Hikvision DS-7208HWI-SH Bricked After Firmware Upgrade Attempt

Reaction score
Hi all, was having issues getting e-mail alerts and decided to update my DS-7208HWI-SH with the latest firmware (was previously running v2.x).

New Firmware:
Baseline Firmware_DVR (7208/7308HWI-SH)_En_V3.1.4_build150430(new)

I tried flashing the firmware through an older version of iVMS 4200 on my Mac, by logging into the DVR using the remote configuration utility within the application. It looked like it would finish, but then gave a network error at the very end. Tried it a second time and it did the same thing. I figured a reboot might be required to apply the update. Well.. I rebooted and now can no longer access the device either over my network or on my monitor that is directly connected to it. Upon reviewing my connected devices on my router, I see the DVR connected to my network (via a DHCP assigned address instead of the static IP that I had previously set on the DVR itself). I can successfully ping the DVR (identified via it's MAC address).

I've since updated my iVMS 4200 software on my Mac and PC but cannot get the device to show up. Power light is solid green and the TX/RX light flashes green as well.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
That's surprising, considering you can ping the device at a DHCP-issued IP address.
Right now, the DVR is connected to a wireless bridge (as it always has been). I will try the SADP app again this afternoon once I get my DVR connected to the same physical switch and see if I have any luck. Thanks again for your insight!

Reaction score
Able to connect via TFTP and it begins transmitting the file, but even after 20 min it is stuck in the below step:

Completed file [file path] transmit

It never gets to the system update completed step. I've tried turning the DVR and restarting the TFTP process, but same result. Any advice?

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems there is a problem with it running the updated firmware.
I think the next step would be to take the lid off and see if it has the same serial console connector as Hikvision cameras and other NVRs.
The serial console should give a good indication of what the underlying problem is.
Assuming the connector is there, you would a serial to TTL USB convertor, and a wired connector.
If you do a forum search for 'Hikvision uart' there will be lots of hits, with images, or take a look here for some info:
Hikvision DS7604NI-E1 bricked. HELP!

Reaction score
Thanks so much, alastairsteenson! Quick update- I spoke with Hikvision customer support yesterday and the tech claimed that I was updating the wrong firmware for my device. He said my unit was a legacy US model and that they didn't post the firmware directly on their website. He then followed up by uploading the baseline firmware (and all subsequent updates) to a private FTP site for me to access. He sent me instructions on how to try and flash the unit to unbrick it (attached here). However, upon obtaining the serial-usb cable, I couldn't find the serial port on the unit.

After reading your post above, it seems that I have to open the lid to access this port and it isn't a standard cable that I'd be using? Doh, I feel like an idiot! Will open it shortly and report back with a picture of what's under the hood..

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting! That sounds like an unusually good and helpful response from Hikvision.
The instructions match how you would use the serial console to update.
Your back panel view suggests there isn't an RS232 interface on the back.
I'd say from the main board image that JP2, the 4-pin connector next to the SATA cable in use, looks like the serial console connector.
If it's like the newer NVRs and cameras - this is likely to be a serial TTL type of interface, not classic RS232. Same type of signalling used, just different signal levels. But with an older NVR, I'm not 100% sure.

As you have what is apparently the right firmware now from Hikvision - it may be worth trying it with a tftp update process.
You never know - it may just work.

Reaction score
Interesting! That sounds like an unusually good and helpful response from Hikvision.
The instructions match how you would use the serial console to update.
Your back panel view suggests there isn't an RS232 interface on the back.
I'd say from the main board image that JP2, the 4-pin connector next to the SATA cable in use, looks like the serial console connector.
If it's like the newer NVRs and cameras - this is likely to be a serial TTL type of interface, not classic RS232. Same type of signalling used, just different signal levels. But with an older NVR, I'm not 100% sure.

As you have what is apparently the right firmware now from Hikvision - it may be worth trying it with a tftp update process.
You never know - it may just work.
Yeah, I called right before they closed yesterday and lucked out with a tier 2 tech that knew what he was talking about. I tried flashing with the new file via the same TFTP process first and it failed the same way as the original attempts (completed file transmit step). Bummer!

