Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P & DS-2CD2042WD-I ENDLESS ISSUES

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a DS-7608 NI-E2/8P NVR to work with two 4MP Hikvison Bullet Cameras.

After installing this system I have had endless issues and would appreciate any help as I am near returning the entire system back to amazon.

1. Playback at 2688 X 1520 or 1920 X 1080 will not work. I am just left with empty grey sections after selecting the camera. I have tried on Windows 10, IE, Firefox and on El Capitan, Safari and Firefox. I have tried changing the connection type from TCP to UDP with no change. The only time I may be able to playback at 1080p UDP would be at night...Bandwidth issue? I'm running on a wired gigabit network.

2. One of the two cameras keeps skipping during recording resulting in missing footage.

3. I cannot download the video on both OS X browsers as I get the error "Downloading Failed" even after changing the local dir.

4. Downloaded video via windows 10 during playback is no fluent and if skipped a few minutes along the video becomes pixelated an greyed out until motion moves across a certain part of the screen but never recovers back to normal.

I'm only running two 4MP cameras on this NVR and I see that it supports 5MP.

I also have no had any luck with IVMS for either Windows or OS X. Playback fails, live view fails and the program freezes when I try to download.

As you can see my first impression of this system are very poor. Browser viewing, playback etc. seems to be non-existent.

Live View via the iPhone app however seems to be better, however is not completely fluent and playback again does not load.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the model numbers of the cameras?

If live view is working better on the iPhone then it sounds like you have a bandwidth issue. How is everything connected?

Don't use OSX trying to set this up if you have a Windows 10 machine handy.

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
What's the model numbers of the cameras?

If live view is working better on the iPhone then it sounds like you have a bandwidth issue. How is everything connected?

Don't use OSX trying to set this up if you have a Windows 10 machine handy.
Okay,

Here is a link to the two cameras I have connected.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_157_i5608.html

Is the DS-7608 NI-E2/8P capable of running two 4MP cameras or do I need something more powerful?

Thanks

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Just I notice in the specs for the DS-7608 NI-E2/8P they don't specify 4MP playback like they do on the DS-7700NI-I4/16P NVR for example.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It supports 4MP, thousands of people on here have that NVR and 4MP. You literally have done almost no research, so attempting to self-diagnose now is even more stupid.

DS-7608NI-E2/8P has a powerful CPU, it can run 8x 4MP cameras no problem.

How is everything connected? I'm guessing there is some CCA somewhere.

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
It supports 4MP, thousands of people on here have that NVR and 4MP. You literally have done almost no research, so attempting to self-diagnose now is even more stupid.

DS-7608NI-E2/8P has a powerful CPU, it can run 8x 4MP cameras no problem.

How is everything connected? I'm guessing there is some CCA somewhere.

Thanks for the clarification.

Everything's connected using CAT6 STP Cable.

I've found using just the windows 10 machine a lot better. It may sound strange but at night the live preview seems to load a lot better than in the day.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

Everything's connected using CAT6 STP Cable.

I've found using just the windows 10 machine a lot better. It may sound strange but at night the live preview seems to load a lot better than in the day.
It's 99.99% bandwidth in that case. Every camera is connected with Cat6? And the NVR is connected to your computer via a Gigabit switch with Cat6 or via Wifi?

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes both cameras are connected via cat6 and the connection from the nvr to my gigabit switch is cat6.

So it's looking more likely to be a home networking issue rather than the nvr.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes both cameras are connected via cat6 and the connection from the nvr to my gigabit switch is cat6.

What happens if you plug in a monitor? And then download recordings from different cameras onto a USB stick and play back using VLC on a PC

What settings do you have the cameras set to? Maybe you have something stupid or crazy there.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What about the computer your trying to display them on? if its on Wifi then there's your problem.. plug it into the GigE switch and see if the problems persist.

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
What happens if you plug in a monitor? And then download recordings from different cameras onto a USB stick and play back using VLC on a PC

What settings do you have the cameras set to? Maybe you have something stupid or crazy there.
I've downloaded a few recordings and used VLC to view the video and they do play, however seems to pause and jump a couple of seconds and then some started to distort badly (pixelated and green overlay) I tried copying the video to my SSD to rule out memory stick speed issues and that made no difference.

Both cameras are set to;

Stream Type: Main Stream (Normal)
Resolution: 2688 X 1520
Bitrate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Higher
Frame Rate: 15
Max. Bitrate: 6144
Video Encoding H.264
H.264+ OFF

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
What about the computer your trying to display them on? if its on Wifi then there's your problem.. plug it into the GigE switch and see if the problems persist.
I've tried wired gigabit and the problems are still the same.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, you can't use Wifi unless you have a really good setup. I have to use my 5GHz MIMO wireless to get real-time to work properly. 150Mbps 802.11n just can't hack it.

Download this and try watching again. You are having codec issues if it's green and distorted.

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Software/00 Software Tool Package/00 File Player/Windows VSPlayer/

Ok will use wired. Just tried VSPlayer and working better with no distortion however still pauses and flickers between video and a black screen now. So frustrating.

