Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P & more than 8 cams

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Mike Johnson and I'm new here on IP Cam Talk. I've already found this to be a valuable resource and I've learned a tremendous amount from information here. I'm also new to IP cameras, having just replace an old analog system with a Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR and a bunch of Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS cameras. I've not had any trouble getting the system going, but I've run into an issue I didn't expect, so I'd like to ask if this is expected behavior.

The Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P NVR is a 16-channel NVR with a built-in 8-port POE switch. Reading the manual and various Hikvision Technical Bulletins, I expected to be able to connect a POE Ethernet switch to the NVR's internal switch and add cameras 9-16. Alas, this doesn't seem to work. It appears the NVR is limited to only having 8 cameras on the built-in camera subnet of 192.164.254.xxx. I can add cameras 9-16 as long as they are on the LAN side of the NVR (my home network).

Is this the expected behavior of Hikvision DS-7616NI-SE/P? It's not a huge deal for me to have the additional cameras on the LAN side. My plan was to have 9 or 10 cams total, so that's only two cams on my LAN. It does makes using WiFi on the cameras easier, but it also puts a lot of traffic across my home network that I'd rather not have there.

Is there any way to have more than 8 cams on the 192.168.254.xxx network?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
Mike Johnson

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Specifications
16CH NVR
1. 16CH Plug&Play
2. 8CH D1/16CH 720P/8CH 1080P/1CH 5MP
2. HDMI, 8CH PoE, 2 HDDs up to 8TB
4. Rack mounted
you need to limit the resolution of the cameras up to 1 megapixel

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting question - I don't think it's been heard (or tried?) before on here.
Apologies if this is what you've already tried - but this is what I'd do to test this out:

Take one of your spare cameras and connect it to the normal LAN.
Use Hikvision's SADP (if you haven't used this you should, it's an excellent tool) to set the camera IP address to say 192.168.254.20, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.254.1
On the PoE port that you will use for the uplink from the PoE switch, set the mode to 'manual' (not Plug & Play) and the IP address to something that won't be used such as 192.168.254.50
Connect the PoE switch uplink to that port, connect the spare camera to the switch. Power on the PoE switch, wait a minute for the camera to boot.

Under 'camera Management' in the NVR web GUI, add a camera with the IP address 192.168.254.20, Hikvision protocol, port 8000 and click OK.
Check Live View. Camera Management doesn't auto-refresh.

I'd be surprised if it works, but you never know. And not too hard to try.

By the way - WiFi and HD camera streams isn't a good combination - you will get dropouts.
And you might be interested in this if you haven't seen it already: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=sys/net/ipv4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am not having problems adding any cameras to to LAN side of the NVR. In fact, the NVR automatically found and added all cameras I was testing on the house WiFi without any intervention from me. They were added as Camera 9 and above.

On the POE side, I seem to be limited to eight cams, period. If I hook up 12 cams to the 192.168.254.xxx side of the NVR and give them all static addresses, I can connect to all 12 cameras, but no more than 8 at a time. They also have to be one of the first 8 cameras on the list of the NVR. (I hope that makes sense.) So, in the NVR, if I change the settings for D01 from 192.168.254.2 to 192.168.254.10, I can connect to the camera with IP 10 just fine.

In the NVR's camera setup, D01-D08 appear to be configured for the POE interface and D09-D16 appear to be configured for the LAN Interface. I expected a 16-Channel NVR to let me connect all 16 to the POE interface. I was actually surprised it let me add cameras on the LAN side. Looking through various versions of Hikvision manuals, it appears that assigning which ethernet interface you wanted to add a camera to is possible in some versions of the firmware. (There's a lot of stuff in my manual that's not available in my NVR.)

As far as WiFi, I'm not having any trouble making that work with these cameras. My POE Cam 8 is connected through a Trendnet POE WiFi Access Point. Physically, the camera is on my storage shed, monitoring my garage about 75 ft from the access point. I run 4-10 Mb/sec and the camera has never dropped. Also my Camera 9 is on my House WiFi network and I've not had trouble with it, either. I've been pleased and surprised that they stream wirelessly so well.

I was hoping to add Camera 9 to the NVR using the POE WiFi that's plugged into POE Port 8, but that's when I realized the NVR will only see 8 cameras on the POE interface. (That WiFi is directional toward my back yard and I wanted a camera on my garage to monitor the storage shed and back yard.) I can still make this work by shuffling cameras and IP's around. Another advantage to having the WiFi on the POE is that I can jump on the 192.168.254.xxx network with my laptop for troubleshooting.

I have read the thread you posted. The would probably allow me to have the camera that's on my home network have a 192.168.254.xxx address like all the other cameras, but it would still physically have to connect through the LAN interface on the NVR. I see no need to do that since the cams on my home network work fine now.

So back to my original question. D01-D08 appear to be configured for only the POE interface and D09-D16 appear to be configured for only the LAN Interface. Is this a correct observation?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From what you've described, it sounds like you've explored this apparent limitation comprehensively. I can't think of anything to add - it sounds like a designed-in limitation that's not been commented on here before, to my knowledge.
On my 7816N-E2/8P I haven't tried adding more than 8 cameras to the PoE interface, so never encountered the problem you're describing.
So back to my original question. D01-D08 appear to be configured for only the POE interface and D09-D16 appear to be configured for only the LAN Interface. Is this a correct observation?
Certainly in terms of naming, that's my observation. Even if the PoE channels are not completely filled, LAN connections start at D09.
And good that your WiFi is working well.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment. I just received an answer from Hikvision. What I observed is normal operation for this model. There can only be 8 devices connected to the POE side. Additional devices have to be on the LAN side. Now we all know.

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[QUOTE = mike_johnson; 30170] Спасибо за ваш комментарий. Я только что получил ответ от Hikvision. То, что я наблюдал это нормальная работа для этой модели. Там может быть только 8 устройств, подключенных к стороне POE. Дополнительные устройства должны быть на стороне LAN. Теперь мы все знаем. [/ QUOTE]
Now we all know. !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oleg, does this miss something in the translation, or is it one of those Russian phrases you are so fond of?
Well, you and dibil, how are you mad enough to learn to read?