Would I follow the same cables mentioned in the other thread? I called back today as the original instructions referenced a RS-232 cable that is obviously no longer in play here, but they refuse to give me any more details into the flashing process that they do in-house. "Special tools" that support referred to are probably the TTL-USB + the wired connector, but this unit is from 2013, so who knows. I wish they would just tell me, as I think I'm more than capable of doing this on my own without having to send it in (which is also an issue, because I'm way out of warranty).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the firmware that they sent is valid - I'm sure you will manage the serial console connection with the USB serial to TTL converter, and the right type of wired connector - there is useful info via the links posted above. Micro JST 4-pin 1.5mm should be a valid search term on your favourite on-line site.
The procedure when you get there is very straightforward.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your help with this, alastairstevenson! Just to be clear, once I obtain the USB to TTL converter and the wired connector, should I follow the flashing instructions in the PDF they sent me (attached in an above post)? Attaching a closer up view, I think you were referring to JP3, right?

In regards to obtaining the correct cables.. The threads above have several mentioned.

This looks like a properMicro JST cable:
JST 1.5mm ZH 4-Pin Female Connector with Wire and Male connector x 10 SETS | eBay

And would this be the proper adapter?
https://www.amazon.com/Armorview-PL2303HX-RS232-Module-Converter/dp/B008AGDTA4/

Is there a basic schematic that shows board > cable > USB-TTL adapter > PC? The closest I've found is this, which shows the JST cable:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/uart-connection-to-recover-hik-cameras.2597/

But how does the JST cable connect to the USB-TTL adapter?

Thanks again in advance!!

Attachments

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops - did I use the wrong reference? Sorry, I did mean the 4-pin connector next to where the SATA cable is connected.
Your links sound ok, but I've not checked destinations directly as I'm out and about on the phone just now.
Don't worry just yet about the wiring - there were some recent posts with good detail, I'll see if I can find them later.

Reaction score
So I decided to pay a visit to the Hikvision Us HQ in City of Industry with the DVR, and to my surprise (and embarrassment) upon their testing, it worked! I never checked to see if the correct firmware took with my last TFTP attempt (I assumed since it hung at the very step, since it never gave the upgrade success message)

Anyway, it was loaded with the baseline 2.2.0 firmware that I had flashed! I had them upgrade it to the latest (3.0.2) and left a happy camper. The techs were amazing to deal with! Extremely friendly and patient.

Now the question is.. should I keep my existing wiring in place and just purchase HD-TVI (turboHd) cams and DVR or rip and replace everything with IP.. decisions, decisions..

Thanks again for all the help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
had them upgrade it to the latest (3.0.2) and left a happy camper. The techs were amazing to deal with! Extremely friendly and patient.
You've had a really good customer experience with Hikvision, in stark contrast to what's usually recounted on this forum when help has been requested from them. How good for their brand would that be if it was more common!
Good luck with your future decision to move on to an IP-based surveillance solution ...

MDTSUK

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. It's been a lifesaver for recovering my Hikvision DVR DS-7204HGHI-DS, after I installed an incompatible firmware update from a Hikvision US download site (I'm in the UK).

To summarise my experience, and clarify some things on this thread:
  1. You need a USB-TTL UART, I got this one:
  2. Also a Micro JST ZH 1.5mm connector, I got this one: 10 Sets Micro JST ZH 1.5mm 4 Pin Male Female Connector Wires Cables 15cm
  3. Wiring USB/Serial > JST Connector
    • Serial RXD > JST Black
    • Serial TXD > JST Yellow
    • Serial GND > JST Red
    • The JST White wire is not used.
  4. Download a suitable firmware file, mine was here: DOWNLOAD PORTAL
  5. Follow the PDF guide above in post #8 by 49rfaithful
All I wanted to do was get TLS enabled for email accounts. Anyway, I'm back up and running again, and learnt a few things on the way.

Thanks Again!!

Oh, and a photo of the connector if it helps...

Attachments

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.