Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P Update Firmware and Forgotten Password

NWBrian

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P the last couple of years. At the time I didn't need internet connectivity because I didn't have anything better than dialup in my rural location. I had turned off Enable Password at the time. Now that I have broadband, I'd like to connect it to my home network and set it up so I can log in remotely and have it e-mail pictures, a good reason to re-enable the password. But I've forgotten it! I have tried the password reset tool found on this site, but that didn't work. Furthermore, it seems the e-mail picture function does not work on V3.3.1 firmware that the NVR came with, so I'd like to upgrade the Firmware. I'd like to reset the password before I begin any of this. I see under System Maintenance that there are three options, Restore Defaults, Factory Defaults and Restore to Inactive. Would one of these reset the password? Or would this happen if I just upgraded the Firmware as-is?

Thanks for the help!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use "Restore to Inactive". With that option, next time the device restarts it will ask you to create a new admin password.