Hikvision DS-7608NI-Q2/8P Can't remote configure image settings from iVMS-4200

silverbug

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

We have multiple Hikvision NVRs all connected through Hik-Connect. Everything is working correctly except:

With two separate DS-7608NI-Q2/8P NVRs, using iVMS-4200 v3.5.0.7, on one I'm able to configure video and audio settings for each camera via:
Maintenance and Management-->Device-->(Select Device)-->Remote Configuration-->Image-->Video/Audio

The unit that works correctly is running firmware 3.4.100 180723, the unit that does not work is running the latest firmware 4.30.55 201111.

Is this a known issue that the latest firmware breaks, or is there a configuration change that needs to be made in newer firmware to enable the remote configuration feature?

Thanks in advance for your help

3.4.100 180723
3.4.100.jpg

4.30.55 201111
4.30.55.jpg
Images should be attached, please let me know if you need additional information.

tone308

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. There a 2 versions of the new software 1 will allow access to config and the other can only view try downloading IVMS-4200ac.

silverbug

n3wb
Reaction score
@tone308 Thank you for the suggestion. I did try loading the IVMS-4200ac to test it out; it does not support Hik-Connect, and we're already able to configure locally, which seems to be the ac version's primary purpose. Need to be able to configure remotely on the NVR's linked through Hik-Connect, and as I mentioned in the original post we're able to do so on the 3.x firmware but not on the 4.x.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
we're able to do so on the 3.x firmware but not on the 4.x.
Is there any difference in the enabled integration protocols or network services between the 2 devices?
The newer firmware has more options for disabling un-needed services and facilities, sometimes off by default.

silverbug

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any difference in the enabled integration protocols or network services between the 2 devices?
The newer firmware has more options for disabling un-needed services and facilities, sometimes off by default.
That was my thought, but I'm unaware of specific protocols or services that might prevent remote configuration. Any known items to check or suggested places to start looking?

tone308

n3wb
Reaction score
When first installing the software and installing the devices were it asks to add password for device in there is where there is a check box which need to be ticked to enable hik-connet on the new software.

silverbug

n3wb
Reaction score
@tone308 Both NVRs are successfully connected to Hik-Connect and all functions (live video, playback, etc) except the one in question are working correctly. The question is a matter of being able to remotely configure the cameras connected to each NVR through IVMS, which works on the 3.4.x firmware and not on the 4.30.x firmware. Thanks!

tone308

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so now you need to go to system settings , Then advanced settings , platform access mode, and click enable. Enter verification mode . That should give access from new version.

cr33p3r

n3wb
Reaction score
@tone308 Both NVRs are successfully connected to Hik-Connect and all functions (live video, playback, etc) except the one in question are working correctly. The question is a matter of being able to remotely configure the cameras connected to each NVR through IVMS, which works on the 3.4.x firmware and not on the 4.30.x firmware. Thanks!
Hi, i was just wondering whether you ever resolved this problem? I have this exact same problem. Thanks in advance.

silverbug

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i was just wondering whether you ever resolved this problem? I have this exact same problem. Thanks in advance.
Hi cr33p3r, I've spoken with the Hikvision engineering team, and unfortunately while not documented anywhere I could find, they do admit they've dropped this functionality by design in the 4.x firmware citing security considerations.

The closest workaround I've found is by logging into the NVR via IP from a browser in the local network (this may involve a remote desktop to a computer on the same network etc):
Choose Configuration Tab, then Network-->Advanced Settings-->Other and turning on (then saving) "Enable Virtual Host" (which creates a NAT bridge between your local network and the camera network segment)
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 09-57-20 Configuration.png
Then if you go to Camera Management --> IP Camera --> Now you'll have an entry in the "Connect" column that begins with ... for each camera, which you can use to login to each camera, using either your NVR credentials, or the camera credentials if you configured them individually. Although radically more complicated, via this method you do wind up with complete control over all the camera settings, not just the subset available through iVMS.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 09-53-19 Configuration.png
I hope you find this helpful!

Best regards.

cr33p3r

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply with this detailed explanation @silverbug. Very much appreciated.

I already had the virtual host setup but unfortunately this NVR doesn't belong to me. Setting up a computer to dial in isn't really an option for me.

It's a real shame the functionality was removed in V4. I may look in to moving to a newer model NVR (assuming the functionality is there in more up to date models).

Thanks again.