Hikvision DS-7204HGHI-SH firmware upgrade

dragonn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have bought and DVR Hikvision DS-7204HGHI-SH, it run's firmware V3.3.1 build 151105 is they any newer firmware?

The main problem is that the www access doesn't run on Chrome :/, didn't try it on Firefox because I run Linux and the webcomponets plugin is really old.......

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The main problem is that the www access doesn't run on Chrome :/,
Despite being promised for November 2015, it seems unlikely that Live View / Playback will ever work on a current, unmodified version of Chrome since they removed support for NPAPI plugins as part of security improvements.

However - I have not used this myself, so can't attest to how well it work, but it's been favourably posted about - 'IEtab for Chrome' may be worth a look if you have a Windows (virtual) machine:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ie-tab/hehijbfgiekmjfkfjpbkbammjbdenadd
But I suppose if you can run a Windows VM you may as well run IE.

I also run Linux (Mint) and have found that a Windows installation under the Oracle VM VirtualBox (free for home usrs) works pretty well for access to Hikvision NVRs via webcomponents. VirtualBox is pretty impressive, in my view.
For the Hikvision cameras - the VLC or QuickTime plugin selection works OK in Firefox.

dragonn

n3wb
Reaction score
That is sad :/, they should move from NPAPI away to pure HTML5, modern browsers can support video streaming without any plugins. VirutalBox is a big overkill and that problem is that I need to have my computer with me.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
VirutalBox is a big overkill and that problem is that I need to have my computer with me.
Certainly needs a few GB of disc space - but CPU and RAM resources are quite configurable.
Win7 boots in 9secs into a a couple of GB of RAM. Pretty good on a non-SSD-based Linux box.

dragonn

n3wb
Reaction score
Certainly needs a few GB of disc space - but CPU and RAM resources are quite configurable.
Win7 boots in 9secs into a a couple of GB of RAM. Pretty good on a non-SSD-based Linux box.
It is easier to use the iVMS-4200 beta for Linux or run it via Wine then use Vbox.