Hikvision DS-7108NI-E1 NVR turn off or disable wifi

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can turn off or disable wifi on the Hikvision DS-7108NI-E1 NVR?

I managed to finally upgrade the firmware to latest to get it out of router mode, so I can actually log into the damned thing, but there's no option to disable the wifi radio, only set the AP details.

Can this be done via telnet over LAN or PuTTY via serial/COM? Wondering if there's a simple davinci command to turn off the radio there if I can find it on the serial port on the circuit board.

I have an existing wifi network that is bulletproof, the forced wifi network AP mode on the NVR is just causing all sorts of havoc and I have it wired to the LAN anyway.

I bought this for a) small form factor b) price c) I don't need anything beyond an 8ch device.

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
BACKGROUND/PROBLEM: In case anyone else thinks this may be helpful, I solved my own problem, which is that I have an existing wireless network and I do not want the NVR to either act as a router or an AP. Initially, I upgraded the firmware to version V3.4.80 build 160817, which enables setting the service mode (router vs. AP) and flipped the switch in the NVR web interface to be an AP; however, I believe one can do this directly via the Realtek firmware in the wlan settings as well ('mode': Set Operation Mode enable).

Further, when the NVR detects cameras on the network, it automatically applies the wlan settings to those cameras. For me this ripped all of my cameras off of the existing wifi network further complicating the installation. This was another reason I wanted the wlan disabled and radio OFF.

Because there is no configuration to turn off WLAN or radio in the Hikvision NVR firmware, one has to do it directly within the Realtek firmware layer.

CONNECTION: There are two TTL ports when you open up the bottom of the unit. You want to plug into the one closest to the bottom. This accesses the Realtek bootloader layer. The other is the standard Hikvision layer.

20200718_120152.jpg

20200718_120045.jpg

PROCEDURE:
0. Get your PuTTY, TTL interface set up and ready to go. COMX + 115500kbps Turn on the NVR unit and wait for boot.
1. You will boot into the bootloader. 'help' displays available commands.
2. 'go' will load the Realtek kernel.
3. allow the unit to boot for a minute or two until you get a prompt..
4. You will then see an 'AP#' prompt
5. '?' displays a list of commands.
6. You want to go into 'configuration'
7. Prompt should say 'AP(config)#'
8. '?' displays a list of commands.
9. In my experience, there are two areas to configure the WLAN and associated networks/radios: 'wlan' and 'wlan-vap0' (the latter of which is perhaps a built-in wlan with SSID of 'davinci', which I want to turn off anyway). I repeated steps 10+ for both of these.
10. 'wlan' displays all settings.
11. You want to now disable wlan: 'wlan disable 1', which sets the disable setting to true ('1').
12. You want to now disable (for good measure since this setting exists, we might as well turn it off) 'func_off': 'wlan func_off 1', which sets the setting to true ('1') (Setting described in console as 'Set Wi-Fi func-off' -- seems like maybe the radio?)
13. Repeat steps 10-12 for 'wlan-vap0'.
14. Confirm your settings by navigating up the settings tree via 'end'
15. 'show' displays settings
16. 'show wlan' and 'show wlan-vap0' to displays available settings that can be displayed.
17. 'show wlan config' displays current configuration.
18. verify 'WLAN DISABLED' is '1'
19. 'show wlan station' will display active stations (Access Points). This should be empty.
20. repeat fsteps 17-20 for 'wlan-vap0'.
21. reboot the unit via 'restart' command.
22. verify that the original wireless network is no longer visible on 3rd party devices.
23. hardwire the NVR via LAN cable in any of the lan ports, 1, 2, or 3 on the back.
24. enjoy what this NVR was supposed to be... (there are also MANY more settings hidden in the RealTek chipset that may be useful, too.)

WHAT'S NEXT:
a) I plan to replace the 1TB drive that came with the unit with a much larger SSD for cooling/performance purposes
b) I may investigate upgrading the Realtek chipset firmware later on, but for now it's not necessary.
c) Investigate if there is a later firmware version -- I read there may be a version 3.4.91, but not sure if that is publicly available?

Hope this helps make this NVR unit more useful than it was out of the box.

adon25

n3wb
Reaction score
BACKGROUND/PROBLEM: In case anyone else thinks this may be helpful, I solved my own problem, which is that I have an existing wireless network and I do not want the NVR to either act as a router or an AP. Initially, I upgraded the firmware to version V3.4.80 build 160817, which enables setting the service mode (router vs. AP) and flipped the switch in the NVR web interface to be an AP; however, I believe one can do this directly via the Realtek firmware in the wlan settings as well ('mode': Set Operation Mode enable).

Further, when the NVR detects cameras on the network, it automatically applies the wlan settings to those cameras. For me this ripped all of my cameras off of the existing wifi network further complicating the installation. This was another reason I wanted the wlan disabled and radio OFF.
I can't seem to change the router mode to AP mode.
How did you do it?
FYI, I have updated the firmware to 3.4.80 too.