Thanks for all your help though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had your problems 2 and 4 with the exact same NVR and cameras and spent endless hours looking for solutions. I concluded that the lack of 4MP support listed in the specs explained it all. I sold the DS-7608 NI-E2/8P and bought a DS-7608NI-I2/8P on AliExpress. Now the system works as it should. I don't think you'll ever be able to get that NVR to completely work with the 4MP cameras...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had your problems 2 and 4 with the exact same NVR and cameras and spent endless hours looking for solutions. I concluded that the lack of 4MP support listed in the specs explained it all. I sold the DS-7608 NI-E2/8P and bought a DS-7608NI-I2/8P on AliExpress. Now the system works as it should. I don't think you'll ever be able to get that NVR to completely work with the 4MP cameras...
Not this complete rubbish again. DS-7608NI-E2/8P supports 4MP no problem. Your talking crap because of PEBCAK. Telling people to sell their E2 and get an I2 is like those idiots justifying their Sricam's with amazing 640x480 images.

Hundreds on here have people have got it working and probably tens of thousands of Hikvision customers.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have this NVR working completely with 4MP cams? There are many posts on this forum from many others documenting this problem. When I was looking for solutions to this the only "help" you gave me was essentially telling me I was an idiot and that it my n00bie fault but not offering any concrete suggestions. I spent weeks trying everything I could troubleshooting in every way. Then I contacted Hikvision and they told me that the NVR actually didn't completely support 4MP cams and pointed me to the specs. Then I bought the new NVR, using the same exact setup, and the problems all vanished. How else could this "rubbish" be explained?

Not this complete rubbish again. DS-7608NI-E2/8P supports 4MP no problem. Your talking crap because of PEBCAK. Telling people to sell their E2 and get an I2 is like those idiots justifying their Sricam's with amazing 640x480 images.

Hundreds on here have people have got it working and probably tens of thousands of Hikvision customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have this NVR working completely with 4MP cams? There are many posts on this forum from many others documenting this problem. When I was looking for solutions to this the only "help" you gave me was essentially telling me I was an idiot and that it my n00bie fault but not offering any concrete suggestions. I spent weeks trying everything I could troubleshooting in every way. Then I contacted Hikvision and they told me that the NVR actually didn't completely support 4MP cams and pointed me to the specs. Then I bought the new NVR, using the same exact setup, and the problems all vanished. How else could this "rubbish" be explained?
Yes, I do have the exact same model (well it's my for my sister) working fine. So do lots of others. Yours doesn't work doesn't mean that it doesn't support 4MP cameras. I never called you an idiot, but if you insist on sprouting this rubbish then you are an idiot. The main problem is that people come here and ask for help, helpful members suggest to try something they don't want to try this because they seem to know better. Why ask for help then? You'll have noticed that maybe people with this supposed issue have had it fixed when they change a few things.

Did you ever have a 4MP camera working with your old DS-7604NI-E1/4P, yes you did. It's supported.

Hikvision told you that the NVR you got off Aliexpress didn't support 4MP cameras and that you should get another off Aliexpress but the I2 model instead? Even the old DS-7608NI-SE/P supports 4MP providing you update to the R6 firmware.

If it didn't work for you then something you did was wrong. Easy as that. Simply telling people DS-7608NI-E2/8P doesn't support 4MP because you had an issue is wrong. Problem 4 is a codec issue which we've solved by giving OP the correct player. What's that got to do with the model number? The encoding is done by the camera!

OP does not need to change his NVR model. 99% of this is incorrect setup, cabling or something stupid. This is why I always ask OP for more info so we can help.

On a side note, it's always nice when someone you've tried to help in the past (gmail? the small screenshot stuff? forgot about those?) throws it back in your face.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P & DS-2CD2042WD-I ENDLESS ISSUES

No you never called me an idiot, but you kind of implied at the time, as you sometimes do, that people who had these problems with this NVR were. Del Boy, you are one of the most active and helpful members of this forum, and you can be harsh at times too. You know a hell of a lot more than I do and you've helped me personally a lot, even in posts that I haven't actively participated in, and I thank you for that.

With that hopefully cleared up, no I never could get any of my 4MP cameras work consistently with that NVR whereas the one 3MP camera worked flawlessly. After many emails Hikvision did finally point me to their specs for the DS-7608 NI-E2/8P and did point out that 4MP cams were specifically not listed as supported. I tried everything you and everyone else here suggested, from cable changes, resets, firmware upgrades and downgrades, setting changes, the whole lot. I spent months, literally. I don't doubt that there are some DS-7608 NI-E2/8P's that function correctly and I shouldn't have suggested that the OP should give up like I did, but I wanted to tell him the fact that I did finally give up and bought the new NVR and I have none of the issues that I had with his NVR.

I misspoke about my also having problem 4, my main headache was problem 2, the invisible non-recording gaps. Playback and recording worked, there were just lots of random gaps in the recording that didn't show in the timeline. I finally tired after the months of fiddling and I bought the DS-7608NI-I2/8P that does list 4MP support and it worked and I wanted to let the OP know that. I didn't mean to discourage his and everyone else's attempt to solve his problems but I guess it turned out to appear that way.

Thanks again for all your help in the past.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P & DS-2CD2042WD-I ENDLESS ISSUES

A really well written response showing how much of a nice guy Vince really is.
Well, apologises for being curt, harsh and a bit OTT. I don't blame you for not being able to fix your issues, I blame Hikvision, especially if they said this and it wouldn't surprise me. With your case I understand sometimes enough is enough. It's also a reason why I try to recommend people buy everything from one decent supplier. I know this isn't always possible.

I genuinely don't want people wasting money (I actually get a bit frustrated when I see people paying $$$$ for complete rubbish when a little research can help), and I know I2 will have it's own issues too.

Well for problem 2, the more of these we try to fix the more we will know why that's happening. I hope OP can try some things and see what happens.