incorrectly powered / wired the resulting voltage drop stops the camera working.

Reaction score
It is a power related issue. Check your crimps. Ensure the cable is wired to the 568b standard.
Once the person I lent my ladder brings it back to me, Ill run a new wire and post results. I purchased ready to go wires TBH, as Ive mentioned Im a novice but pretty good with following instructions carefully. This system was pretty much plug and play, except for the port forwarding and app access.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Once the person I lent my ladder brings it back to me, Ill run a new wire and post results. I purchased ready to go wires TBH, as Ive mentioned Im a novice but pretty good with following instructions carefully. This system was pretty much plug and play, except for the port forwarding and app access.
how long is the run and what brand of cable?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But how are the cameras powered?

If you are feeding 12v through passive PoE splitters you may not need to replace the cable, just change to an active PoE injector.

Reaction score
how long is the run and what brand of cable?
It is a pre-made cable with power cable. I ran 8 cameras to my system all using the same cables, this camera is the only one giving me problems. I purchased a 4 line power adapter splitter.

But how are the cameras powered?

If you are feeding 12v through passive PoE splitters you may not need to replace the cable, just change to an active PoE injector.
How can I use the POE injector with the NVR? I thought the NVR supplied power to the cameras as well.