Hikvision DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A) 2MP Ultra Low-light for vehicle license plate capture

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Looking at getting an Hikvision DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A) 2MP for car number plate capture. If anyone has used or had any experience with this camera I would be most interested in there opinion.

The vehicles would be about 25m away from the camera location. The camera would be pole mounted. Vehicles passing by would be in the 20 to 70kph speed range and coming toward the camera.

I wanted to stay with Hikvision equipment as the rest of the gear I have is all Hik.

Would this be a good solution ?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A) 2MP Ultra Low-light for vehicle license plate captur

Ya, that is the new Darkfighter *stuff* - very cool, and that is the only model you can currently get. I doubt anyone has one yet, they have several models with the Darkfighter tech - but thet aren't out yet. This series of cameras highly interested me too, but it's too soon for them (although that model is available - albeit at a high price premium).

You will be on the cutting edge with that - and the cutting edge is a lonely place. :D

If you do end up getting one please post back and let us know how it is - there are several people here on the board drooling over them (I'm one of them). It's too pricey for a GP camera, however, for doing license plate capture it is price competitive to the higher end cameras. There are peeps hear who do that with less expensive cameras - if you search the forum for "license plate capture" you will find many threads on the subject. :cool:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A) 2MP Ultra Low-light for vehicle license plate captur

Here's the dealio, that Hikvision camera with typical low level of support you get from Chinese manufacturers will cost you as much as the Bosch and Axis cameras and maybe double the Samsung and nobody has any clue if it's any good or worse, if it will even work with LPR software. Wow, the love of Hikvision transcends common logic, LOL.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Here's the dealio, that Hikvision camera with typical low level of support you get from Chinese manufacturers will cost you as much as the Bosch and Axis cameras and maybe double the Samsung and nobody has any clue if it's any good or worse, if it will even work with LPR software. Wow, the love of Hikvision transcends common logic, LOL.
Yuppers, the cutting edge can make you bleed, there is a reason it's called the "cutting edge". :)

I am interested in that series though when they are fully released (and there is some USA support) and there price is in the $300 range.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Are you planning on doing lpr with software? Or just want to be able to see the plates?
Just need a clear image of the plate at this point.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Plan B was a Hikvision DS-2CD2T32-I8 (3.0MP). The only problems are I need a 30mm lens and if the lens would fit within the enclosure. The biggest lens you can order this camera with is a 16mm.

The only reason I wanted to stay with Hikvision was because my four other cameras and NVR are make by them and it keeps it all as simple as possible.:D

Any suggestions where I might find a 30mm lens that would work?

Attachments

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Have you looked at the speed dome cameras? Here is one I was looking at, I know it's a dahua, however, Hikvision makes them too. Also there are several box cameras with CS camera mounts that have zoom lenses that go to over 100mm, the Hikvision DS-2CD853F-E can be had for under $300. You would need an enclosure for protection - but they make them. The speed domes are pricey - but the Dahua at $700 (and that's a deal - the camera is normally $1400+) is in the same price range as the Darkfighter camera you were looking at.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hereu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Darkfighter is coming to the 4-line and supposed to be available through authorised UK distributors around March/ April.

I'm not sure about NZ availability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Darkfighter is coming to the 4-line and supposed to be available through authorised UK distributors around March/ April.

Thanks for this info!

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

It available in New Zealand now. Its just a bit expensive.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Do you know the model numbers of the Bosch, Axis & Samsung cameras that would be equivalent to the Hik

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Had a bit more of a look round your website and found this

[video]https://youtu.be/-XVJbYIxaOQ?t=92[/video]

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Thanks for the video. Looks really good.

Do you have any plans to adapt this software so it can be installed in a Android /Linux environment?

What is the cost of the software?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

If you can put up with the need for an extra .0001 of a lux there is a 4 series camera with almost the same low light performance as the 6026 in the DS-2CD4026FWD. About US$350 delivered to the land of the long white cloud. I'm doing licence plate capture with an older Dahua 5MP box cam that has a minimum lighting of 0.1lux, a fujinon 12.5 - 50mm lens, and a sub $50 illuminator. With the ANPR programs be a bit wary. There aren't many written with Australian number plate format in mind, and the 8th state is an even smaller market so don't expect something tailored to fit. You can get the software but it is not cheap. I toyed with Open ALPR without much success.
[h=1][/h]

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

If you can put up with the need for an extra .0001 of a lux there is a 4 series camera with almost the same low light performance as the 6026 in the DS-2CD4026FWD. About US$350 delivered to the land of the long white cloud. I'm doing licence plate capture with an older Dahua 5MP box cam that has a minimum lighting of 0.1lux, a fujinon 12.5 - 50mm lens, and a sub $50 illuminator. With the ANPR programs be a bit wary. There aren't many written with Australian number plate format in mind, and the 8th state is an even smaller market so don't expect something tailored to fit. You can get the software but it is not cheap. I toyed with Open ALPR without much success.
Hi, Thanks for the information. What did your camera perform like at night? Could you read the number plates in the photos and the software wouldn't recognise it, or was it more the picture just wasn't good enough to start with?

What were the problems you had with Open ALPR?

In my situation the cars are going past the camera at between 20 to 80Kmh with very average street lighting. So without a good low light camera it is going to be challenging.

The pictures from the existing camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS) during the day are spot on and you can easily read number plates at all speeds. It would be interesting to see how Open ALPR or ANPR would go with the existing camera.

I was wondering if you could run either Open ALPR or ANPR on a Stick PC. Something like one of these (@ vlkc you maybe able to answer this) :

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-stick-pcs/

http://www.amazon.com/intel-compute-stick-windows-boxstck1a32wfcr/dp/b00w8t61o0/

If possible it would be a cheap way to get LPR.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Hi, Thanks for the information. What did your camera perform like at night? Could you read the number plates in the photos and the software wouldn't recognise it, or was it more the picture just wasn't good enough to start with?
Plate is very easily readable by the human eye at night but the image is grainy because I have the gain all the way up

What were the problems you had with Open ALPR?
It just wouldn't read the local plates. It did not matter how good an image I gave it to work with.
In my situation the cars are going past the camera at between 20 to 80Kmh with very average street lighting. So without a good low light camera it is going to be challenging.
My situation is similar. You will have no issues with the 4 series over the 6 series dark fighter. you will need an illuminator. Mine was sub $50 and works ok. It was bought for proof of concept but is still going strong. Will replace it with a better one when it dies. Am also considering moving to a 4 series camera as well.
The pictures from the existing camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS) during the day are spot on and you can easily read number plates at all speeds. It would be interesting to see how Open ALPR or ANPR would go with the existing camera.
Any mega pixel IP cam will do that by day. Night is where it gets tricky.

Attachments

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I notice that is a stationary target and the plate in that image is almost perfectly perpendicular to the camera. How does your system go when the vehicle is moving at speed and the camera is offset?